GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We set off tonight from merseyside but are overnighting in Beaconsfield. Have tunnel booked for midday tomorrow so will set off early.

Thanks for the great advice.

Jen

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think I am right in saying that unless there are any other incidents, operation stack is due to be lifted later today when the backlog is expected to be cleared. As they say, watch this space :D
P&O are still advising the M2/A2 route at present.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There are a few diversions close to the tunnel, the slip road onto the tunnel approach road travelling from Cheriton is closed. We got on our booked crossing yesterday morning at 10:08 and saw 3 immigrants roaming around Calais!
Enjoy your trip Soozy and Jen
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
The A20 diversion because of op stack is causing problems this morning. Leave plenty of time if you're travelling down today

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
  • Latest Travel Information
  • For customers travelling today via our UK Terminal
    Our passenger service is currently operating with some timetable disruption, this is due to an earlier technical fault in the Tunnel which has now been resolved. There is a waiting time of approximately 2 hours on the terminal. We regret that we are currently unable to sell tickets to non reserved customers.
    We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this will cause to your journey.
    For customers travelling today via our French Terminal
    Our passenger service is currently operating to schedule with up to 3 departures per hour. We wish you a pleasant crossing with Eurotunnel Le Shuttle.

This information is also available via our 24 hour (recorded) service information on +44 (0) 8444 63 00 00. (Calls cost up to 7p/min + your phone company's access charge )
    Last update: 10/07/2015 - 13:38 (GMT +1hr)

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Operarion Stack is still on between M20 J8 & J9 and the A20 diversion is slow as a consequence.

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
  • Latest Travel Information
  • For customers travelling today via our UK Terminal
    Our passenger service is currently operating with some timetable disruption, this is due to an earlier technical fault in the Tunnel which has now been resolved. There is a waiting time of approximately 90 minutes on the terminal. We regret that we are currently unable to sell tickets to non reserved customers.
    We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this will cause to your journey.
    For customers travelling today via our French Terminal
    Our passenger service is currently operating to schedule with up to 3 departures per hour. We wish you a pleasant crossing with Eurotunnel Le Shuttle.

This information is also available via our 24 hour (recorded) service information on +44 (0) 8444 63 00 00. (Calls cost up to 7p/min + your phone company's access charge )
    Last update: 10/07/2015 - 14:18 (GMT +1hr)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We returned via the tunnel on Friday morning. Our train was supposed to be at 05:29 french time and it left at 07:00am french time. The word was one tunnel out of use due to maintenance but I suspect that is not true. There was loads of french police activity with police vans and cars operating near the tunnel entrances.

On the Dover side operation stack is an eye-opener. The M20 between Dover and Maidstone is a lorry car park with thousands of artics lined up nose to tail with loo portacabins by the road side every 100 yards or so. All traffic is directed off the M20 at Maidstone and there are only lorries parked on the M20 south of that junction so cars being diverted down A and B roads. Northbound the M20 is fine from the Tunnel exit northbound.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Text from Hugh (hughman on here) last night. sitting in cite de europe car park. No delays on M20. Train on time. All well:) at the moment!

Eddie

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're taking the tunnel tomorrow afternoon. The plan is to get up and leave as early as possible and hopefully get on an earlier train.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We're taking the tunnel tomorrow afternoon. The plan is to get up and leave as early as possible and hopefully get on an earlier train.
That's what we do every time, never failed to get an early train apart from this last time when it was all kicking off, then we were only two hour delay which was ok as we were booked on at 1600 and still got a cross in the light.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Really difficult this time of year as these the busiest weeks with schools just breaking up. I tried to change our tunnel crossing from Thursday to Friday as wife has an exam, no way..nothing till Sunday night.

has everyone using tunnel filled in API on line? (Advanced passenger information) I kept on getting messages for weeks about it. finally got round to it at weekend but it wouldn't allow me to input dates (both on chrome & explorer) had to do it over the phone:(

some feedback when boarding boat or train would be nice if pep's have the time :)

Can add API here and get up to date info: http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/latest/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Really difficult this time of year as these the busiest weeks with schools just breaking up. I tried to change our tunnel crossing from Thursday to Friday as wife has an exam, no way..nothing till Sunday night.

has everyone using tunnel filled in API on line? (Advanced passenger information) I kept on getting messages for weeks about it. finally got round to it at weekend but it wouldn't allow me to input dates (both on chrome & explorer) had to do it over the phone:(

Yes I know. School finishes here today so we're off tomorrow. I did notice that the prices are higher from Thursday morning.

Yes, API all done. Took about 3-4 minutes, no problems.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

some feedback when boarding boat or train would be nice if pep's have the time :)

Can add API here and get up to date info: http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/latest/
Yes worked ok on iPad just went straight through the customs as usual when we got there

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Meant to upload this picture when we came back a couple of weeks ago and Operation Stack was in place. It's the A20 flyover that crosses the M 20 just before Maidenhead :(
20150701_142628[1].jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Serves them right when they could have done it like France and not caused half the trouble at a tenth of the cost
But surely it would still need some sort of control or we'd have HGV's parked all over the place and believe me the mess they leave behind when they have parked overnight in laybys etc is disgusting.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Serves them right when they could have done it like France and not caused half the trouble at a tenth of the cost
...just like France ... what on earth does that mean ..
drivers being attacked?
No toilets or facilities
lorries being damaged

Or is it the 'park where you want ' element that you think is attractive ..

The approach to Dover and Folkestone in the UK is nothing like the approach to the calais area.

There is no alternative in Kent to op stack
..certainly wouldn't want this ..
PSX_20150721_121928.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
...just like France ... what on earth does that mean ..
drivers being attacked?
No toilets or facilities
lorries being damaged

Or is it the 'park where you want ' element that you think is attractive ..

The approach to Dover and Folkestone in the UK is nothing like the approach to the calais area.

There is no alternative in Kent to op stack
..certainly wouldn't want this ..
View attachment 69926
Not what I saw when we were there a couple of weeks back , orderly two lane queue of lorrys right back along the motorways, and other traffic just going past , a couple of police at the beginning of the queue putting them in line.

Your photo is the immigrants not the lorry drivers, not many immigrants here wanting to go back.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've heard lots of people rubbishing Op Stack recently but I've not heard a single sensible alternative.

Saying "do it like they do in France" is not in anyway a sensible suggestion, quite the opposite, and just shows that the person in saying it has no knowledge of the motorway network in either Kent or Northern France and no understanding of the number of lorries involved or the logistics of parking them up safely.

One example I keep hearing and always makes me laugh is the "they only need to close one lane" argument. If they did that with both phase one and two of Operation Stack in place the queue would reach either back onto the M25, across the QE2 bridge to more or less the A12 junction or alternatively going the other way it would be just past the M23 (Gatwick) exit. That's a great idea isn't it? If they made it 2 lanes the queue would still be onto the M25.

It sometimes surprises me that otherwise sensible posters can post such utter nonsense about this.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In the earlier photo, it shows 3 rows of trucks wit an empty carriageway , if they moved them over and had two rows instead of three there would be two lanes open to other traffic , and what's wrong if it does go back to the m25 , it's already slow with diverted traffic.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And as you say , not knowing about it, I was in the bloody middle of it for five extra hours than need be , thanks.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
In the earlier photo, it shows 3 rows of trucks wit an empty carriageway , if they moved them over and had two rows instead of three there would be two lanes open to other traffic , and what's wrong if it does go back to the m25 , it's already slow with diverted traffic.

I can see what you mean but even if they did park them on the hard shoulder and lane 1 there would only one lane open to other traffic as lane 2 would have to be closed as well to provide a safe buffer zone between the stationary lorries and the fast moving cars. You wouldn't really gain anything over the A20 diversion route.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can see what you mean but even if they did park them on the hard shoulder and lane 1 there would only one lane open to other traffic as lane 2 would have to be closed as well to provide a safe buffer zone between the stationary lorries and the fast moving cars. You wouldn't really gain anything over the A20 diversion route.
Don't want to keep on about this but in France there is no empty lane

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I've heard lots of people rubbishing Op Stack recently but I've not heard a single sensible alternative.

Saying "do it like they do in France" is not in anyway a sensible suggestion, quite the opposite, and just shows that the person in saying it has no knowledge of the motorway network in either Kent or Northern France and no understanding of the number of lorries involved or the logistics of parking them up safely.

One example I keep hearing and always makes me laugh is the "they only need to close one lane" argument. If they did that with both phase one and two of Operation Stack in place the queue would reach either back onto the M25, across the QE2 bridge to more or less the A12 junction or alternatively going the other way it would be just past the M23 (Gatwick) exit. That's a great idea isn't it? If they made it 2 lanes the queue would still be onto the M25.

It sometimes surprises me that otherwise sensible posters can post such utter nonsense about this.

Our government could spend British tax payers' money here creating a compound for these lorries.
Like what they are spending our money doing in France.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33525242

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't want to keep on about this but in France there is no empty lane

That's France. Find someone in this country who would take responsibility for the H&S element of it. I know I wouldn't.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back