Oops.... (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We were admiring a brand spankers Bailey Autograph on a car park in town today and talking to the proud owners. Conversation covered lots of topics and then on to weight. His MH was 8 metres long so asked what weight he could have on it and he said that they had gone for the 3850 kg model as he was short on payload on his last motorhome.
I explained that I had just had ours upgraded to 3850 kg but had waited until I had retained my C1 licence at 70 years.
At this his eyes started glazing over and asked why that was important? I explained grandad rights and what happened to your licence at 70 but that in most cases keeping your C1 wasn't difficult unless you had heart or other health problems. "I have problems with my heart" he said. "and I am 70 in eight months time"
He had no idea that he needed to apply for a C1 at 70 or what it entailed !!!!

I advised to get as much information as he could about keeping his C1.

I have thought a bit about whether I should post this, but decided to do so in order to highlight this situation as we seem to have quite a lot of people joining the forum and asking for advise about motorhomes to buy.

Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Oh dear! I really think that the dealers should have made him aware of the c1 licence when 70, typical again of the poor service you can get from dealers,to eager to get your money!!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There was a lady on fb whose thrilled to bits at having bought a new mh at the NEC. However its only got just over 400kg payload and looks like they are a couple with 3 children. I think payloads are another problem (or lack of).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
There was a lady on fb whose thrilled to bits at having bought a new mh at the NEC. However its only got just over 400kg payload and looks like they are a couple with 3 children. I think payloads are another problem (or lack of).

and no doubt it has sufficient belted travelling seats :whistle:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
It is of course possible to downgrade the van if payload is not a problem.

I don’t think this would help much in this particular case, although I appreciate that you were talking more generally. It looks as if the gentleman in question has a Bailey Autograph 79-4, which if downplated to 3500 would leave a payload of 144Kg. This would make the van unusable.It would just about cover me with my clothes on!

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
The model he had, Autograph 79-4 lists an Unladen Weight of 3366 kg which with driver only onboard would put it very close to the limit

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
and no doubt it has sufficient belted travelling seats :whistle:

Yep - my 7 berth, 6 belted seats, 7.5m van was plated at 3500kg when I got it, and had been so for the previous 9 years. With 3 kids and all the stuff that comes with them absolutely no chance of keeping below that. Plated at 4000kg now and I struggle to keep to that, I probably fail on occasions but not by much. Previous owners must have been well & truly over the 3500kg.

Luckily I'm old enough to have "Grandad rights", but young enough that the medical at 70 is still 25 years away!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Oh dear! I really think that the dealers should have made him aware of the c1 licence when 70, typical again of the poor service you can get from dealers,to eager to get your money!!!

That happened to me when I bought my 1st van, a 2007 Rapido on a merc - I was then 71 and had not kept my C1 as at 70 I was still a tugger.

When purchasing the van the dealer never mentioned weight or asked me what category of licence I held and at the time I was totally ignorant of the licence requirement o_O

A couple of months later I decided to have rear air suspension fitted as the ride was terrible and whilst fitting it the garage called me to show me that both the rear springs were broken (no wonder the ride was bad) and they had obviously been broken some time!! long before I bought it in the opinion of the garage! :mad:

At the time I did not realize how easy it was to get my C1 category back so I sold the van in PX for a 3500 Knaus and took a big hit!! :eek:

Having had the Knaus for 2 years I then took the medical (doctors on wheels £53) and bought my current van a Hymer ML-I 580 now plated at 4000KG and all is well :)

A very expensive lesson caused by my ignorance and a downright poor dealer! :(

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I keep my hgv licence going . my van is 3.5. But only weighs 2.4. So no problems for me. My medical with doctors on wheels only cost me £35 .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back