Opinions please on this charge controller. Is this just BS? (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I bought an MPPT charge controller a couple of weeks ago and finally got to fit it this week with a new 120 watt solar panel.
The controller was cheap but I read some good reviews.
Anyway, I wasn't happy with the output and suspected it wasn't a proper MPPT controller, especially after reading on the lcd screen that it said PWM controller!
So, I contacted the seller asking what sort of controller it really was,
This was their reply.

"Thanks for your message.
Sorry to hear that. Please don’t worry, we will solve the problem for you smoothly.
I have asked the technical staff, they explain that the “pwm“ is a Constant Charging Mode, the “MPPT“ = Maximum Power Point Tracking. MPPT controller can detect the generated voltage of solar panels, the maximum voltage and current track (VI), the maximum power output of the system to charge the battery in real time. Used in solar photovoltaic systems, coordination of solar panels, batteries, workload, is the brain of PV systems. So MPPT is not a charging mode, but it is a better additional features. Please you can understand this.
If any other questions, please get me back freely, I’ll try my best to help you.
Best regards. "

So, what do you think. BS? I will be sending it back whatever.

Anyway, whilst waiting for them to sort it out out I bought a Victron controller.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was pretty sure a controller could be either PWM or MPPT but it couldn't be both. However, a bit of research suggests it is possible but it is pretty rare I think. A typical PWM (pulse width modulation) controller will drag the solar panel voltage down to the same voltage as the battery and this is probably the best way of checking what you have. If when the sun is shining you measure the PV voltage and it is the same as the battery voltage then you don't have an MPPT controller.
But as mentioned you could have an MPPT controller which uses PWM as a way of maintaining the battery voltage - very short pulses when the battery is charged, long pulses when it needs charging. There are controllers like this but I doubt you have one if it was cheap.
Checking the input and output voltages would be the best test. You might see a steady 18v from the panel and say 13 or 14 across the battery. If that is what you have all is well but you need to be careful if say you get 22 volts for short periods across the panel followed by 12 or 13, which would suggest a cheap controller which is effectively switching the panel in and out of circuit. The 22v would be the open circuit voltage.

Last edited:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I'm sure i have read somewhere that PWM controllers are best for systems under 150 watts.
Now is not the best time to check if a controller is doing a good job.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Price is a good bench mark for MPPT regulators if you paid much less £70 unlikely to be a MPPT regulator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks Geo, I missed that, but mine is the same controller, an MPPT30, paid about £30 delivered
I am assuming then that it is a fake or at least not an MPPT controller. Sorry, rubbish internet says I can't watch the vids.
The reply I got from the seller seem a standard reply, I saw a youtube video dated last year and in the comments was the same reply from the seller.
Yesterday he told me to reset to factory defaults and try again which I did, but obviously it's still the same.
I don't have any proper test equipment with me, just going by the display, it showed that the maximum PV output was 1.6 amps ( battery was showing 65% capacity) and that was midday with full sun on the panel. I would have expected at least 4 or 5 amps, my last 120 watt panel showed an input of 1 amp on a cloudy day.
But half an hour later the battery was showing 99%

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I would have expected at least 4 or 5 amps, my last 120 watt panel showed an input of 1 amp on a cloudy day.
Would that not depend on the state of charge or load on your battery bank..??
And at this time year that might be a bit hopefully for a 120w panel... but that's just my thoughts... not really looked into it in any great depth..
Andy

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Still trying to sort outwit the seller, they keep offering me partial refunds and I can keep the controller. Seeing as we are in France at the moment, it might be the cheapest option as if I have to send it back, I will have to pay postage from France, they will only pay postage if posted in UK.
Anyway, my Victron MPPT 75/15 controller arrived yesterday, I will fit it later today.
I was surprised to find the following label attached....
Designed in the Netherlands, Europe. Made in India!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Still trying to sort outwit the seller, they keep offering me partial refunds and I can keep the controller. Seeing as we are in France at the moment, it might be the cheapest option as if I have to send it back, I will have to pay postage from France, they will only pay postage if posted in UK.
Anyway, my Victron MPPT 75/15 controller arrived yesterday, I will fit it later today.
I was surprised to find the following label attached....
Designed in the Netherlands, Europe. Made in India!
If faulty the postage needs to be paid by the seller,raise a dispute with ebay and they will sort out.Seen this before with sellers trying it on with faulty equipment expecting the buyer to pay to send it back. Why should you if faulty or not as described, it is not your fault they advertised it wrong or sent you a faulty item.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back