One of Those Afternoons When the Best Laid Plans Turn to Rat Waste ... (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
The plan was to clean Brunhilde in preparation for the Hawick Gathering so that we could drive down to the Borders tomorrow and try the 'Night in the Forestry Commission' Scheme and arrive in Hawick at a sensible time on Thursday.

Elaine had left the drop down bed at half mast after changing the bedding, so I raised it to the usual position, just capable of smacking the head on the ceiling and prepared to raise the Burstner Table that is unwieldy at the best of times. The plastic release catch refused to release its grip on the table column so we were looking like it would be sitting around an Infants School Table for the weekend. Couldn't reach the offending catch because it was too low, so had to remove the Table Top with a stubby philips screwdriver and then remove the Catch Release mechanism. The Cable was just about seized and offered no adjustment so 2 hours or so with Brake Cleaner spray and a variety of spray grease containers on both the inner cable and the cam that holds the lowered table firm and eventually it freed up.

Start the reassembly, but first spray some white grease on the table runners because they had become quite juddery when sliding back and forth. Put all the screws back on the underside of the table then try to reattach the previously jammed plastic Release mechanism. Silly me had got the cable run wrong so had to remove all the screws and start again. The very last of the 8 screws that had gone home smoothly on Reassembly Run 1 baulked at a repeat performance and fell out, hitting me on the forehead and then clattering on the floor. Anglo Saxon words uttered and then crawl out from under the Table to look for the missing screw which really had gone missing this time. 15 minutes of cursing and searching found the offending item in the large hole at the rear of the passenger seat that carries the heating pipes. The screw was, of course, at 11 o clock and I was lying at 4 o clock, so decided to remove the rear plastic grille from the seat, at which point I discovered that the Dealer had cracked the corner when installing the MPPT Controller. So, when I tried to lift the rear grille clear, the bottom corner parted company with the rest of the grille ... About 4 inches x 2 inches broke away! Screw retrieved and table reassembled, but now have to repair the grille! By this time, it was shortly after 9pm, Brunhilde has still to be cleaned, and the prospect of an early start tomorrow and a gentle pootle to the Borders has just died. But I do have the Bernard Cribbins 'Right Said Fred' song running through my head ... :LOL: :rolleyes:

Steve & Elaine [The Quiz Winner]

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Feel for you, been there before.
'I've had better afternoons' springs to mind! One of the drawbacks of the the 5.99 metre Brunhilde is the tightness of space for any work, especially crawling about the floor when the days of being a Double Zero size are but a distant memory/figment of my imagination ... Hey ho!

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back