Orange weather warning in Gascony last night (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Horrendous weather last night. We heard about the Orange weather warning but the weather seemed just great. We were sunning ourselves and watching some black clouds to the south that didn't seem to be moving when the weather front appeared at high speed over the trees from a different direction. We had no time to do anything, just ran to the awning and hung on. Debris was flying by, a large tin roof on a nearby shed was lifting, the air was thick with dust and leaves. There were four of us hanging on to the awning front for what seemed at least half an hour, THEN the lightening started, continuously flashing no more than 3 seconds between flashes at worst. So I quickly managed to take advantage of a slight drop in the wind to roll it back in.

The storm straps would have been useless, the awning was cracking like a lion tamer's whip. Guess what the moral is!! And in the past I've been quite happy leaving the awning out at night. Not any more. But we got off lightly. I've experienced bad weather in France before, but if that is an Orange warning, what's the Red like?

Reactions: DBK

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Phew, that sounds really scary. Glad no damage was done .... to people or property.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I also never leave the awning out over night since we had a huge storm in the Black Forest at midnight

Bent the awning a bit and would not wind in properly.

I also suspect a nearly naked me holding it down was not a pretty sight. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Had the same Airvault last night al calm then within 5 minutes we were in the midst of a violent tropical storm , horendous winds and lashing rain, trees coming down around us . Felt like Ahab and the whale fighting to get the awing in. Luckily the dish and awning were undamaged . Water was pouring out of us but skin is waterproof .
In daylight there were trees down all around the site one across a van and car. Luckily no casualties. Chain saws going all morning to clear up.
As you saw if in any doubt put awning and dish away .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Same in Ashbourne. We had lumps of ice hitting the roof I thought would break the plastic. Not checked the solar panel yet.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
All was calm and peaceful in Rhone Alpes last night, that sounds dreadful, just shows how quickly these storms develop.
I'll check the Meteo immediately. Hope you're all recovered now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back