Open or Closed? (1 Viewer)

It's a hot night. How do you leave your windows?

• Fully open

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Open in the locked vent position

Votes: 37 50.0%

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
What is more important - keeping cool on a hot summers night, or keeping secure?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
With the locked vent position you are leaving something for a would be thief to get a bar or screwdriver in to prise it open.I also have trembler alarms on each window so they will go off at the first bump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Buy cheap O battery operated alarms on a string, fasten to window catches, when opened they SCREAM.
That is what we use, about £2 each on fleabay

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Roof vents open but locked in place, only windows open would be those next to us in bed (no valuables kept there) with the fly screens covering them to keep bugs and other larger critters out!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
With the locked vent position you are leaving something for a would be thief to get a bar or screwdriver in to prise it open.
Windows closed and vents open a bit. The gas has to escape somewhere.............

........our spaniel could fart for England

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Top hekis open but fly screen over. Remember when Ianthe builder had a hand come through his open window and it was daytime.
If very hot no clothes on helps!!( but you did that yesterday!)

Secure but sweaty for us!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Top hekis open but fly screen over. Remember when Ianthe builder had a hand come through his open window and it was daytime.
If very hot no clothes on helps!!( but you did that yesterday!)

Secure but sweaty for us!

Is that to deter the would be burglars?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes indeed enough to frighten any burglar !!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have highish windows at our bed end, I can barely reach them from outside, we are happy to leave them open and blinds closed at night

other end closed at night but open when we are still up

but we do have a genuine growler on board :)

its only you lot who know how soft she is (y)

IMG_1723.JPG

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Windows shut and I'll be sleeping on air bed under the awning outside if it's that warm ....:sun:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I used to leave all roof vents open and windows open with fly screens down ( to prevents cats escaping!)
I wasn't worried about anyone trying to get in as I have a Holly dog, who'd rip the face off anyone who tried.
Wouldn't have left side windows open if I was wild camping though, but felt OK on a site.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If its hot roof vents front and back open with bug screens shut both bedroom windows fully open with bug vents closed gotta keep cool and fan running all night either on ehu or off the inverter.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
If there was anything else outside that was scarier than me, I'd be very surprised lol. Besides which, our youngest dog would not be impressed if someone tried to get in but the older dog would make them a cup of coffee & help them out with the telly! I'd hear a midge fart if it did it outside our place so I certainly wouldn't sleep through any bad guys trying to get in. Oh not to mention the fact that I'd set the wife on them!!!!!

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Install a Fiamma 2-way fan in the nearest roof vent, generally situated above the bed. We never sleep with the side windows open - you might as well hang a sign outside saying "Enter Here". With the fan running all night we have never had a problem even when daytime temperatures were above 40c.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Roof vents open and the one in the side of the overcab in the Bessie - we also used to put the pillows down the window end too, so our faces got any breeze that might happen to pass LOL

In the Pilote - roof vents and also the window on the outside of the fixed bed - if they chose to enter there, they have to climb over Pete then me, before they could possibly access anything that they might think (erroneously LOL) was worth having. Even were it possible to get any of the overhead lockers above the bed open, they'd either have access to bread and suchlike to grab, or my or Pete's underwear.

I don't think we'd be that bothered - except the fact they'd tried in the first place really.

Plus of course, if a place seems iffy or there were dodgy folk about, I'd never be able to sleep in the first place so the chances are we wouldn't BE there. On campsites where we've felt comfortable enough, everythings been wide open with fly screens obviously, there again we've been known to sit out till 2 am-ish in company with our neighbours when it's been THAT hot.

Been a long time since we've been that hot (anywhere) though!

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Everything closed up but genny on and aircon on full blast, :getmecoat:

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Open but then they do have a Dobermann and the wife to get through first, so I'm safe !!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Roof vents all open with fly screens shut. Windows nearest our heads open with fly screens shut, alarm on and seat belts through cab doors. Recently bought 2 endless breeze 12volt fans from US.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Windows open for use with flyscreen in the top quarter or so and the blind bit slid up from the bottom covering the rest.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
With the locked vent position you are leaving something for a would be thief to get a bar or screwdriver in to prise it open.

It's a plastic window. It doesn't matter if it's closed or in the vent position it takes about 15 seconds to pop it open, less if you're not bothered about making a noise. A child could do it and you don't need a screwdriver or anything like that.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Roof vents open, bedroom windows open too if we're somewhere that hot.

Wouldn't leave the front area windows open but only because one of the dogs is an escape artist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Small roof vent above beds on vent, Fantastic fan in centre of the van on extract. This gives a nice cooling breeze over the beds and if is over 30 deg may open the side windows by the bed on vent setting as well, these windows are 6 foot above the ground.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Love to be somewhere where too hot is a problem. :rolleyes: When and if this ever occurs we have a roof vent above bed and three more in cab area. Never would Windows be left open as internal alarm sensors would be off at night.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In UK top vents open and if, if hot enough side windows open also and cooling fan if needed.
Across the water top vents open and cooling fan on .

Don't want to get gassed :)

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Everything usually open if it's hot. Me sleeping naked starfish shaped on top of the quilt is the best deterrent man can buy.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@Robert Clark how did you get on in the heat? What was YOUR solution!
Although windows open and snoring loudly would frighten any burglar off!!;) And I don't mean Mrs C!!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It's a plastic window. It doesn't matter if it's closed or in the vent position it takes about 15 seconds to pop it open, less if you're not bothered about making a noise. A child could do it and you don't need a screwdriver or anything like that.
Well you would on ours as they are recessed and you cannot get your fingers around them it's all about not giving the opportunity to try isn't it? Thieves don't want to hang around long as there is more chance of being caught better safe than sorry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back