ONYX Perfect E moped if only it was legal in UK! (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I came across this beauty,on you tube. They are made in San Fran.

One of these in my MH and I'd be in heaven!

60mph on a moped! Regen brakes. 3 modes including the S""t of a shovel model
Santa I want one :giggle:(y):love:
Shame our UK electric bike laws are so hopelessly out of date.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Nothing wrong with our laws. If it complied in terms of our Construction & Use (or whatever they're called now) regs then it could be used here. If it doesn't it's because the manufacturer isn't interested in the market. At what power output / performance do you think it changes from being as pushbike to a motorbike? We have, in general, pretty sensible laws about what constitutes a moped / scooter / motorcycle.

OP
OP
JP1889
Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well to me the whole genre of electric transport has blurred traditional vehicular definitions. Yet UK law is outdated and littered with many with contradictory anomalies which is hardly surprising since it is based upon the Highways Act of 1835 which unbelievably predates even the bicycle, let alone cars and motorbikes.

The law says
“If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon.”

Carriage of any description is why the this wonderful law bans tiny kids toy electric scooters, segways, swagtrons, hoverboards, hoverkarts from UK pavements; yet they are totally legal in many other countries.

Amazingly this 1/3rd ton 'mobility monster' is legal on the pavements and road at 8mph. (15mph in the EU)
s-l225.jpg

I posted the ONYX electric moped as an example of a superb alternative to fossil fuel scooters.
Also to highlight how future tech is developing in other countries in answer to the climate emergency with cleaner cheaper green alternatives. Globally electric scooters ia a massive business and is being embraced with different laws in scores of countries.

Good job are UK laws are still stifling innovation and are still fit for purpose.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Whats an electric bike got to do with riding on the pavement?

The bike is illegal on the road coz it isn't type approved, and pavements are for people walking...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Well to me the whole genre of electric transport has blurred traditional vehicular definitions. Yet UK law is outdated and littered with many with contradictory anomalies which is hardly surprising since it is based upon the Highways Act of 1835 which unbelievably predates even the bicycle, let alone cars and motorbikes.

The law says
“If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon.”

Carriage of any description is why the this wonderful law bans tiny kids toy electric scooters, segways, swagtrons, hoverboards, hoverkarts from UK pavements; yet they are totally legal in many other countries.

Amazingly this 1/3rd ton 'mobility monster' is legal on the pavements and road at 8mph. (15mph in the EU)
View attachment 366754

I posted the ONYX electric moped as an example of a superb alternative to fossil fuel scooters.
Also to highlight how future tech is developing in other countries in answer to the climate emergency with cleaner cheaper green alternatives. Globally electric scooters ia a massive business and is being embraced with different laws in scores of countries.

Good job are UK laws are still stifling innovation and are still fit for purpose.
I think that might have been overtaken by the Highways Act 1980.

OP
OP
JP1889
Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
[
I think that might have been overtaken by the Highways Act 1980.
Not at all repealed it is still in force.
HA 80 was mainly about technical definitions of highways and ownership.
i think i am correct in saying it had nothing to do with definitions of types of carriage access.

OP
OP
JP1889
Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
[

Not at all repealed it is still in force.
HA 80 was mainly about technical definitions of highways and ownership.
i think i am correct in saying it had nothing to do with definitions of types of carriage access.
Sorry Tony I should have clarified this by saying that section 72 of the 1835 Highways act (which I quoted) above is still very much in force and not repealed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nothing wrong with our laws. If it complied in terms of our Construction & Use (or whatever they're called now) regs then it could be used here. If it doesn't it's because the manufacturer isn't interested in the market. At what power output / performance do you think it changes from being as pushbike to a motorbike? We have, in general, pretty sensible laws about what constitutes a moped / scooter / motorcycle.
What about e bikes with motors over 250 watt, to ride on the road they need to be registered and insured but you can't register them in the UK DVLA haven't got a clue if you ask them. Not a problem in other countries.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
What about e bikes with motors over 250 watt, to ride on the road they need to be registered and insured but you can't register them in the UK DVLA haven't got a clue if you ask them. Not a problem in other countries.
You can. Here's one:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thats a scooter not a bike, DVLA just can't handle it.
There are electric motorcycles available too. I don't understand what you mean really. At no time has it ever been acceptable to stick a power unit of any sort on a push bike and use it on the road (other than the petrol-powered devices of long ago). Where do you draw the line on power output, need for lights, indicators, safety equipment, that are required for any powered two-wheeler? The Law has decided on 250W as being safe for a push bike with its standard, legally required, equipment. That seems reasonable as the dividing line between a push bike and a motorbike. If you are thinking about the legality of mini-scooters then provided they're under 250W and have all the safety equipment of a push bike then they can be used. So where is the problem?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There are electric motorcycles available too. I don't understand what you mean really. At no time has it ever been acceptable to stick a power unit of any sort on a push bike and use it on the road (other than the petrol-powered devices of long ago). Where do you draw the line on power output, need for lights, indicators, safety equipment, that are required for any powered two-wheeler? The Law has decided on 250W as being safe for a push bike with its standard, legally required, equipment. That seems reasonable as the dividing line between a push bike and a motorbike. If you are thinking about the legality of mini-scooters then provided they're under 250W and have all the safety equipment of a push bike then they can be used. So where is the problem?
A lot of e-bikes are avaliable wwith 350 watt and higher power motor which you can register in other countries but the UK doesn't appear to have the means to do this.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
E-bikes in France have similar rules to the UK- max power 250W, cut-off at 25kph (15mph) and power only when pedalling - no twist-grip throttle. Helmets obligatory for children under 12 years (electric or not).

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A lot of e-bikes are avaliable wwith 350 watt and higher power motor which you can register in other countries but the UK doesn't appear to have the means to do this.
That's the point though: There has to be a cut-off for engine/motor power after which it turns into a motorcycle (or Powered Two Wheeler as they are now called). The UK and a number of other countries have chosen 250W which is low enough to need assistance from the rider. Much higher and the motor needs no help at all and the vehicle turns into a PTW. They could have chosen 350W I agree and that is realistically the absolute upper limit.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984

Around here we have shared cycle ways and footpaths, I wouldn't want to share with one of these when I was walking my dog thanks.
If registered as a motorbike, used on the road, then no problem

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
E-bikes in France have similar rules to the UK- max power 250W, cut-off at 25kph (15mph) and power only when pedalling - no twist-grip throttle. Helmets obligatory for children under 12 years (electric or not).
That's a bicycle though....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Get researching electric motorcycles. There are several similar to this but are proper motorcycles so can be used legally as long as you have a license or do a CBT.

I saw a couple last year doing a demo tour, the dealer said "how much do you think this costs ?". "£7500". "No Sir, £4500". It was a normal small motorcycle but electric powered. Range something like 40 miles. I was seriously tempted just for a bit of fun.

Uwotm8

Free Member
Nov 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
OP I'm in the same position. I fell in love with this thing and I'm annoyed that it's not legal. There's gotta be a way around this

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Reminds me of my 1st bike... An MZ Simpson when I was 16 years old. Looks vaguely the same :Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Although this might change from the 1st Jan 2021.

The form..

Cost £100

OP
OP
JP1889
Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well an update. So many interesting replies.

Onyx are going from strength to strength, best seller in the rapidly expanding USA electric moped segment. They've opened 2 new factories and still cant meet demand, with about a 3 month waiting list. They've added an optional higher capacity battery for 75 miles range, also a rapid charger for something like 90 minutes just from a standard plug.
Early adopters of the original mopeds got these for just $2100!!! Now the standard is $4100
For a MH they seem tick many boxes; 66 kgs; fit in the garage , off road capability and rapid charging.

They lend themselves for tinkering,I've seen some great modifications online with mirrors indicators and racks.

Not sure how the UK insurance industry would react to getting cover.
I asked them for a quote on the new Yamaha Tricity and got a quote of £8400, a real bargain since the bike was over £7k.

Can see a big future for lightweight electric mopeds.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Produced to our regs, safety requirements etc, then yes I think there is a big future for them as many users won't do anything like the daily mileage that would cause issues due to the lower battery capacity that restricts cars and makes them unsuitable for a lot of people who need to do longer commutes.

Arran

Free Member
Dec 23, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Mobile Library
Well an update. So many interesting replies.

Onyx are going from strength to strength, best seller in the rapidly expanding USA electric moped segment. They've opened 2 new factories and still cant meet demand, with about a 3 month waiting list. They've added an optional higher capacity battery for 75 miles range, also a rapid charger for something like 90 minutes just from a standard plug.
Early adopters of the original mopeds got these for just $2100!!! Now the standard is $4100
For a MH they seem tick many boxes; 66 kgs; fit in the garage , off road capability and rapid charging.

They lend themselves for tinkering,I've seen some great modifications online with mirrors indicators and racks.

Not sure how the UK insurance industry would react to getting cover.
I asked them for a quote on the new Yamaha Tricity and got a quote of £8400, a real bargain since the bike was over £7k.

I've got to admit I've spent the last few days trying to find a road legal E-bike that can do over 40mph in the UK. My reasoning? I want to commute along 60mph rural roads to work, I have a full motorcycle licence anyway, but I want a bit of exercise too. What better way than to zip along with the ability to pedal?

I do agree that these sorts of bikes should only be legal on roads, certainly not safe on pavements, by users that have completed a CBT or full A licence (or whatever version of A is also applicable). Insurance and MOT requirements are sensible also, as call it what you will, it is a motorcycle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back