Opinions on Radio, Sat Nav and Reversing Camera please (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Getting my knickers in a bit of a twist over choosing the best option for Radio, Sat Nav and Reversing Camera.

Just ordered a new van, without any radio or reversing camera, however I am having a pre installation of radio aerial and decent speakers.

I was considering a combined unit like @Jim recently had fitted - Blaupunkt Columbia 945
Link Removed

My issue with this unit is that in my current MH, the reversing camera has its own screen and is 'always on', so it acts like a rear view mirror, which is very useful when overtaking on the motorway, especially when its raining. The Blaupunkt Columbia 945 has the option to work as an 'always on' rear view mirror, but when in this mode, the Sat Nav only gives voice instructions, which would not be OK for me, as I like to see the map on my Sat Nav. Furrthermore, being mounted in the radio housing, the sat nav is not ideally located. I currently have my sat nav mounted above my speedo housing, so its straight ahead and easy to see whilst driving.

The other issue I have, is that we spend most our time in Europe, where English radio stations are few and far between. As such we tend to listen to music on my Iphone, which we play via a earphone lead connected to our radio - not ideal in terms of sound quality or control.

So I'm now wondering if its better to have;
  • a dedicated reversing camera monitor.
  • a radio which somehow connects better with my Iphone
  • re use my current Sat Nav and locate it above the speedo housing

My questions are;
Would a Kenwood DDX8016DABS be a good option as a radio as it has Apple CarPlay, or would a simple radio with Bluetooth be as good. Or can you play music from an Iphone through any Bluetooth radio?

Would I be better off going for a combined unit like the Blaupunkt Columbia 945 and learning to live with satnav voice commands?

Or should I get a combined radio/sat nav ?

Appreciate any suggestions - thank you !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got Pioneer kit which I can highly recommend - DAB radio, iPod cable connection, truck/camper Satnav module and the existing camera connected to it. The satnav especially has never let me down. So far it's always been spot on with avoiding weight, height and width restrictions both here and in Europe.

I can't remember the model number but I suppose it's been superseded by now anyway. @eddievanbitz fitted it though.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Switching between the Sat-Nav and the rear view is touching the screen. Once I am on an open road I tend to have the rear view on, switching between the "down road" image and the "back of the van" image to suit IE When I hear a funny noise and want to look and my bike rack lol You select the APP's you want on your home screen the same as a phone and simply touch the application you want

The Columbia has a front USB port and has streaming Bluetooth so I play my music over that with no effect on the screen

The built in WiFi dongle I have found to be a lot more use than I though as well

Overall the twin reversing camera and Navi works well for me driving a large vehicle, The Parrot Bluetooth DAB and WiFi are nice additions

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
My opinion on multi function displays is they will be showing the wrong function when the chips are down. The radio on our van has a usb input which allows direct playback from mp3 tracks. Our car has the jack socket which works but needs another toy. For reversing cameras go for a twin set up so you can have both the close up of the bumper and the wide view for both manoeuvres and as a rear view mirror when driving. Do not use the auto selection on reverse it is surprising just how often the wide view is needed when reverse is selected

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have the Kenwood DNX 450TR which has all you want in one unit and a switch-able Rear view or Sat Nav display. I have never used the rear view permanently "on" in all of my one years experience.:D2 I can't see that you need it on all the time, just switch when you want it.(y) Bluetooth or permanent connection to iPhone, voice command dialling and a great radio.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
I have the Kenwood DNX 450TR which has all you want in one unit and a switch-able Rear view or Sat Nav display. I have never used the rear view permanently "on" in all of my one years experience.:D2 I can't see that you need it on all the time, just switch when you want it.(y) Bluetooth or permanent connection to iPhone, voice command dialling and a great radio.

Looking to fit one of these, does it show your current speed and does it show limit for the road in general or specifically for the truck size you input, thanks

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Looking to fit one of these, does it show your current speed and does it show limit for the road in general or specifically for the truck size you input, thanks
Yes to current speed and you can easily change "units" to show Km when abroad. It shows general road speed, but if you are restricted by weight etc, then it shows what the speed limit should be for you and changes the picture in the Speed limit box on the screen to indicate the speed is reduced for you only.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Any of the major brands are good but I would steer clear of the Pioneers due to their excessive current reqiurements. The only reason I wouldn't go for a Kenwood is because I don't like Garmin satnav. I have a Clarion it uses IGO satnav same as the Pioneer except the unit only draws 2 amps compared to the Pioneer's 6 amps.

You know my setup Robert where I can select my 4 cameras via switches, apart from reverse which is selected by reverse gear. It means I can instanly select any of the other 3 camers. The rear view is great where pulling out of slip roads & overtaking.

Edit:
The Kenwood looks like it has a high current requirement.
The Pioneer's have a max current requirement of 10 amp in normal use it is approx 6 amps.
My Clarion, max is 4 amp in normal use around 2 amps.
The kenwood spec says max 10 amps.:eek:

Last edited:

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
thanks for quick response, that's great news, new van is over 3.5t and already flashed on French mway as limit applied to over 3.5t not just trucks, very confusing from wrong side of van/road! also solve problem of the very feint speedo on these new fiats.
Presume you are happy with unit?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think most new models will achieve what you want. if not directly, though "car play".
My Pioneer will interrupt the rear view when the SatNag has something to show but not for long. You can switch between screens but that requires touching the screen.
These things ought to be voice-response by now. Perhaps they are if you use "car play" (through Siri)?
I got reversing sensors added to mine. They allow you to pay more attention to the surroundings whilst listening-out for warnings from behind. If it had been easy enough, I'd have had some high up as well. It's always been an 'invisible' tree that I've reversed into...

A major difficulty with these things is that you don’t discover whether they are suitable for you or not until after you’ve parted with the money. The demo I got for the Pioneer must’ve been carefully constructed as the announcements given (“take the second turn on the right”) were not typical of what is actually provided on the journeys that I’ve travelled.

Last edited:

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
lenny, the camera set up sounds great what switch did you use? not enough time to sort now but if i have the switched feed in place simpler to add a later stage.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
lenny, the camera set up sounds great what switch did you use? not enough time to sort now but if i have the switched feed in place simpler to add a later stage.
This is what I did for the first 3 camers, later I added another relay and switch for a front camera.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
thanks for quick response, that's great news, new van is over 3.5t and already flashed on French mway as limit applied to over 3.5t not just trucks, very confusing from wrong side of van/road! also solve problem of the very feint speedo on these new fiats.
Presume you are happy with unit?
Very happy with it. I have absolutely no knowledge of anything else thou. so I have nothing to compare it to. The current draw @Lenny HB talks about is concerning, but as it is the cab radio, it is only in use when driving and maybe for an hour if we are stopped for lunch etc. Maybe one day I will measure how much it does draw.(y)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
My monitor handles 4 cameras

I have a further camera fitted on my tow bar mounted bike rack which connects to the Kenwood. So no blind slots when reversing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back