Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We are presently enjoying a stay at Parc Verger near Limoges in France and just 30 minutes away is the Martyr Village of Oradour-sur-Glane and we couldn't leave here without taking a look. It was a very worthwhile trip and if you are ever in the area I recommend that you visit. It will leave you feeling very sad, but its worth it nonetheless.

If you do not know about this village there is plenty of reading on the web. but essentially on 10 June 1944, the idyllic French village of Oradour-sur-Glane was completely destroyed and 642 men, women and children were massacred by soldiers in Hitler's Waffen-SS. The ruins of the martyred village have been preserved in its entirety as a reminder of German barbarity. These are a few of the hundred or so pictures I took there today.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
its an amazing place was there last year.
eyrie to walk round.
how many song birds dod you see?
not many i;ll bet

peter

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
We are presently enjoying a stay at Parc Verger near Limoges in France and just 30 minutes away is the Martyr Village of Oradour-sur-Glane and we couldn't leave here without taking a look. It was a very worthwhile trip and if you are ever in the area I recommend that you visit. It will leave you feeling very sad, but its worth it nonetheless.

If you do not know about this village there is plenty of reading on the web. but essentially on 10 June 1944, the idyllic French village of Oradour-sur-Glane was completely destroyed and 642 men, women and children were massacred by soldiers in Hitler's Waffen-SS. The ruins of the martyred village have been preserved in its entirety as a reminder of German barbarity. These are a few of the hundred or so pictures I took there today.

wish we where there with u:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
its an amazing place was there last year.
eyrie to walk round.
how many song birds dod you see?
not many i;ll bet

peter

Yes it is a very unsettling place, and its too easy for the imagination to run riot. even the new town seems to be still in mourning. There were quite a few Germans there yesterday; it must affect them in a different way altogether.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
There

We were there earlier this year, the (new) village has one of the best French aire's we have stayed at.

Link Removed

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
How far inland from the ferry is, Oradour sur Glane and or Park Verger
looks like a not to miss for next year along with the American beaches, having already done the British Battle Bus tour:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Geo, Oradour-sur_Glane is about 450 miles south of Calais, and about 300miles from St Malo and about 30 miles north of Parc Verger. The car park will take an RV and there are plenty of large coach parking areas, I did not check the aire.

Googlemap location

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thats a lot further south than i had imagined but still good we have Friends who live close to the Rapido Factory in Mayen might have to thing about a LaHarve crossing to minimise driving a bit,thats the port they used, when moving over or is there a better option
Geo

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Thats a lot further south than i had imagined but still good we have Friends who live close to the Rapido Factory in Mayen might have to thing about a LaHarve crossing to minimise driving a bit,thats the port they used, when moving over or is there a better option
Geo

Hi, Geo, we reckon that the night crossing Portsmouth / St Malo is best - sailing is at 8.30pm, time for a meal on board, a night's sleep, and breakfast, with docking at 8.15am French time, so you are on your way before 9am. 300 miles to Parc Verger gets us there by around 4ish, allowing for a mid-morning stop to fill up with diesel and a sensible lunch stop (more info on request). This uses some peage, but cost only 23.90 Euros, well worth it.

Alternatives are Portsmouth / Caen or Poole / Cherbourg, but the night crossings southbound are shorter, so less time for a kip. We have driven in our RV from Roscoff, St Malo and Caen to Parc Verger easily within a day; Calais can be done in a day but with an early start from Calais arrivals at Parc Verger have ranged from 5pm to 11pm.

We can give you a code number to get a discount on Brittany Ferries if you wish - pm me and we'll give you this.

Cheers

Bob

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thank you Bob for the info and offer of discount on the ferries, we will speak with you nearer the time
Geo

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi to all
We went there last year very good aire but you need to get there really early.Most car parks in the town seem very user friendly and seem to turn a blind eye,we stayed at one just outside the old town with no problems for two nights
Cheers
pete

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Visited it and yes a very sad tale However the perpertrators were'nt all German, there were some Frenchmen (Alsatians) serving with the German army who were involved which was a huge embarrasement for the new French government. The Aire is very close by and we stoppd there on what must have been the coldest night of the year in mid March 06. Worth a visit!

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Called in on my way through 2 weeks ago. Sorry not impressed. Feel that it was a dark part of history, but we need to move on. Who is making from keeping such memories alive.
P7280011.jpg

Stayed on the Aires, very busy, but clean and comfortable

P7270009.jpg

New village very pleasant to stroll around.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back