Only just been round the block (1 Viewer)

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
You guys on here have already been a source of inspiration. I know I've left my introduction a bit late but like they say better late than never. Where shall I start, my academic achievements were pretty crap but so was my uncle Harry's and he became a self-made millionaire. I'm still working on that but I really should have followed in my dad's footsteps and joined the Navy. Every time I fell out with my first wife I was down the recruiting office but for some reason, I never did sign on the dotted line. I was a bit of a handful when I left school and half way through my plumbing apprenticeship I was suspended for six months. As it turned out those six months were the best days of my life as far as work experience was concerned. I was introduced to the ganger at Camber docks Old Portsmouth and put to work as a stevedore. As jobs go it was pretty tough, at seventeen I was working alongside some of the hardest men I've ever known but I loved every minute of it. If container ships hadn't put cargo vessels out of business in the mid-sixties I would probably have remained a stevedore for the rest of my working days. So with the sea being in my blood, I became a shipwright for the Royal Naval Dockyard at Portsmouth. The fact that I nearly sunk the aircraft carrier HMS Albion didn't go down too well with the admiralty so I went back to plumbing and heating for a while before ending up at Esso / Exon Mobile as a steam engineer for 28 years before retiring at 67. Although I didn't become a millionaire like my uncle Harry I can't think of anything I would change if I started over. I remarried in 1971 and boy have we had a fantastic relationship, we've been to most places on my bucket list, raised a couple of beautiful daughters, and now enjoying old age looking after the granddaughter. Apart from globe trotting we've had several enjoyable years caravanning in the UK and hopefully we will renew our love of the outdoors with the Elnagh MH we bought recently, time will tell

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
interesting life history there. you can only regret the things you didn't do. which wasn't much by the look of things

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Love your introduction welcome to fun look forward to your posts letting us know how you got on.
hellowelcome

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi & Big Welcome from the Isle of Wight
I too worked over at Esso , but at one of there fuel delivery companies in the office , 20 years running I.o.W. depot , then 16 years at Fawley cadland road hardley.
Enjoy your motorhome its a great form of retirement
Terry

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Welcome to the fun house!

graemegoingsouth

Free Member
Apr 16, 2016
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Looking to purchase
Exp
Hi
Liked your post for the main reason I was on
HMS Albion 68-71. We had a major refit somewhere about 1970. Was that when your almost sank it??
Graeme

HarryML

Free Member
Apr 15, 2018
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Miller Indiana
Exp
Welcome ex Pompey dockie, from an ex Guzz matelot.:

WynandJean