Opinions sought on possible purchase (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We have a hymer cl 554 which is a similar layout with the french bed. Love this layout like having the feeling of two seperate rooms :)
Thanks will look for that. Really want this layout.. 4th van so hopefully we are right this time.

Of course the Kontiki is a much longer van than the Bessie e710 you OP'd with - presumably the driving, parking, weight or storage has been considered?

My Ace was supposedly the budget brand of the Swift stable - this model was produced under three marques... Ace, Swift & Bessacarr and as far as I could tell were pretty much identical with just the name being different:

The top brand Bessacarr 450

The budget brand Ace Modena:
Broken Link Removed

As for the notorious "Swift Issues", all I can say is that mine had none [or possibly they had all been resolved by the time I got it]

Storage is an issue but we are on the waiting lists for our nearby storage sites. We will move our current van there as soon as there is a space and won't actually take delivery until we have somewhere

The ace looks the same. Added to the list. I don't think there is any difference between the 3 vans. How odd.
Exactly to expensive (y)

The future Mrs Tiggs is determined we should buy from a large dealer with a decent warranty... That's going to cost extra of course.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How bad is the swift problem? Are we safe enough if we buy from a reputable dealer?

That's one excellent layout.

Every van that age has to be assessed on a van by van basis. Get it hab checked.

As someone said, top £££ but it might be worth it.

You've seen the experience of folk in here with warranties and dealers, you must make sure it is sound before you hand over 1p.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
paying over the odds for a van at a dealers is no guarantee it will be fault free or that warranty work will be carried out quickly and to a satisfactory standard. my personal opinion is that if you save a few grand by buying privately that goes a long way to fixing anything that breaks. of course being careful and thoroughly checking the van before buying is essential

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Good luck with your purchase,we have the bessacarr E760 bought it privately 2 years ago & are very pleased with it.Just came back from spending the winter in Spain( plenty of rain) & the only thing that leaked was the filter on the habitation water pump.2 minute fix.Great layout for 2 people. Enjoy your new home from home.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Have you spotted this Bessacarr?
It's local to you (Chippenham) and far cheaper the Highbridge van...

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
That looks a nice van but be careful if you are going to persue it as the seller has no feedback.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Have you spotted this Bessacarr?
It's local to you (Chippenham) and far cheaper the Highbridge van...

That looks a nice van but be careful if you are going to persue it as the seller has no feedback.

If it looks too good to be true....

I'm going to message but pretty sure the guy will come back to say he works on an oil rig...

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm going to message but pretty sure the guy will come back to say he works on an oil rig...[/QUOTE]
Sounds about right I'd want 20+ for ours.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If it looks too good to be true....

I'm going to message but pretty sure the guy will come back to say he works on an oil rig...
Something suss about it ... the internal images are 'stock' ones you'd see at a dealer, not from a private sale.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I did also wonder if it's a scam, new user, zero feedback.
It's slightly different to the normal ones, it's not £4300 or some other silly price, at £16k it's almost believable....
Highbridge van is 25k, so px likely around 20k, less if straight sale to dealer.
eBay van, higher mileage, doesn't appear as tidy.... is 16k that far off target?

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I did also wonder if it's a scam, new user, zero feedback.
It's slightly different to the normal ones, it's not £4300 or some other silly price, at £16k it's almost believable....
Highbridge van is 25k, so px likely around 20k, less if straight sale to dealer.
eBay van, higher mileage, doesn't appear as tidy.... is 16k that far off target?
It is high enough to be believed, especially for someone new to the game. That means it is high enough to be all they want if the seller is new as well.

I have messaged and got a reply saying that it was for sale 'for a girlfriend' and could I provide a telephone number. I have replied saying I would happily call if they give me the friends phone number. Not sure what the consequences of giving my number out are but better to be safe than sorry... Will keep you posted.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
They don't call them Kon Likki's for nothing ..

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I purchased a Peugeot boxer Compass 2013 model with 39miles on the clock it had hardly been used it had 3 previous owners and is immaculate, travelled all over Europe and UK its never missed a beat has not used any oil just walked through its MOT last month, paid 15 k for it, a little expensive for that year saying that is was as clean a new pin had been well looked after, nearly purchased a different MH for 40K, this one has been great, problem is I don't use it enough 15k a walk in the park, Kates socks cost more than that lol

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Did anything come of the one on eBay?
No. Think is a scam but can't work out the angle. They have asked for a mobile number. I've messaged and said what if they give me a number and I call. Ms tiggs messaged and gave my landline number for the office. Not heard back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back