Opinions please (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Very new to this...can anyone tell me what the payload is for a swift suntor 590RL is?. I know that any add ons such as solar panel, bike rack and awning etc will need to be deducted from the miro (get me with the technical term!! but I have been unable to find out if it can be up plated. Thanks in advance

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A 2003 model registered at 3.4T has a payload of 579kg.

All the best,

Andrew

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Very new to this...can anyone tell me what the payload is for a swift suntor 590RL is?. I know that any add ons such as solar panel, bike rack and awning etc will need to be deducted from the miro (get me with the technical term!! but I have been unable to find out if it can be up plated. Thanks in advance

Do not trust, for one second, any manufacturer or dealer quoted figure on payload. They are pretty much all well know for being hopelessly optimistic/lying through their teeth about it.

The only way you can find out for sure is to take it to a weigh bridge, preferably full of fuel and water and see what it weighs. Deduct this figure from the maximum plated weight and you have your payload. If you haven't bought it yet insist the dealer does this. If he won't then it tells you all you need to know and you should walk away.

The MIRO is what it weighs in that state i.e. just fuel, water and the driver. The difference between that and your maximum weight is your payload. Any extras like awnings or solar panels that you add need to be deducted from the payload figure not the MIRO.

Finally up-plating has nothing to do with existing payload. You will almost certainly be able to uprate the maximum weight one way or another. Often it can be done as a paper exercise, sometimes work to the vehicle is needed. If you're a complete novice and you don't know anything about how this works then SV Tech http://www.svtech.co.uk are your best bet for help and advice as to exactly what your options are and what you need to do to achieve each one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Duh! I of course meant added to the miro...smugness now turned off!, thank you for your responses

We knew what you meant:D

The other thing to consider is the physical condition of the vehicle including the suspension components. There's no point in trying to determine the payload figures when the van needs a bit of TLC.

Upvote 0

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Do not trust, for one second, any manufacturer or dealer quoted figure on payload. They are pretty much all well know for being hopelessly optimistic/lying through their teeth about it.

The only way you can find out for sure is to take it to a weigh bridge, preferably

^ THIS ^ (y)

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
As a guide we have a Swift Sundance 590RL and our first trip with me, OH, dog, half tank fuel, full tank water, food and clothing for three days we weighed 3078kg.

As said safest thing to do is get it weighed, if overweight I believe they are supposed to report it so if nervous go light first time just in case.

We use a local scrap yard, they have a weighbridge to check trucks going on and coming out. They charge something like 6 or 8 quid

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we load for our first trip of the year or for a big / long trip we stop at the weighbridge on the way out (it's just off the route and only a couple of miles from home - a haulage contractors). Always get a ticket for the whole van and the back axle weighed alone (it's a flat plate weighbridge, no ramps on or off). Gives us peace of mind and I always note on the ticket what we have on board (kayaks / bikes / amount of fresh water and amount of fuel).

It really is the only way to be sure. When we went to Ireland we had 90kg "spare" :) not a lot really for an uprated van and two adults in a 4 berth van.... we did have full tank of fuel and fresh water plus kayaks, bikes and all the gear though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Liverpoollass
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
As a guide we have a Swift Sundance 590RL and our first trip with me, OH, dog, half tank fuel, full tank water, food and clothing for three days we weighed 3078kg.

As said safest thing to do is get it weighed, if overweight I believe they are supposed to report it so if nervous go light first time just in case.

We use a local scrap yard, they have a weighbridge to check trucks going on and coming out. They charge something like 6 or 8 quid

Thank you for your response that is most useful..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Liverpoollass
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
When we load for our first trip of the year or for a big / long trip we stop at the weighbridge on the way out (it's just off the route and only a couple of miles from home - a haulage contractors). Always get a ticket for the whole van and the back axle weighed alone (it's a flat plate weighbridge, no ramps on or off). Gives us peace of mind and I always note on the ticket what we have on board (kayaks / bikes / amount of fresh water and amount of fuel).

It really is the only way to be sure. When we went to Ireland we had 90kg "spare" :) not a lot really for an uprated van and two adults in a 4 berth van.... we did have full tank of fuel and fresh water plus kayaks, bikes and all the gear though.
Thank you

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Where on earth did you get that idea from? o_O

Of course they don't report anything. All they're doing is weighing the van for you.

They don't know what your plated weight is so unless you're daft enough to tell them there's no possible way they can know whether you're overweight or not

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back