Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
€60
Looks yummy

Winner. €69.50 not including tip and yes it was yummy (y)

image.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've moved on today and found the Med at Santo Stefano al Mare marina.

image.jpeg

It's a Tarmac aire/sosta right on the beach. It's supposed to be €10 per night but the ticket machine's broken so at the moment it's looking like it's free(y) There are no services but that's no big deal for one night.

image.jpeg

Google suggests there's a bit of a town up the road but it's hot and there's a bar/restaurant/beach place 50 yards away (in the background of the picture) so that's as far as we've managed in terms of exploration. The dogs have had a paddle and we're back in the can having a bit of a siesta before dinner.

Back to France tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've left the beautiful chaos that is Italy and are back in France now.

Last night we ate at the bar/restaurant next to where we were parked up and for the whole time were were there it sounded like the entire kitchen and waiting staff were screaming blue murder at each other. They still managed to feed us some fabulous seafood though.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tonight we're at the aire at Sainte Maxime which is across the bay from St Tropez.

It's a standard aire with water and waste outside the barrier. Camper Contact says it takes 40 vans and it's pretty full. €10 per night including services. It's a gentle 20 minute walk into town and the beach.

image.jpeg

We've had a wander around the town which is very nice, lots of small streets and odd shops. The beach is not dog friendly though.

image.jpeg

We had a few drinks and came back to the van to eat tonight.

They chuffing know how to charge in this place. An Aperol Spritz was €11 :Eeek: In Italy they were nearer €4

I think this would be a great place if you wanted to lie on a beach for a week but that isn't what we like. Without doing that a couple of days would be enough.

Tomorrow we're moving on again to The Camargue for a couple of days.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've left the beautiful chaos that is Italy and are back in France now.

Last night we ate at the bar/restaurant next to where we were parked up and for the whole time were were there it sounded like the entire kitchen and waiting staff were screaming blue murder at each other. They still managed to feed us some fabulous seafood though.

View attachment 117890

View attachment 117891

Tonight we're at the aire at Sainte Maxime which is across the bay from St Tropez.

It's a standard aire with water and waste outside the barrier. Camper Contact says it takes 40 vans and it's pretty full. €10 per night including services. It's a gentle 20 minute walk into town and the beach.

View attachment 117888

We've had a wander around the town which is very nice, lots of small streets and odd shops. The beach is not dog friendly though.

View attachment 117889

We had a few drinks and came back to the van to eat tonight.

They chuffing know how to charge in this place. An Aperol Spritz was €11 :Eeek: In Italy they were nearer €4

I think this would be a great place if you wanted to lie on a beach for a week but that isn't why we like. Without doing that a couple of days would be enough.

Tomorrow we're moving on again to The Camargue for a couple of days.

Italy is great value compared to France
French food more sophisticated, but Italian food is more like Mama makes - just better

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Tonight I have a bottle of Cotes du Rhone from Carrefour that cost less than €3.

The same bottle of wine in a UK supermarket I think would be a tenner and I dread to think how much in a restaurant.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Tonight I have a bottle of Cotes du Rhone from Carrefour that cost less than €3.

The same bottle of wine in a UK supermarket I think would be a tenner and I dread to think how much in a restaurant.
Enjoy.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do you remember
Eddie (Judgemental) hated France and French food - over rated and over priced
He loved Italy and everything about it

I love France and I love French food but it is generally more expensive compared to other countries, especially Italy.

The whole mentality of life is different in Italy. At the campsite at Lake Iseo the "mamma" insisted on speaking German to me. She was Italian and she knew bloody well I was British but she refused to acknowledge me unless I answered her in German. I have no idea why but that's Italy I guess. I love it there too.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I love France and I love French food but it is generally more expensive compared to other countries, especially Italy.

The whole mentality of life is different in Italy. At the campsite at Lake Iseo the "mamma" insisted on speaking German to me. She was Italian and she knew bloody well I was British but she refused to acknowledge me unless I answered her in German. I have no idea why but that's Italy I guess. I love it there too.

Like you, we love French food
A plate of fresh Oysters and a bottle of chilled white wine takes some beating.

We love Italy too
We love the easy, relaxed lifestyle
It's nothing like UK, but somehow very familiar too

Enjoy your trip !

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Haven't had much in the way of Internet for the last few days hence lack of updates. Now we're firmly ensconced at Parc Verger that's sorted (y)

From Sainte Maxime we moved on to Saintes Maries de la Mer in the Camargue.

It's a beautiful little town in a beautiful region, as unspoilt as any seaside town I've come across. We stayed at the aire at Plage Est, one of three official Aires and numerous other unofficial ones in the town. The main part of the aire is tarmac along the sea front but this was chocka so the man that took our money directed us along a sandy track to the end of the beach where we found an overspill part of the aire behind the campsite. This suited us better being grass and gravel with far more space than we would have had on the tarmac at the front.

image.jpeg

We stayed here for a couple of nights and just wandered round. No swimming here because one of the dogs has a tendency to try and drink whatever he swims in which has unfortunate results when it's the sea :sick::sick:

It's an old town with lots of narrow little streets that are great fungi explore.

Food highlights were a selection of local beef on the first night, steak, a kebab and some local beef stew serve with chips and salad on the first night

image.jpeg

And tapas on the second night.

image.jpeg

This was a great little place that we'd love to return to but in the future I think we'd probably try and make it off season

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yesterday we stayed at Saint-Antoine about 40 minutes North of Toulouse

This is a gorgeous tiny little village incredibly well kept. The free aire is basic, behind the village with a tap and a drain. We had it to ourselves.

image.jpeg

It's about a 2 minute walk to the main little street of the village which has a beautiful 11th or 12th century church and the village shop that also acts as the bar, restaurant and post office.

image.jpeg

We had a wander round the village and a couple of drinks at the bar to passage afternoon and found out the restaurant part of the place started at 7 so we hung around and had a couple more drinks.

At just after 7 the lady asked us if we wanted to eat to which we said yes. We thought she would be back with some menus but a few minutes later she presented us with a carafe of water and a half litre of red wine. A little surprising but we thought no more about it and waited for the menus.

The next thing to arrive was a starter of ham and melon salad which although equally unexpected was very nice.

image.jpeg

At this point we started to deduce that maybe there was no menu tonight and everyone was getting the same. This idea was supported by the sight of several more plates of ham and melon salad being delivered.

Main course was a big plate of chicken in a mustard and cream sauce with rice which was, again, very nice. No complaints at all.

image.jpeg

Desert was whipped cream and yoghurt with a red berry compote and was the star of the show

image.jpeg

Three courses that we both thoroughly enjoyed but would probably not have ordered from a menu. Once we figured out what was going on it was actually quite nice not to have to choose.

We can do a guess the bill on this one if anyone wants to.

We've moved on today to Parc Verger and are here until Friday with no plans to do much apart from I might take advantage of the wifi to do a bit of work. I might not though (y):D

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We once went to a hotel restaurant in a village in France near Brantome where we were served a 5 course eat what's put in front of you menu. Alan ate all of it, I didn't like the dessert cos it was lemon something or other :sicker:.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
When I'm doing tomorrow's lunches the guesses and answer are too quick ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back