Optimal leisure battery for prolonged storage? (1 Viewer)

Great Dane

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
Hello all - I am new to this forum (and indeed to Motorhome ownership), and I apologise if this question has been asked before. I have looked around and not found it, though, so I've decided to post this request for of advice about leisure batteries.

I am aware that if the battery runs flat - and particularly if it stays flat for a sustained period of time - it will be irreversibly damaged, and I understand that it's a common thing to remove the battery during winter down-time, take it home, guard it against frost, and trickle charge it.

Unfortunately that isn't an option for me (I can't park near my house, I can't easily remove and transport the battery home, so I can't charge it over winter).

My current leisure battery runs down in a matter of no time, and I want to buy a new one that does not go entirely flat in cold conditions with no charge and no usage. Ideally, one that stays alive throughout the winter like the car battery is capable of (I know they differ chemically, but still).

For my best chances of that, which are the parameters to look for?

* Which type of battery (wet, acid, AGM, …) keeps its charge the longest?

* Does capacity (in terms of amp hours) make any difference to charge life?

* Any other parameters to consider?

Thank you in advance for any input!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Doesn't matter what type of battery it's the capacity that keeps it going however you would need a huge battery to go through the winter what you need is a way to keep what you have charged either solar or hook up

OP
OP
Great Dane

Great Dane

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
Thank you for super quick feedback!

I haven't got the hookup option, unfortunately. I do have a solar panel, but it makes very little difference, I'm afraid - even in the summer, it doesn't keep my current battery alive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thank you for super quick feedback!

I haven't got the hookup option, unfortunately. I do have a solar panel, but it makes very little difference, I'm afraid - even in the summer, it doesn't keep my current battery alive.

Something not right there then, solar not working or indeed your batteries are knackered.... try putting a multimeter around and see what your getting...

Ohh and :pink::WelcomeFlag:

OP
OP
Great Dane

Great Dane

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
Yes, I figure the battery's shot.

I asked Marquis to check battery and solar panel this summer, and they swore everything is performing well (report attached).

However, I lose all charge in a matter of days, and I can't think of any other explanation than the battery being rubbish (it was never good, but now it has been flat a couple of times and obviously that hasn't improved on it).

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 49
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Welcome, if your battery is going flat that quick , then either the battery itself is discharging (faulty) , or you have a current drain in the vehicle .

OP
OP
Great Dane

Great Dane

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
Thank you - yes, that was the sort of thing I was hoping for Marquis to detect with their test, but they claimed the battery performs well and that the draw is near negligible.

I was hoping to get a new, large, high capacity battery, and I would charge it fully and disconnect it entirely when wintering the van, so that it had the best chances of not going flat.

If that is a pipe dream, then I must reconsider my options.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Thank you - yes, that was the sort of thing I was hoping for Marquis to detect with their test, but they claimed the battery performs well and that the draw is near negligible.

I was hoping to get a new, large, high capacity battery, and I would charge it fully and disconnect it entirely when wintering the van, so that it had the best chances of not going flat.

If that is a pipe dream, then I must reconsider my options.
Best to leave the battery connected to the solar panel with the main switch set to off at least you will get some power.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, I figure the battery's shot.

I asked Marquis to check battery and solar panel this summer, and they swore everything is performing well (report attached).

However, I lose all charge in a matter of days, and I can't think of any other explanation than the battery being rubbish (it was never good, but now it has been flat a couple of times and obviously that hasn't improved on it).
According to this test your battery was not far from flat when it was tested, 12.38v is well down. Not knowing how they actually tested the solar output it is difficult to say what 12.75v means, what capacity is your solar panel?

Solar should be able to keep your battery topped up even in winter.

Martin

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I suspect the best thing to do in the short term is dump the present battery and put off buying a replacement until the start of the new season when you can at least have the full season looking after it. What ever you have been told it is well worth checking for unexpected loads by putting a multimeter in the circuit to see if there is a drain. I found a dodgy relay in a Bongo this way. Do not forget the starter battery just as expensive and needed as the hab battery. Your best bet for it may be to vist the van once a month and run the engine for half an hour or so, this would also keep a decent hab battery topped up as well but probably would not help your present one. As suggested elsewhere the test report means little. This website has lots of good info, if you look around there is plenty of info on batteries on the web but watch out there is a wealth of snake oil out there

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back