Only Fiat could do this.... (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Started the mh (x250) yesterday and the following happened..
Red handbrake light stayed on
Red power steering light came on
Amber ABS light came on
Fuel gauge didn't work
Speedo didn't work
No figures appeared for trip distance..mpg ..etc
Green Cruise C light not on

However everything drove correctly so I decided to continue to destination. I was fearful that if I turned off the engine it either wouldn't start or it would be in limp mode. Got to destination ..switched off and on again...everything was back to normal !!!
It hand been raining heavily overnight.
All was ok on the return trip.
Started again this morning and same malfunctions. Drove for 300yds..switched off and all ok on restart!!
Any ideas what could be the problem?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I remember talk of a big connector block on them somewhere that is prone to get water on it and fail, maybe near the fuse box šŸ¤” sorry I can't be more specific.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Started the mh (x250) yesterday and the following happened..
Red handbrake light stayed on
Red power steering light came on
Amber ABS light came on
Fuel gauge didn't work
Speedo didn't work
No figures appeared for trip distance..mpg ..etc
Green Cruise C light not on

However everything drove correctly so I decided to continue to destination. I was fearful that if I turned off the engine it either wouldn't start or it would be in limp mode. Got to destination ..switched off and on again...everything was back to normal !!!
It hand been raining heavily overnight.
All was ok on the return trip.
Started again this morning and same malfunctions. Drove for 300yds..switched off and all ok on restart!!
Any ideas what could be the problem?
But everything else was ok! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Have you got an additional alarm system on the van?
How old is the van/alarm system?

Keith

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I remember talk of a big connector block on them somewhere that is prone to get water on it and fail, maybe near the fuse box šŸ¤” sorry I can't be more specific.

Think it's normally referred to as "rusty junction". A multiwire wrapped cable exits below the engine fuse box and forms a U-bend where water can collect and cause possible corrosion to the wiring loom.

If you google "rusty junction" and follow the link to the outandaboutlive forum, you'll find plenty of info on this known Fiat X250 problem. One of the MMM resident Technical contributors, Nick Fisher, with forum name "euroserv" used to service a fleet of Fiat vans, so knows his stuff.

OP
OP
W
Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Thanks for all your quick responses. I don't feel it's the battery because starting is "enthusiastic" with no dimming of headlights...but I will check tomorrow.
I've heard of the rusty junction and it maybe that . However as it was a "red" on power steering I've checked the fluid level and it is only just on the dipstick. As the symptoms have only occurred over the last 2 nights on one pitch I am thinking maybe the level sensor ( if there is one) has been triggered. I will top up tomorrow and keep you posted on the outcome.
BUT why do Fiat lecky systems work in such weird ways!!!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Instruments like the fuel gauge and speedo are supplied from a small voltage regulator in the instrument panel. Maybe the other circuits are also supplied from the same regulator, and it's on its way out.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Think it's normally referred to as "rusty junction". A multiwire wrapped cable exits below the engine fuse box and forms a U-bend where water can collect and cause possible corrosion to the wiring loom.

If you google "rusty junction" and follow the link to the outandaboutlive forum, you'll find plenty of info on this known Fiat X250 problem. One of the MMM resident Technical contributors, Nick Fisher, with forum name "euroserv" used to service a fleet of Fiat vans, so knows his stuff.
That's where I thought I heard it from but wasn't sure enough to say. Nick has dispensed some great advice over the years šŸ‘

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My old fiat did a similar thing about 6 years ago. The speedo went crazy, lights came on, but it worked normally. After switch off and switch back on everything returned to normal.

I kept an eye on it for a few weeks after that in case it was a sign of things to come and an imminent failure. It never repeated itself.

I just put it down to the computer flipping out as they do occassionally.

OP
OP
W
Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Well.. I've topped up power steering fluid and all seems to be ok. The level was just below minimum....but that raises the question, why? Something for another day!!
I can't be sure this is the cure because my driveway is flat and the pitch was slightly nose down .... we'll see. I'll have to find a sloping pitch on Thursday at CirencesteršŸ˜

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Had a stupid thought. Could it be water from the windscreen scuttle drain that we have been changing see older threads?

OP
OP
W
Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
It maybe.....I'll have to start investigating again because some of the issues started again on the way to Cirencester!!! Some bits worked that didn't before and a new one.. engine check light, amber, came on. However power steering light was okšŸ‘
autorouter may well be right but I will also be considering a failing ABS sensor. I think ABS may drive the speedo..digital display data..fuel gauge(?)...and cruise control. I overheard the dealer chatting to a driver about clogged/ damaged ABS sensors causing all sorts of errors ..sometimes just because they get dirty.
Everything can wait until after this trip! Keep you posted.

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
My 2.8jtd. Driving on a bumpy concrete motorway all dash lights went out only the speedometer worked (mechanical)
Everything came back on after 10mins. Injector red warning light comes on if I hit a pothole,engine power drops and then recovers within a few minutes.
Just part of living with crappy Fiat.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
My 2.8jtd. Driving on a bumpy concrete motorway all dash lights went out only the speedometer worked (mechanical)
Everything came back on after 10mins. Injector red warning light comes on if I hit a pothole,engine power drops and then recovers within a few minutes.
Just part of living with crappy Fiat.
Not just FIATs that are crappy. The Fords have their moments as do the Mercs (especially electrical faults)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back