LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
well worth the visit ( spot the sewing machine)

sadly this year the Aire was smelly and crowded in july WC dump was out of commission and people were lousy shots when emptying cassettes down the Loo

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
A visit that I suspect will stick with us for life. Very humbling. When we visited there were some German visitors. Very brave of them we thought.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we went last year, started out into the old village and had to go back to visitor centre, very odd feeling

some of the facts about the place are so sad, mainly the Germans got the wrong place

aire looked good last year, shame about this years report above

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Coordinates
Oradour%20sur%20glane-XL.jpg

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
It's one of the places I want to stop off at on my way to spain later this year.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Our visit there will stick in our minds forever ,very moving place.
Very very sad.

Reactions: JJ

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We stopped there a couple of years ago, we came across it by chance on a circular tour of France on the way back from Switzerland, as said a very moving place and there for the grace of God it could have been over here, we stopped on the Aire it was very clean and in good order when we was there other than when we cut across the grass and got dog doo doo all on our shoes. Pete

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
well worth the visit ( spot the sewing machine)

sadly this year the Aire was smelly and crowded in july WC dump was out of commission and people were lousy shots when emptying cassettes down the Loo
They were in every building till ScotJimland went, now he only visits for spare parts:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What Amazes me is how big it is , it's called a village but in them days it must have been a town , various cafés and garages , doctors , dentist, and even it's own tram service, I always have to think what German visitors must feel when you see it in the flesh.

Reactions: f6c
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not all Germans, and especially not those who weren't even born at the time, can be blamed for the atrocity...

JJ :cool:
Not blameing anyone and didn't quite mean it like that, but have you been in the museam and listened to the voice over, if it's the same in the German translation it's not very nice.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I guess many Germans must feel the same way about the awful German atrocities of the war as I do about the Allied bombing of Dresden or, in earlier times, the British involvement in slave trade.

We all seem capable, under certain circumstances, of doing despicable things to each other. :(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I guess many Germans must feel the same way about the awful German atrocities of the war as I do about the Allied bombing of Dresden or, in earlier times, the British involvement in slave trade.

We all seem capable, under certain circumstances, of doing despicable things to each other. :(

Having not lived through a war (UK based at least) I do not have the level of understanding as others

But something that really amazes me is how relatively quickly we seem to forget / forgive

Just look at how many of us now travel to Germany on holiday, how many drive German and Japanese cars

The list I am sure could go on,

Politicians start wars, the poor sods in the forces fight them, we live with the aftermath, thank goodness we have been able to move on, not forgotten, just hopeful of no recurrence

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
m
Having not lived through a war (UK based at least) I do not have the level of understanding as others

But something that really amazes me is how relatively quickly we seem to forget / forgive

Just look at how many of us now travel to Germany on holiday, how many drive German and Japanese cars

The list I am sure could go on,

Politicians start wars, the poor sods in the forces fight them, we live with the aftermath, thank goodness we have been able to move on, not forgotten, just hopeful of no recurrence
my brother bought a Japanese car my father refused to get in it.
He had come to Pick him up from hospital.
A WILL F..........ING WALK FIRS he shouted at casualty.
he got the bus home
he was so funny

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not all Germans, and especially not those who weren't even born at the time, can be blamed for the atrocity...

Just like hundreds of places we Brits should feel uneasy in. Though we have time on our side but much more widespread atrocities than the German's managed, we covered the whole globe.

Ditto Romans, Spanish, Portuguese.

alanvm64

Free Member
May 5, 2013
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 130
Exp
Since 2008
We intend to visit there next week on our way to Spain.

Alan and Karen

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
There was the Mau Mau uprising in 1950's Kenya, the pesky natives wanted their country back. We sent in 10,000 highly trained and well equipped troops and not surprisingly the Kenyans were defeated. A few years ago, the Kenyans were paid compensation by the UK government for being castrated, during the uprising men were castrated regardless of whether they were "rebels" or not. Hilldweller is right many European countries did dreadful things in Africa and the rest of the world.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There was the Mau Mau uprising in 1950's Kenya, the pesky natives wanted their country back. We sent in 10,000 highly trained and well equipped troops and not surprisingly the Kenyans were defeated. A few years ago, the Kenyans were paid compensation by the UK government for being castrated, during the uprising men were castrated regardless of whether they were "rebels" or not. Hilldweller is right many European countries did dreadful things in Africa and the rest of the world.
That's a load of boll**ks!

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We will be there Thursday this week, will post back here after we have walked around the place.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Yea right ! Now look at all the African countries who got independence ! They were prosperous under civilised rule ! Now they are run by despots who steal the aid from their children's mouths ! :restmycase::restmycase::restmycase: Mugabwe and Idi Amin come to mind !!!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Was there 2 weeks ago.
For once in my life I was quiet, as the horror sunk in. Wife accepts war but as she said, these victims were hardly the enemy, although children armed with soft toys are a threat!
Seeing the burnt bones in the glass coffins made me shudder.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
A slightly mundane fact possibly relevant for some.

It is possible to visit the village without charge. You are channelled toward the interpretation centre (which from memory has not a word of English) and to enter through that there is a charge. Avoid it and you can quite legitimately enter free.

Dick

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
We can all look at history,and find a lot of it very offensive into days world,I am sure our great ,great grandchildren will do exactly the same.
We do learn a lot from history,it's an important subject,to learn from,but may be not to lay blame as we were not there.!!

I have visited Oradour,fascinating place,I believe the French who sided with the Germans were involved,we should preserve and learn,from history.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If I recall correctly, there were also some French who had been conscripted/forced into service with the German army, possibly from French regions sympathetic with or having some German ties? Alsace maybe?

Last edited:

Deleted User
If I recall correctly, there were also some French who had been conscripted/forced into service with the German army, possibly from French regions sympathetic with or having some German ties? Alsace maybe?

From Alsace I believe which at the time had been part of the French Republic for only 12 years out of the previous 70.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner

I read a couple of books many years ago concerning this , one was about a Frenchman fighting with the waffen ss in Russia and the other was about the large number of ex ss who were given the option by the French of joining the Foreign legion and fighting in what was indo china ,now Vietnam.

The ex ss commanding officer based a lot of his tactics on the british armys tactic in Jungle warfare .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back