Opinions re Rapido 8096df 55th Aniversary edition (1 Viewer)

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
We have never camped, had a caravan or a motorhome so are absolute newbies. I have read endless magazines and used this forum extensively to research what we wanted.
I wanted a pvc but my wife wasn't keen and as she looks after me tremendously well I carried on the search. I was keen on the rear lounge and front dinette layout.
However WE are now extremely interested in a Rapido A class the model which features in the thread title.
It appears to suit are needs extremely well apart from the length and substantial extra cost:D I am practically there on price with the dealer and as the model seems very well equipped the only options I was considering extra was a tv Ariel plus tv, an inverter for the hairdryer (essential!) and an alarm. I will also get it upgraded from 3500 to 3750 which is foc.
The model gets 5 stars in what motorhome and I have read the Rapido forums on here. I have some cognitive issues which effects my decision making and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on our choice of vehicle and what I need to consider when purchasing the new vehicle.
Many thanks

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Nice motorhome(y)
Personaly, I would get it weighed before hand, because even with the higher weight you stated, I find it unbelievable that an A class that big, would have any payload on a light chassis.

Upvote 0

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
We looked at the 8096df as a possible replacement for the rubbish Hymer that blighted our lives for two years (disaffectionately known as "Adolf" as it had much of the same charm, was just as unpredictable, and just as noisy but that's a story for another time).

We wanted an island bed so you could actually sit up in it with space either side for drinks etc. and we loved the living area layout on the 8096df as it doesn't follow the predictable European "L" shaped lounge layout with a table the size of a snooker table meaning you can't easily move around up front.

The finish is very good, it has a great garage, the "living" space with level floor area is brilliant, and generally Rapido give you lots for your money, so what's not to like ?

Well, the kitchen isn't the biggest and yes, there are regular warnings about Rapido payload not being over generous, but in our case with just the two of us, a dog, two bikes etc. we don't have a problem with the load available.

So did we buy one - well no we didn't ... but we did order a Rapido 696ff, which is the same layout, dimensions etc. but in a coachbuilt rather than "A" class, and naturally is therefore cheaper.

We spent a lot of time in the 696ff before deciding and, like you, have looked hard and long at others' experience of Rapido before taking the plunge, given the last "heap" we had to endure.

Good luck with whatever you decide !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years
... oh, one other downside, in our case we really don't need the drop down bed up front as the island bed is all we need, so in an ideal world we'd order one without this to save a bit more weight and give us more cupboard space, but as everyone knows, owning a MH is all about compromise ...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dartagnan

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Nice motorhome(y)
Personaly, I would get it weighed before hand, because even with the higher weight you stated, I find it unbelievable that an A class that big, would have any payload on a light chassis.
I must admit that having looked at other coachbuilts at the same weight limit I was concerned as to payload. The A class seemed much more sturdier e.g heavier. It was the first question I asked the dealer! Not sure how I get a new vehicle weighed before purchase.

We looked at the 8096df as a possible replacement for the rubbish Hymer that blighted our lives for two years (disaffectionately known as "Adolf" as it had much of the same charm, was just as unpredictable, and just as noisy but that's a story for another time).

We wanted an island bed so you could actually sit up in it with space either side for drinks etc. and we loved the living area layout on the 8096df as it doesn't follow the predictable European "L" shaped lounge layout with a table the size of a snooker table meaning you can't easily move around up front.

The finish is very good, it has a great garage, the "living" space with level floor area is brilliant, and generally Rapido give you lots for your money, so what's not to like ?

Well, the kitchen isn't the biggest and yes, there are regular warnings about Rapido payload not being over generous, but in our case with just the two of us, a dog, two bikes etc. we don't have a problem with the load available.

So did we buy one - well no we didn't ... but we did order a Rapido 696ff, which is the same layout, dimensions etc. but in a coachbuilt rather than "A" class, and naturally is therefore cheaper.

We spent a lot of time in the 696ff before deciding and, like you, have looked hard and long at others' experience of Rapido before taking the plunge, given the last "heap" we had to endure.

Thank you very much for the reply. In essence you have confirmed my own views. I realise positive bias isn't always a good thing but hey ho it's nice when it happens.:D
Strangely enough there is only the two of us and a dog but the drop down bed is perfect for us due to our dreadful sleeping habits

Upvote 0

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
It was the first question I asked the dealer! Not sure how I get a new vehicle weighed before purchase.

Sorry! didn't realise you were buying a brand new one. That does make it difficult, as i don't think the dealers would come up for it!

I know you seemed to have set your heart on, what is a lovely motor. But if you have never camped or had a motorhome before, it might be prudent to buy a 2nd hand one first! or at least hire one.
There's a chance you or the wife wont like it!:)

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014

A rubbish Hymer....... heavens forbid!!!! That will set the cat amongst the Hymer love in club.... They will refuse believe you....:D2:D2

For some, the suns shines out of a Hymers exhaust (y)

Upvote 0

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years
A rubbish Hymer....... heavens forbid!!!! That will set the cat amongst the Hymer love in club.... They will refuse believe you....:D2:D2

For some, the suns shines out of a Hymers exhaust (y)
I'm sure plenty of others have no issues with them and I genuinely wish them well, but I can only speak of our own painful experience - it was brand new and from how it was put together I can only presume it was assembled very late on a Friday afternoon by a work force that had an extremely heavy evening at the beerkeller the night before. It truly was awful and spent so much time back at the dealer that we thought about telling Comfort insurance that this was our storage facility. We reckoned that "Hymer" stood for Hy Maintenance Expensive Rubbish.

Anyway (deep breath) we've moved on now (y).

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Rapido 881f and are very happy with it and the 8096DF would be on our short list if we were in the market for a new van.

However as other people have said, before parting with any cash get it wieghed as they are built heavy! We ordered the 4250 kg chassis with 150 BHP upgrade and it works well. On our last trip where we did have skis, a tandem, full tank of fuel, gas and water we hit the scales at 4200kg! That was with 2 of us in the van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dartagnan

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
@jessthedog
Previously I would have agreed 100% with you as I have always worked on the principle of "I want it but do I really need it". I have been very sensible when it comes to finances etc but the past four years I have had two life threatening illnesses and I am currently on chemotherapy so at the ripe age of 59 I have decided "sod it, time to treat yourself and bugger the sensible attitude lark":D

Upvote 0

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
@jessthedog
Previously I would have agreed 100% with you as I have always worked on the principle of "I want it but do I really need it". I have been very sensible when it comes to finances etc but the past four years I have had two life threatening illnesses and I am currently on chemotherapy so at the ripe age of 59 I have decided "sod it, time to treat yourself and bugger the sensible attitude lark":D

Go for it mate(y) and enjoy:D

Upvote 0

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years
@jessthedog
Quite agree with you ... if you speak fluent Italian :) there's a good review on You Tube ...

Whatever you decide, good luck (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dartagnan

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
@John Stanton
Many thanks for that. I did come across it when I was searching but when it came on in Italian I skipped it but I watched it anyway this time.
It was a nice video just wished I spoke Italian
I have made my mind up and if the dealer and I can come to an agreement on price I will sign on the dotted line.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back