orange flexible gas pipe (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Can't find any thing on this but when buying the orange gas pipe for external BBQ point, have been told can only be sold in max 2 mtr lengths by law. Has anyone else been told this?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can't find any thing on this but when buying the orange gas pipe for external BBQ point, have been told [HI]can only be sold in max 2 mtr lengths by law[/HI]. Has anyone else been told this?

yes.. that is correct.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I got a 1mtr length from C A K Tanks a couple of years ago, H&S could have reared it's ugly head by now though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
wot a load of ballcocks bought 18 inches from local hardware shop . they just want your cash .:whistle::boxing::getmecoat:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Is this one of these made up Heath and Safety regulations?

Can anyone produce the actual H&S document that states the limit is 2m.

Phone H&S and get the info from them I would suggest.

John

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If you are in Cornwall over the W/End P/M me I've got some extra lying around somewhere, won't take long to find it.:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ensure that wherever you get it from, that it is still well with date as pipes deteriorate due to ageing as well as usage - the date is usually printed on the pipe itself.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have been told the same but some sellers don't worry about it.

Just ask for 2x2m and ask them not to cut it in the middle:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
IIRC , the LPG regulations state that the max length of flexible hose for an LPG appliance is 1 mt .

I assume, (yes I know, it makes an ass out of u and me) The limit on length you can buy 'over the counter' is to stop people plumbing the whole installation in flexi hose. I'm thinking 'self builders' here , rather than constructors who will abide by the regulations.. we hope.

OP
OP
Goldenoldies
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Have been on H&S site only mentions about black and orange pipe and BS standard codes and life expectantcy, no mention of what length you can buy. Also checked Calor gas regulations again no mention of what length you can buy.Phoned another well known supplier who claims forgotten more than most know about this, and he says max length is 3m.so it's a grey area. I take on board that this would stop some people thinking of using it on a full installation in self builds. But why do people quote laws when they dont exist.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I feel I must ask...

If I wanna sell the stuff and order a roll of it, will it come in 2 mtr lengths ?? !

This sounds like another BS rule some retailers have adopted based on a rumour

A bit like the petrol stations that insist it is dangerous to fill a bike up while sitting on it and agin H & S ruling ( the same places that have spilt diesel all over the place which you slip on as you get OFF a bike !! )

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
IIRC , the LPG regulations state that the max length of flexible hose for an LPG appliance is 1 mt .

I assume, (yes I know, it makes an ass out of u and me) The limit on length you can buy 'over the counter' is to stop people plumbing the whole installation in flexi hose. I'm thinking 'self builders' here , rather than constructors who will abide by the regulations.. we hope.

Last time I bought some locally from our local calor store and I'm sure they would only sell it by 2 metre maximum lengths, we did only ever fit a 1 metre lengths from regulator to the brass fittings etc but now we only use the pigtails for the euro regulators, as for home builds believe me I have had to strip a good few out over the years that came to us totally plumbed up with the rubber hose in some cases even into the connection inside the grills on the old Flavel Vanessa cookers

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
find a local felt roof supplier or roofing supplier i bought a 5 mtr length for laying touch on roofing felt:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i was told the same thing only allowed to sell in 2 mtrs length max but you can get smaller i just got 2 x 2mtrs and joined em no problem

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

OYE!!:winky:
Last time I bought some locally from our local calor store and I'm sure they would only sell it by 2 metre maximum lengths, we did only ever fit a 1 metre lengths from regulator to the brass fittings etc but now we only use the pigtails for the euro regulators, as for home builds believe me I have had to strip a good few out over the years that came to us totally plumbed up with the rubber hose in some cases even into the connection inside the grills on the old Flavel Vanessa cookers

::bigsmile:
TERRY

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well very odd as I bought 4 metres last month without problem. Sounds like the BS rule here or another "thats what I have been told!!!!"

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I can get 17 mtrs NOW because thats all they have left on the roll :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is this one of these made up Heath and Safety regulations?

Can anyone produce the actual H&S document that states the limit is 2m.

Phone H&S and get the info from them I would suggest.

John
problem is, if the retailer says 2 mtrs only then 2 mtrs it is regardless of the regs....he is within his rights not to sell you any if he feels like it. :Angry:

i had this argument with the local country store.

i asked for 4mtrs.....he said 2 mtrs max.....i said ok 2 x 2mtr lengths and a hose connector, i shall then join the two lengths making one extra joint to leak.

stood his ground on 'H&E regs' and i couldnt prove otherwise.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
problem is, if the retailer says 2 mtrs only then 2 mtrs it is regardless of the regs....he is within his rights not to sell you any if he feels like it. :Angry:

i had this argument with the local country store.

i asked for 4mtrs.....he said 2 mtrs max.....i said ok 2 x 2mtr lengths and a hose connector, i shall then join the two lengths making one extra joint to leak.

stood his ground on 'H&E regs' and i couldnt prove otherwise.

Simple answer is buy it somewhere else were they are not making up the rules. At the end of the day if you are happy thats all that counts.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OYE!!:winky:

::bigsmile:
TERRY

I was thinking 'cowboy' self builders Terry.. not a pro like yourself :Smile:

back to op..

yes, you can buy it in bulk.. 50 mts or more.. but who would buy 50mts if they only wanted say 5 mt

The LPG regulations don't mention how much you can buy 'over the counter' , only that the max length to an appliance is 1mt ..
they also state the max length for high pressure hoses, 450mm or 750mm is allowed if the bottles are on a sliding tray.

so Jaws well may be correct.. that it is the retailers who have decided on a 2mt rule ( 1 mt in some camping shops), This may be a fear of being caught up in an insurance claim where a long hose caused a fire.. and they get prosecuted.. dunno.. maybe Peter at JohnsCross knows ?

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Just bought three meters from a calor/ BBQ retailer. He never even mentioned a maximum. :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can understand why some people would want a 2m length but why on earth would you want more? Quite apart from the seller's H&S, you've got to think of your own too - a long hose is more likely to get tripped over, or damaged isn't it? :RollEyes:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I can understand why some people would want a 2m length but why on earth would you want more? Quite apart from the seller's H&S, you've got to think of your own too - a long hose is more likely to get tripped over, or damaged isn't it? :RollEyes:

Totally agree but our BBQ gas point is under the awning so we have 4m tube so we can cook in open ..... just have to be careful where we run it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
location of gas outlet point may dictate a longer length.....and a single 4mtr length is safer than two 2mtr lengths joined.

i have two lengths joined for convenience in placing the BBQ where i want it.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If you look on eBay there's loads available in any length or by the roll
As an example a 5m length of 8mm £12 inc delivery.

Vlad

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
A cunning plan

Why not buy a full roll and sell it at the bring & buy in any length?:thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I buy about 10 metres at a time of 8 mm an 10 mm to keep on the van for repairs, what you have to watch out for is the hoses are date stamped, and exposed to normal outdoor conditions only last about 5 years but you have to check for deteriation of the rubber.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I was told by a supplier who did sell me more than 2 meters, that the pressure would drop the longer the hose. I'm sure there'll be a calculation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back