Open Office (1 Viewer)

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
It is an excellent suite, used by some companies now as a corporate solution.

There is a compatability issue with the handling of Access (MS Office) files, but otherise is ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We use Open Office for most word processing and spreadsheet applications now, having used Lotus Smatrsuite for a number of years. We have MS Office on a couple of our machines but only because it came pre-loaded.

We even use Open Office for printing our business catalogues using the brochure print feature which saves us having to use a separate DTP program.

The only things we still use Lotus Wordpro for now are sticky labels (more accurate for lining up than OO for some reason) and for printing of double DVD cases which have a top (rather than side) spine because you can flip the text in a table cell upside down (never seen that in any other WP program).

Graham

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I have open office on my laptop, don't use it much but have not encountered any problems so far. Seems very much like MS Office

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Use it all the time

Load it on our PCs for customers If they don't purchase MS Office.

Works fine and good compatibility with office docs etc.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use it extensively, I think as many are put off it because it is free as there are those attracted to it. But it is true, there is such a thing as a free lunch:Smile:

Even Microsoft Works, which is like a cut down version of Office is expensive and not as complete, and a legal copy of Office is almost £300 so its a no Brainer really, for most things you will find it more that adequate.

I like Free:roflmto:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I use it extensively, I think as many are put off it because it is free as there are those attracted to it. But it is true, there is such a thing as a free lunch:Smile:
The free lunch came about because of the extent of love and admiration that Sun Microsystems had/has for Microsoft. Sun decided seven years ago that they wanted to dent the market of MS Office and created Open Office (originally Sun Office) to do so.

Graham

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, Everyone

Thanks for the advice, I haved down loaded it and it feels very similar to MS Office

Thanks
Brian

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Open Office (originally Sun Office) to do so.
Sorry, should have said Star Office not Sun Office. Star Office is still commercially available and has features which are not in Open Office - mainly database related I think.

Thanks to this thread I've been prompted to upgrade from version 2.0 to 2.3 of Open Office, something I've been meaning to do for a while.

Graham

EDIT - Just found a way of switching the text in a table cell to upside down so maybe I'll be able to dispense with Smartsuite now :)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back