Oops I did not empty the grey water and now it stinks! (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
As per the title. We got back from France 2 weeks ago and the grey tank was about a third full so I thought no rush I'll do it when I prep for the next trip.

Well got in it today and it stinks! Real old dish water type smell. If I did not have a cold I would have probably thrown up! Which makes me think wow how bad is it without the cold?!?

I then realised that the sink drains are just open pipes to the waste so it will just have been fermenting for the last 2 weeks fuming into the hab area.

I have drained the tank then ran a few more liters fresh water down the sinks with a bit of soap and went for a drive to slosh it round then drained again. Added X2 car air freshners - 1 in the living area and one in the bathroom and that's it for now. Still stinks but am hoping it will calm down now?

Anyone else done this? (For sure I guess) what's my best plan of attact to make it nice again?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Try 2 or 3 bottles of cheap cola like Aldi own brand tipped in to the tank, take it for a run up the road to shake about then drain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ours got smelly in hot weather last year when we had not had facilities to empty it for a few days. I rinsed out with water and then sloshed around washing powder in the drains and tank for next drive and it did the trick. Don't bother with air freshener things they just add more smell.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I did same. Tried coke etc made no difference. I bought a bottle of drain fresh, I think it's thetfords. Great stuff. No more smells. I keep a bottle in van now, just in case

Upvote 0

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
We had this problem when touring last summer. I have fitted water traps to all the drains (£5 each) and regularly clean the pipes and tank with a solution of citric acid.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thetfords.
Then remember in the future to keep the plugs in your sink, shower etc! (except when using, of course :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The cheap coke method works for us. The cheaper the better but it has to be full fat not any type of diet or zero version.

Pour it in, making sure you pour some down each drain not forgetting the shower. Drive around for half an hour, empty it, job done.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tried coke didn't work, bio washing liquid gives reasonable results but not found anything that works as well as Thetford waste tank cleaner.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Dometic Power Care Tabs will remove all the smell. Just break one open in a sink and flush the powder down the drain with hot water. They aren't cheap, but they are very effective and don't need to be used very often. They are meant for black waste tanks but work brilliantly in grey waste tanks. The link below shows one supplier, there others.
Amazon product ASIN B00ORLBU98

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'll pour coke down then go for a run to my local Caravan supplier. Drain and then hit with Thetford drain cleaner. Drive back and empty again. That should hopefully hit it twice and do the trick.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2016
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 408
Exp
Since 2016
We also found that making sure all the plugs are in helps stop the smells coming in- had to buy one for the shower though. Clothes washing liquid worked quite well put down all sinks with lots of warm water - drive round sand then drain. But then tried fenwicks waste pipe and tank cleaner worked better.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
They fords Waste Tank cleaner with small amount of water empty after a drive.
Sink plugs in unless using!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
White vinegar. And Thetford drain cleaner poured down all the waste outlets in the van...including the one on the hob if you have one.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Somewhere in your Moho you should find a trap door into your grey waste tank, this is designed to allow access for all the unemployed ex chimmerly sweep children when they outlawed their use.
You need to find one that will fit, some have got fat due to being out of work, and send it down into said tank with a bottle of bleach and a toothbrush. A week or so of scrubbing should solve your nasty niff problem completely, then lay off the small child onto the dole till someone else needs it. Note; do not feed the small child during the period it is in your tank as it may get too fat to extricate, this is not a major problem as it will be there for next time but it may drastically reduce the capacity of your grey water tank.

This post was brought to you by the ever helpful Badknee, if your having problems finding a small child please contact me as I have a list of suitable candidates.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I find that this ingenious little device goes a long way towards preventing nasty niffs in the habitation area:

sink_plug_white.jpg

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Mind you, on the subject of intrusive waste water, my missus overfilled the under sink drawer with cutlery and kitchen rolls in our new MH, and (being male) I lost my patience trying to close it and rammed it shut. Later on, after washing up, I went outside to check the boot door and stepped into a puddle of washing up water.

WTF had that come from? The grey water dump valve was shut. Aaargh! I looked like one of those barely sentient degenerates who dump their grey water onto the car park.

When I'd rammed the overfull drawer shut, the thing that had been resisting was the plastic waste pipe from the sink plug. It had popped out, and I'd drained the sink onto the habitation floor behind the kitchen units, via the drawer. Water (as always) finds a way out, and had dribbled through a pipe gap in the MH floor onto the ground below the doorstep.

Moral of the story? If the under sink drawer won't shut there may be a very good reason. :)

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Its always best to keep the plugs in as well when you dump the waste as water can be sucked out of the waste traps

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Viennese did that suggestion I gave you help with pipe blockage? If not, there could be something on this thread that might be of some help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Currently back at the van. All plugs now in place. Smell is a bit better but tomorrow I'll be off for cheap coke and some Therford drain cleaner and a good drive round the countryside while I work my magic. Might even get an ice cream (y)

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
@Viennese did that suggestion I gave you help with pipe blockage? If not, there could be something on this thread that might be of some help.

When we had a blocked pipe in our Butstner used mr muscle drain cleaner fulshed away after 15 min no problems after that but pour slowly so as not to get any on sink

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back