Online availability for CL/CS sites? (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
The CLBooking app is up but not running. The create an account form won't let me type in my details 🤨

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I would point out that the CCC insist that the only advertising CS owners use is through the Club :rofl:

That's why there aren't so many CS's on, say UKCampsite.

The ones that are have cocked a snook at the little Hitler in the CCC that was insisting on it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We tend not to book anything unless we want to be in a particular place at a certain time. Generally when we're poodling around we'll stop mid-afternoon, have a cuppa and look to see where we're going to stop overnight. Sometimes it's a campsite, sometimes a CL/CS, sometimes a Britstop (pub usually) but we've always managed to find something. Actually there was one occasion we had a bit of difficulty finding somewhere reasonably close, but we were already in a rather nice and quiet off-road layby so we stopped there instead!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Want the full booking of a big site but the cheapness of a cl. I can see it now everyone protesting they must have full computer system, then when they put their prices up to pay for it the cries of rip off campsite. I would not have a campsite if I was paid to with all the grizzly campers about. If something doesn’t suit someone why not just go somewhere else, the owners are probably happy with what they do and their life without all the computer stuff.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hope the new CL website is better than the main CMC one - tiz pants

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Want the full booking of a big site but the cheapness of a cl. I can see it now everyone protesting they must have full computer system, then when they put their prices up to pay for it the cries of rip off campsite. I would not have a campsite if I was paid to with all the grizzly campers about. If something doesn’t suit someone why not just go somewhere else, the owners are probably happy with what they do and their life without all the computer stuff.

Big site fees are about toilet blocks, showers, hardstandings, play areas and access control systems.

A well designed website shared amongst all the CS/CLs in the club would, I think, significantly improve their takings and not be a cost centre. It also saves much hassle in running a manual booking system.

Yes, they'd pay a bit in website fees and card processing fees. They'd make it back in spades through higher utilisation, especially if it is properly integrated into the main website, so easy to find with geographical search for available pitches.

When we run charity BBQs at events, we almost doubled our take when we tried offering a card machine. There's not many people left who like the inconvenience of cash (and phoning for basic service that should be self-serve on a website) any more. Most CL/CS owners are busy people (typically farmers) who have better things to do than either run websites or sit by the phone taking bookings. The clubs should be offering this service.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I would point out that the CCC insist that the only advertising CS owners use is through the Club :rofl:

That's why there aren't so many CS's on, say UKCampsite.

The ones that are have cocked a snook at the little Hitler in the CCC that was insisting on it.
I was told that as well Derek, I'm not sure if the CS (c&cc) owners have to pay additional fees to be in the book whereas the Cl (CAMC) owners only have to pay yearly membership same as anyone else. Is my understanding.

The cs's could all move over to become Fun cls ;):LOL:
Hope the new CL website is better than the main CMC one - tiz pants
I think the c&cc website takes a bit of navigating - but find the CAMC website is much is much easier.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Big site fees are about toilet blocks, showers, hardstandings, play areas and access control systems.

A well designed website shared amongst all the CS/CLs in the club would, I think, significantly improve their takings and not be a cost centre. It also saves much hassle in running a manual booking system.

Yes, they'd pay a bit in website fees and card processing fees. They'd make it back in spades through higher utilisation, especially if it is properly integrated into the main website, so easy to find with geographical search for available pitches.

When we run charity BBQs at events, we almost doubled our take when we tried offering a card machine. There's not many people left who like the inconvenience of cash (and phoning for basic service that should be self-serve on a website) any more. Most CL/CS owners are busy people (typically farmers) who have better things to do than either run websites or sit by the phone taking bookings. The clubs should be offering this service.
It always seems on here now days lots of people saying how others should run their buisness. I was once told running your own business is to make lots more money or do it the way you like to do it. I don’t think running a cl is going to make them their millions.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
It always seems on here now days lots of people saying how others should run their buisness. I was once told running your own business is to make lots more money or do it the way you like to do it. I don’t think running a cl is going to make them their millions.
Correct, my mate is a farmer with a CS, his way is, you phone, make a booking and pay in cash when you get there. His CS, his rules. Anything over and above phone calls and text messages would fall on his wife to do and I could just imagine what she would say about that.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Correct, my mate is a farmer with a CS, his way is, you phone, make a booking and pay in cash when you get there. His CS, his rules. Anything over and above phone calls and text messages would fall on his wife to do and I could just imagine what she would say about that.

Er, online booking wouldn't be "over and above" in terms of effort. In fact, it would pretty much run itself. The website takes the cash and checks availability. All the owner has to do is basically nothing. They might want to introduce themselves on arrival, but it would all work and they'd get paid even if they didn't!

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Er, online booking wouldn't be "over and above" in terms of effort. In fact, it would pretty much run itself. The website takes the cash and checks availability. All the owner has to do is basically nothing. They might want to introduce themselves on arrival, but it would all work and they'd get paid even if they didn't!
As I said, his CS. And I can't see him changing any time soon.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Make me think of all those people that want to escape to the country for a better more peaceful way of life, then moan about the shop not being open 10 pm at night or no street lights. Why fix what ain’t broken..

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Make me think of all those people that want to escape to the country for a better more peaceful way of life, then moan about the shop not being open 10 pm at night or no street lights. Why fix what ain’t broken..

Precisely because it *is* broken. Phone round CL/CSs to get availability is a ballache for the punters. For the owner, it is a ballache having to answer the phone any hour of the day and handle all the admin.

Now, obviously, the punters and owners are, on average, a little older than the general population and are a bit more prone to doing the things the old familiar ways. This won't last for ever, though. Once one of the clubs opens their booking system to their CLs or CSs, many younger members (or younger at heart) will rush to that club for the sheer convenience of immediate booking confirmation and the lack of need for cash payment.

You don't have to phone around (or find a cash machine) for an airbnb. So why for a CL/CS?

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
We tend not to book anything unless we want to be in a particular place at a certain time. Generally when we're poodling around we'll stop mid-afternoon, have a cuppa and look to see where we're going to stop overnight. Sometimes it's a campsite, sometimes a CL/CS, sometimes a Britstop (pub usually) but we've always managed to find something. Actually there was one occasion we had a bit of difficulty finding somewhere reasonably close, but we were already in a rather nice and quiet off-road layby so we stopped there instead!
Same for us, what's the point of the freedom of a MH if you want to plan everything in advance, every time?
There are times when we book ahead, if we have a definite destination, but otherwise it is usually a bit of a mystery tour, just as well with my memory and Sue's map reading skills, have ended up in some very strange places.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I think we have used every sort of CL this year. We have booked through CL booking.co.uk, we’ve booked through the site‘s own website, we’ve e mailed and we have phoned. Similarly we have paid deposits, and no deposits, by bank transfer, by credit card and by cash.
there are pros and cons to each. I prefer email direct to the site. I don’t like phoning, because I never know best time to phone, also no record.
we booked one this year, through there own web site, all very efficient, deposit paid, notified when to pay balance. It was a nice site, very friendly but the booking system was just a bit too impersonal, and sort of remote. Another site, all booked by email, but really friendly emails, even though messages they send out to all e.g. with info about site and area.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Same for us, what's the point of the freedom of a MH if you want to plan everything in advance, every time?
There are times when we book ahead, if we have a definite destination, but otherwise it is usually a bit of a mystery tour, just as well with my memory and Sue's map reading skills, have ended up in some very strange places.

In our case, our children persist in wanting to come. If they come, we need pup tents, which means we need an actual campsite. These days that means booking, as it could be many miles turning up on the off chance to be disappointed.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Just found this thread whilst checking to see if it was just me, that in 2022, I still couldn't find any online availability for certified locations. I have a choice - go on Pitchup where all their sites whether big, small or pop-up post online availability ....or ring round a load of CL sites in the hope one is free ...🤷‍♂️
I did look at one CL - nice little blurb about the site, and then it refers me to visit their website .....but they don't bother to include a link to their website - basically, go and track us down on Google, then ring us.... then we'll tell you we're full.

The small Pitchup sites are the same sort of prices as the CL's and easier to book and I don't have to pay a membership fee every year.
I know its fashionable to bash the big clubs but time and time again, I come away from a search, wondering why I renewed 😞

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Just found this thread whilst checking to see if it was just me, that in 2022, I still couldn't find any online availability for certified locations. I have a choice - go on Pitchup where all their sites whether big, small or pop-up post online availability ....or ring round a load of CL sites in the hope one is free ...🤷‍♂️
I did look at one CL - nice little blurb about the site, and then it refers me to visit their website .....but they don't bother to include a link to their website - basically, go and track us down on Google, then ring us.... then we'll tell you we're full.

The small Pitchup sites are the same sort of prices as the CL's and easier to book and I don't have to pay a membership fee every year.
I know its fashionable to bash the big clubs but time and time again, I come away from a search, wondering why I renewed 😞
I had forgotten about Pitchup, thanks for the reminder, I didn't realise they list campsites worldwide. Just found this one whilst browsing..... my wife took one look and said..NO :rolleyes:

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Update - well in the positives column, I got a prompt answer back to my query with CMC as to why there's availability on Pitchup but not on CMC.

If you strip it back, the answer basically says...These are independent businesses, and whilst some CL sites do have online booking (is this really a thing - I did find one last year, but its very rare isn't it?), many don't because they prefer to use the phone, or don't have access to the internet.

I don't buy the no internet bit - you could update an availability checker, even using the most basic of smart phones and whilst there are mobile blackout spots still, I don't know of an independent business that operates without some form of internet - mobile or fixed line.

So it boils down to the fact they dont want to...

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Update - well in the positives column, I got a prompt answer back to my query with CMC as to why there's availability on Pitchup but not on CMC.

If you strip it back, the answer basically says...These are independent businesses, and whilst some CL sites do have online booking (is this really a thing - I did find one last year, but its very rare isn't it?), many don't because they prefer to use the phone, or don't have access to the internet.

I don't buy the no internet bit - you could update an availability checker, even using the most basic of smart phones and whilst there are mobile blackout spots still, I don't know of an independent business that operates without some form of internet - mobile or fixed line.

So it boils down to the fact they dont want to...

The clubs are so far behind the times on this. They should be offering a centralised booking system for participating CL/CS sites. Such sites will literally get 2 to 3 times the bookings, I'd bet. It would be a gamechanger. The ballache of having to call people on a dodgy mobile line just to go through to voicemail should be a thing of the past.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
It’s call to book. I’ve never found it possible to see CL availability online. These are small, private sites and their owners don’t tend to have time to update servers constantly.
C&cc temp holiday sites are in an app 'out and about' I think the cl site are in the main app

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
There is an app CLBooking (available on Apple, not sure about Android?) which offers online booking for some CLs - <Broken link removed>

Justus3

Free Member
Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Vivaro conversion
We've found ukcampsite.co.uk much easier to find and contact CL's.
Same have availability calendars others have email contact form and /or web address. We like it for the reviews and simple listing information and the site search set up. Some listings have hardly anything a good few do though.
Much better set up and easier to use than any of the club sites. We've never used the club site to book anything way behind in design and useably. Compared to the odd and about section which we use all the time.
Have used pitch up and freedom camp again much better all round.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
At Woodside Field we do have our own booking system for the CL which works very well for us but also find that some people like to phone rather than using the online system. We often get people calling us at 9pm from our locked gate with no booking and we still greet them with a smile and flashlight to see them in.

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Phoning ahead when you're looking to book a week or more in advance is ok'ish. But this week our plans changed which meant we can head away over this weekend and Bank Holiday Monday.

So this Monday, I phoned and spoke to 18 x CL site in East Anglia and left messages for a further three. Not surprisingly there was zero availability (I was hoping there may have been a cancellation), so we've booked a Club Main Site online - which took just a couple of minutes.

Some friends who have a B&B (3 rooms) have done really well getting set up online and can't believe how much it's helped them free up from the endless phone calls. Ok they have to pay per booking, but equally they're availability has improved enormously with hardly a room free in the coming months.

What would be brilliant would be if the Clubs offered a central web booking service for CL's / CS's - and charged a small uplift for this service. As a customer I wouldn't have any problem if that charge was passed onto me to allow me to book online. Then we'd have CL's / CS's that you could book online and those that you can't. Club members then have a choice.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Phoning ahead when you're looking to book a week or more in advance is ok'ish. But this week our plans changed which meant we can head away over this weekend and Bank Holiday Monday.

So this Monday, I phoned and spoke to 18 x CL site in East Anglia and left messages for a further three. Not surprisingly there was zero availability (I was hoping there may have been a cancellation), so we've booked a Club Main Site online - which took just a couple of minutes.

Some friends who have a B&B (3 rooms) have done really well getting set up online and can't believe how much it's helped them free up from the endless phone calls. Ok they have to pay per booking, but equally they're availability has improved enormously with hardly a room free in the coming months.

What would be brilliant would be if the Clubs offered a central web booking service for CL's / CS's - and charged a small uplift for this service. As a customer I wouldn't have any problem if that charge was passed onto me to allow me to book online. Then we'd have CL's / CS's that you could book online and those that you can't. Club members then have a choice.
Totally agree.... if you are a business like CMC, why on earth would you build a new website that covers only half your sites?
Phoning up is inefficient for customers and if it it isn't already, it soon will be for sites as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back