Ongoing Issues with a New Elddis 175 purchased from Vehicles4Leisure (1 Viewer)

DurhamSpartan

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
Blyth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Prestige SE 175
Exp
I'm new
My last 2 caravans have been newly bought Elddis’. Around this time last year as a ‘valued customer’ I was invited to a factory open day. As I was contemplating a change to a motorhome I went along. On the edge of the main event some dealers had their ‘specials’ on display, one being Vehicles 4 Leisure. I looked at the Prestige 175, based on the Autoquest 175, but with many extras and in my opinion nicer internal fabrics etc. At this point I spoke to the V4L owner Garry Kemshell and said I liked the motorhome but would be concerned about buying a vehicle from a dealer in North Wales. He assured me that he had arrangements with many approved Elddis Service Centres who would deal with any warranty needs. I went to the NEC show and after looking at numerous motorhomes ordered one from V4L for delivery in March.
Delivery was agreed for 13th March – all well and good so far but this was to be the start of our problems.

When collecting the motorhome it had a flat leisure battery. It was kept overnight by V4L to ensure there was no problem other than a faulty battery. V4L’s conclusion after us having an unscheduled overnight stay in a hotel was that there was no problem with anything other than the battery, which they replaced. The battery again discharged within days of getting the motorhome back to the north east. V4L asked us to take the motorhome to an approved repairer around 25 miles from where we store it. The problem was identified as faulty water tank heater/s as the vehicle has a winter pack added. V4L then asked us to take the motorhome back to the Elddis factory so that they could rectify the problem. After a week of repair and testing the motorhome was returned and Elddis told all was well. This was clearly not the case as only 1 heater element had been replaced. I contacted the factory when our battery again went flat and I was asked to crawl under the motorhome and disconnect the leads to the heater which had not been replaced. After another visit to the factory the second heater was replaced and a switch was also installed so that the heaters do not operate unless I switched them on. So to get this matter fixed it took 4 attempts!

Badly fitted door to under bed storage – This was meant to be replaced however it transpired that it had instead been ‘refitted’, it then dropped off one of its hinges. This was replaced but it took 2 attempts!

Main Seating/Bed units – these continually ‘jumped up’ if no one was sitting on them. Initially the position of the gas struts were ‘adjusted’, but it made no difference. Elddis then acknowledged that when they inspected other similar motorhomes on the factory site most had the same problem. They concluded that as the seat mattresses had changed that year, they were lighter and therefore less powerful gas struts needed to be fitted. This was done and to date the problem has not re-occurred. But again it took 2 attempts to resolve this problem!

2 high level cupboard doors were catching on adjacent furniture. It was agreed that these would be ‘adjusted’. This was done but on our next outing one of the doors dropped off its hinges. It was then said by Elddis that because of their construction the doors cannot be adjusted and the only solution was to replace them. This was done when we took the motorhome back to the factory yet again, another repair that takes 2 attempts!

The water level indicator gauge is not working correctly. It was indicating half full when it was overflowing and also half full when in fact it was empty. Initially the system was allegedly recalibrated. This did not have any effect. I returned the motorhome once again and was told the system was again recalibrated and a new control panel was fitted. While we were away for a few days last week it still did not work, once again showing only half full when it was in fact overflowing. So this fault is going to take at least 3 attempts to rectify!

The above are by all means not the only issues, other matters such as a split head rest cover, malfunctioning microwave, ill-fitting furniture etc. have been replaced and or repaired at the first attempt.

To date I have clocked up over 700 miles in my motorhome and car (as my wife has to drive along to the factory to bring me back home) in an effort to get a motorhome that actually works as it should. I have approached both Elddis and V4L asking for compensation for my mileage etc. but both have firmly refused.

I write the above as words of warning to anyone thinking of buying such a vehicle or dealing with V4L.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Obviously you've had a good few issues with your MH, but can I ask why you purchased it from a dealer in North Wales, was there not any local dealers to you who could supply the same model ? Not to say that local dealers would be guaranteed to provide a better service mind !!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I may be missing something but surely the problem is the rubbish standard of construction of the motorhome. V4L are just a dealer from what I can see from their website. The Prestige 175 is a special built by Eldiss for V4L and I am not sure what more you can expect from the dealer who seems to be doing what they can with shoddy goods from the manufacturer.

It will be no comfort to you but my MH just had its first fault after two and a half years - a stained panel, cause not known but possibly something to do with an adhesive reacting with something. It was replaced free of charge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Take legal advice from a solicitor who has knowledge & experience with consumer law. Also if any part of the purchase of the motorhome was made by credit or debit card then speak to your card provider. Also if you took finance for the purchase then speak with the finance company.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Simply not good enough and heartbreaking to read :frowny:

It's a shame that it's almost impossible to hold any of them to account. Elddis should be grovelling at your feet and refunding at least some of the costs involved in travelling, even as a good will gesture :swear:

Hope it's finally sorted for you:worried:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
although involving other dealers, you are not alone in having hassle with a badly finished motorhome. the manufacturers seem to have absolutely no quality control in place any more

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
i wouldn't buy a new motorhome, tempting as it may be, i had a look at some new eldis models and didn't like the finish, went to the nec to see the corado model when it launched, the tv bracket was fitted right in front of your face by inches, and when i stood up my head hit the roof light, went to a dealers and looked at a new 145 and there was screw holes where a bracket had been moved over,

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Good Morning
My sympathy goes out to you over these problems with your New hard earned purchase. You are NOT alone. This situation is getting no better for anyone who purchase an New UK build from one of the big sheds!!!. I have had two such issues when buying New Autotrails. Lucely I had a very good dealer but even he could NOT get any joy with Autotrail factory.
My question is, from all you better informed members.
Am I right in saying that all UK built MH's from the big shed's have to meet NCC standards which has association with the CC club and C&CC so why are they not challenging manufacturers, dealers etc.

I'm sick to death of MH's being classed as a LEASURE vehicle "so what do you expect". Yes it is but a bloody expensive one, which costs as much as a luxury car, which if went wrong through a manufacturing fault would be taken back to the dealer and a curtasey vehicle for your use, mostly all at their expense.
Colin

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I know exactly where you are coming from, our first Motorhome we brought in November 2013 was a new Elddis Autoquest 155 from Motorhomesltd in Hull. I wont go into all the details again as there is a thread somewhere on here which tells all, but after only a month we decided to sell the Motorhome due to all the issues and lack of after care by not only the dealer but Elddis as well. I will never buy another motorhome by Elddis as there quality is just just shocking, similar issues as yourself, i.e. water gauge not working, shower door breaking, cupboards peeling, Habitat door falling apart just to name a few.

Not what you want to hear but if you can i would sell it, of course if you dont want to lose the money which none of us do then your best bet is just to try and do the things yourself to cut down on the repair mileage. 700 miles is a lot but at present even with our new motorhome which we brought November 2014 Autotrail Delaware (New), we have so far clocked up 2500 miles on repair work taking it back to Newark. We should of just brought local but as always they always offer a better deal when they are 400 miles away. Our issues are still on going but to be fair to the current dealer they are sorting the issues out it is just the distance between us.

Hope you get all the issues sorted, for us i couldnt stand it any longer so sold it.

All the best

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Am I right in saying that all UK built MH's from the big shed's have to meet NCC standards which has association with the CC club and C&CC so why are they not challenging manufacturers, dealers etc.
Maybe something to do with the fact that the NCC was setup by the manufacturers and is paid for by manufacturers and dealers.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@dbnosey
Hi....re your comment about why don't the cc & c&cc put pressure on the manufacturers...
Les's brother went all through this a few years ago when he had major problems with an Avondale caravan. Like you, we couldn't understand why the 2 clubs don't get involved.

We were told 'it's not in their remit':eek::mad:

Very frustrating though - hope you all get sorted quickly to your satisfaction.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Good Morning
My sympathy goes out to you over these problems with your New hard earned purchase. You are NOT alone. This situation is getting no better for anyone who purchase an New UK build from one of the big sheds!!!. I have had two such issues when buying New Autotrails. Lucely I had a very good dealer but even he could NOT get any joy with Autotrail factory.
My question is, from all you better informed members.

I'm sick to death of MH's being classed as a LEASURE vehicle "so what do you expect". Yes it is but a bloody expensive one, which costs as much as a luxury car, which if went wrong through a manufacturing fault would be taken back to the dealer and a curtasey vehicle for your use, mostly all at their expense.
Colin
The answer could be to buy non-UK made motorhomes. When I was looking the European manufacturers' products seemed so much better. Lots of European motorhomes are sold in the UK, but few UK motorhomes are sold in Europe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I may be missing something but surely the problem is the rubbish standard of construction of the motorhome. V4L are just a dealer from what I can see from their website. The Prestige 175 is a special built by Eldiss for V4L and I am not sure what more you can expect from the dealer who seems to be doing what they can with shoddy goods from the manufacturer.
True, but the supplying dealer is the one that the purchased has a contract with, under UK law rectification of any faults is the supplying dealers responsibility.
Most of the problems are minor and should be easily sorted by the dealer, It is a fairly low cost van and maybe not a lot of profit for dealer or manufacturer so perhaps they are trying to get away with the minimum.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
i wouldn't buy a new motorhome, tempting as it may be, i had a look at some new eldis models and didn't like the finish, went to the nec to see the corado model when it launched, the tv bracket was fitted right in front of your face by inches, and when i stood up my head hit the roof light, went to a dealers and looked at a new 145 and there was screw holes where a bracket had been moved over,
But you haven't actually brought a new van, I've had 2 Hymers only ever had minor problems all sorted by taking to the nearest dealer.
Your Comments about Corado, sounds like the dealer has been messing around, I've looked in loads of Carado's and been impressed with the finish for the price, they are only 25 -30k to buy new, very good value, unless you pay rip Britain prices.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The answer could be to buy non-UK made motorhomes. When I was looking the European manufacturers' products seemed so much better. Lots of European motorhomes are sold in the UK, but few UK motorhomes are sold in Europe.
Swift have tried a few times to sell abroad always fall flat on their face because of their quality or lack of it.
I wouldn't even consider wasting my hard earned cash on UK built vans, too much of a risk.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
True, but the supplying dealer is the one that the purchased has a contract with, under UK law rectification of any faults is the supplying dealers responsibility.
Most of the problems are minor and should be easily sorted by the dealer, It is a fairly low cost van and maybe not a lot of profit for dealer or manufacturer so perhaps they are trying to get away with the minimum.
Not arguing with that and if the OP had taken the vehicle back to the dealer I am sure they would have done what they could. As they lived so far away the dealer arranged repairs more local to the OP although for some repairs it had to go back to the factory. I'm not sure what more could be expected but my main point was that the whole OP seems to be about criticising a dealer when the real problem seems to be the actual MH itself and the thread might have been better titled "Don't Buy an Eldiss - from Anyone". :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
FWIW, we have rented many motorhomes, all different makes and models, and the water level gauges have not worked correctly in any of them. So when we purchased our own, we were not at all surprised to discover that the water level gauges gave comedy readings. The fresh level on ours reads full, until you use some water, and then it reads empty, whereas the waste level always reads half full, regardless of the actual level.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a compass avantgaurd which is an eldiss ,2007 bought second hand in 2012, and can't fault it everything works , nothing has fell off , love it, never planing on changing it, now I know this is not the new type but the standards must have really dropped since they made ours, but for anyone considering buying the older type I couldn't recommend them enough(y):)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Don't be too harsh on V4L, I got one of their Special editions New in 2010 and it was plagued with problems, when I queried why these had not been picked up on a pre delivery check they told me Elddis don't pay for these anymore, they do it themselves in the factory, in fact the local Peugeot dealer was really peed off because they had invested in a high building to accept the motorhomes for PDI's and that business had been taken off them.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I purchased a German M/H and had problems, not just a UK issue

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Don't be too harsh on V4L, I got one of their Special editions New in 2010 and it was plagued with problems, when I queried why these had not been picked up on a pre delivery check they told me Elddis don't pay for these anymore, they do it themselves in the factory, in fact the local Peugeot dealer was really peed off because they had invested in a high building to accept the motorhomes for PDI's and that business had been taken off them.

This is different to what Elddis told us, they said that the Vans are checked before they leave the factory but it was down to the dealer to do a pre check. Spoke with dealer and they say not down to them, one contradicting the other. Also when i called Elddis directly they said i need to go through the dealer but when the dealer doesnt call you back or keeps on fobbing you off it just makes it even more frustrating. Trying to get the work done from another dealer was also a waste of time as they all wanted money just to look at regardless of it being warranty work and an authorised dealer/service center. As stated previously and from my own personal experience "Dont buy and Elddis from anyone" problem solved. Although of course in reality there will be issues no matter who you buy from but how this is handled is just as important as getting the work done.

Just my opinion. :)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
FWIW, we have rented many motorhomes, all different makes and models, and the water level gauges have not worked correctly in any of them. So when we purchased our own, we were not at all surprised to discover that the water level gauges gave comedy readings. The fresh level on ours reads full, until you use some water, and then it reads empty, whereas the waste level always reads half full, regardless of the actual level.

For me if there is something in the motorhome or any vehicle that is supposed to do a job then it should do it, if they never work then they need to take it out and dont put it as a feature. The gauge in our Autotrail Delaware works absolutely fine but the Elddis one never ever worked as previously stated.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
It does seem to be a recurring theme on here that a number of British Manufacturers have an appalling level of quality control. We purchased a Moto-Trek Leisure Trekka last year, the tales of which can be found elsewhere on MHF.

We have just reached the point where the annual service is due which is needed to keep the warranty in place, the cost is £420 plus the travelling and a day off work (some of us still do!). I ask for a copy of what is done as "the service" it is a PVC after all so damp should not be an issue, they initially send me the PDI check-list, now this is particularly comical because as previoulsy documented it was clear that no PDI had ever been carried out - hence why it had already been back to Moto-Trek. I finally receive the correct check-list and it is clear that apart from a few electrical tests which anyone with a basic multimeter could do, and the gas test which they contract out anyway, the bulk of the "tests" 32 out of 44 are visual inspections that anyone could do.

Not surprisingly its going to Autogas for a gas check and I will do the rest myself, have already written to Moto-Trek and stated that in view of the fact that my van would have failed more than 45% of the five pages of PDI that should have been carried out, I don't trust them to do the annual service correctly, if they fail to honour any subsequent warranty claim then I'm off to trading standards.

Sad fact as that some manufacturers just don't give a toss - they just want our money.

I like our van a lot, now its working but Moto-Trek will not be taking another penny from me.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Funny isn't it? I can buy a TV and get a five year warranty and Sony don't want me to lug it back to the shop every year to inspect it with the threat that "It will invalidate your warranty if we don't inspect it!"

I think habitation checks are a waste of time and money.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have just reached the point where the annual service is due which is needed to keep the warranty in place, the cost is £420 plus the travelling and a day off work (some of us still do!). I ask for a copy of what is done as "the service" it is a PVC after all so damp should not be an issue, they initially send me the PDI check-list, now this is particularly comical because as previoulsy documented it was clear that no PDI had ever been carried out - hence why it had already been back to Moto-Trek. I finally receive the correct check-list and it is clear that apart from a few electrical tests which anyone with a basic multimeter could do, and the gas test which they contract out anyway, the bulk of the "tests" 32 out of 44 are visual inspections that anyone could do.
Another reason to by German most German manufacturers do not require a habitation service as a condition of warranty, the Hymer dealer I have brought both my vans from doesn't believe it is necessary until five years, if you ask them to do a gas check while doing the damp check they don't charge.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another reason to by German most German manufacturers do not require a habitation service as a condition of warranty, the Hymer dealer I have brought both my vans from doesn't believe it is necessary until five years, if you ask them to do a gas check while doing the damp check they don't charge.
Lenny is the dealer in the UK or Germany?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Belgium, used a UK dealer for damp check and some minor warranty problems this year, weren't interested if the van had had a habitation check, which it hadn't as I do my own.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
@dbnosey
Hi....re your comment about why don't the cc & c&cc put pressure on the manufacturers...
Les's brother went all through this a few years ago when he had major problems with an Avondale caravan. Like you, we couldn't understand why the 2 clubs don't get involved.

We were told 'it's not in their remit':eek::mad:

Very frustrating though - hope you all get sorted quickly to your satisfaction.

The manufacturers advertise in their magazines,,,,nuff said, same problem with commercial t v, thats why we need to keep The BBC. BUSBY.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
, thats why we need to keep The BBC. BUSBY.
Now that I entirely agree with. The best value entertainment in the world at what we pay for the TV licence. Best news, best comedy, best documentaries and best sport.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back