One year in ... am I doing this right ? (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I’ve had my Hymer for one year today and in that time I have covered just under 10,000 miles and used it for about 60 nights.

This is my first motorhome, I’d started causally looking in 2019 but the covid outbreak really pushed me into making the purchase. Luckily I got in just before the prices went crazy so I’m quite happy with what I paid for it.

Really it was meant for European touring, hence the LHD but various restrictions have curtailed that a little, however so far I’ve managed to visit a whole chunk of the UK and a trip to France.

Including …..
  • A good part of the NC500 route area,
  • North Cornwall Coast
  • Parts of the East Yorkshire Coast,
  • Norfolk
  • Pembrokeshire
  • North Wales and Anglesey
  • Northumberland Castle Coastline
  • Lindisfarne
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • Isle of Mull
  • Shropshire Hills
  • Malvern Hills
  • Rutland Water
  • Plus Various trips to family in Cambridgeshire, Yorkshire and Worcestershire.
The Exsis only had 4,000 miles on it when I acquired it and has been very reliable though I seem to have spent a disproportionate amount of time fixing it …

Including:
  • Loss of power to habitation area …. Caused me me knocking the cable out of the back of the main fuse holder.
  • Toilet stopped flushing … I spent hours taking the whole unit apart and it turned out to be slightly corroded contacts on the flush switch - an easy 5 min fix if I’d had tried that first!
  • Non starting engine …. Caused by rodents chewing my fuel pipes. Fix cost about £50 in new pipes and pipe connectors though I could have done it for a £10. Took weeks during lockdown to figure out how to fix but it saved hundreds in recovery and repair costs.
  • Wouldn’t rev above 3000 rpm - fix - turned out a speaker wire I’d installed was fouling the clutch rev limiting switch - cost, a 10p cable tie.
  • Boiler kept dumping water … fix - RTFM! and know where your frost valves located……
  • Noisy and rattly inside when driving …. fix - remove most of the dash surround panels and fit sound deadening material.
  • Head-unit sound quality rubbish … fix - replace speakers, add small inline amplifier and dedicated bass speaker. Sounds easy but took days of work to complete.
However … I know how it all works now and feel pretty confident of making running repairs if need be when I’m on the road.

Hopefully I’ve been a useful member on MHF documenting the various issues I’ve had and I’ve certainly used the great knowledge-base on here for help and advice!

Next 12 month plan … get it into Europe more often!

IMG_1480.jpeg

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You have made the best of your travels and it’s refreshing to hear of someone new to Motorhoming really getting into the sprit of it.
You must have felt disappointed at times with the problems but good on you for having the ability to deal with them. So many people haven’t got the ability to tackle jobs hence the amount that post about minor issues that they require dealt with under warranty.👍

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Wow you havent hung around!!

Cheers James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun