LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
This might be a stupid question but I’ll ask anyway.

If you “worked” part time on a site do you have to remove yourself ie 28 day rule.

If not could he be a “night watchman” on a site.

Personally think I’d find an acre of land if I had the money.
Bung the Moho on there behind some high hedging.

Any council action and I’m a gypsy 🤷‍♂️

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Havnt read this thread completely, but the thing is, although someone with a bit of land would probably jump at letting him stay as I would but there are just too many rules and regulations that you can't just up and do it, council for a start, rates , waste disposal, tax, insurance, what if he falls over something and sues you?, Water, electric, . Not yet come to the big one, neighbors, how are they going to like it, maybe can't have a van on their drive, but someone else can live in one next door.
Nightmare for all concerned I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you “worked” part time on a site do you have to remove yourself ie 28 day rule.
Hi There Thanks for that, someone else thought of being a night watchman, not sure about the working on a site and then the 28 day rule isn't applicable, If it was possible it's another direction he could look into.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi There Thanks for that, someone else thought of being a night watchman, not sure about the working on a site and then the 28 day rule isn't applicable, If it was possible it's another direction he could look into.

If I had the money I’d still get a bit of land and park there.

But I just like creating havoc for officialdom 😉😂

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Havnt read this thread completely, but the thing is, although someone with a bit of land would probably jump at letting him stay as I would but there are just too many rules and regulations that you can't just up and do it, council for a start, rates , waste disposal, tax, insurance, what if he falls over something and sues you?, Water, electric, . Not yet come to the big one, neighbors, how are they going to like it, maybe can't have a van on their drive, but someone else can live in one next door.
Nightmare for all concerned I'm afraid.
Hi There Yes Chaser there are more questions than answers as the saying goes. Thanks anyway.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
f I had the money I’d still get a bit of land and park there.
I did suggest that to him but I don't think he's got that sort of money, and after doing a bit of a search round here; the prices are ridiculously high. Best Wishes Tony

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi There Yes Chaser there are more questions than answers as the saying goes. Thanks anyway.
Wasn't putting a downer on this, but just a few facts , I wish I could let people on my land especially full timers that have been stuck in this present time, but there are so many things that could be a nightmare.
And not only the landowner but the tenant as well.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I did realize that. (y)
I know you say he wants to stay around where he is, but the cheapest way out would be to get over to France and park up on Aires for free for three months then back here on a site for a month then off again.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I know you say he wants to stay around where he is, but the cheapest way out would be to get over to France and park up on Aires for free for three months then back here on a site for a month then off again.
Hi Chaser Now there's a thought, I myself would jump at that. Not sure if he has been abroad before, and not sure if he'd want to especially with two dogs; one of which he has not long taken over from his son who sadly died, but it's another line of questions I can put to him. Best Wishes Tony

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I see no harm in parking up in quiet ? Lay bys around Southampton /Eastleigh staying for a couple of days and moving on to another and coming back . also by Stonehenge, ( ok out of area ) the bridle way off the A303 is a good spot ( ok shut at moment but usually opened after solstice week ?) to stay long term , I personally stay there regularly. Water available in amesbury , good lay-bys along A36 , between west welbow and white parish turn off , set back off rd .

Attachments

• 54B20959-BAD5-47DF-B34D-9C64ABB5A538.jpeg
    54B20959-BAD5-47DF-B34D-9C64ABB5A538.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 11

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
The caravan and motorhome club offer seasonal pitches at some sites. They can be quite reasonable for a single person.
You do have to move off regularly but the pitch remains yours.
I used to do this at the Exeter site when working.
I had to leave for 3 days every 28. However, i was happy to stay at a pub, or wild camp for 3 nights and then go back.
They used to list their sites, but i think you have to phone them now. I don't know if there are any long term pitches in that area.

I wish him good luck.

Karen

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I think that would be like a red rag to a bull LOL but there is no harm in me mentioning it to him.
Best Wishes Tony
Maybe sweeten the idea as many flats come with parking spaces, so he would not have to be in the flat full time and it could be used to his advantage.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just to add to some of the ideas.

I would have suggested the idea of gettig a spot on a boatyard/repair yard as an unofficial nightwatchman, bu to that I would add the same for farms, including on landed estates where there is no security in some parts.

Same would go for some small airfields/gliding clubs where the clubs often have static caravans on site for members use when in for a few days flying - I have been welcomed there when touring - he would just blend in and the 'nightwatchman' aspect would apply. I don't know what happens at Hamble airfield now BA flying school no longer operaes there, nor at old RNAS Lee-on-Solent. Otherwise he might have to search further afield.

Another category which might welcome a nightwatchman is sports clubs(Cricket/Rugby/Soccer) which are unattended at night and have bars which could be targets for theft. They could make him a member to get round some regulations.

Yards which store boats out of the water sometimes have a corner which they cannot use for a boat, because of access.

Just a few additional ideas.

Geoff

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
There is a company that employs motorhome owners to park on sites due for redevelopment to deter squatters. It used to pay quite well. I will shake up the grey matter and see if I can come up with a name.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
We found out about this club when we stayed at a nice quiet small site near Crowborough.
some of their sites are really tucked away and looks like a lot of the pitches were more permanent.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We found out about this club when we stayed at a nice quiet small site near Crowborough.
some of their sites are really tucked away and looks like a lot of the pitches were more permanent.

A lot of the info is redacted.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi Good People
I've been in touch with some campsites which have seasonal pitches, but they say they are for people who come during the week for a few days or the weekend now and then and not for residency i.e. staying there everyday of the season,
I can't seem to get a reasonable answer why not if they have paid for the season for use of the pitch what difference is it to them if he uses it for the season he's paid for. Is there some sort of law which I haven't heard about; stopping campsites from doing this?
Best Wishes Tony

Yes, the 28day rule, in legal terms you must not stay more than 28 days on any campsite. The cheapest way round it is to commute between 2 or more local sites on a 28 day basis. However in the r eat world if you keep your nose clean many sites will do the old Nelson.

Warning I just tried that and got a code 404 error site unavailable, not only tha I got a warning from my security software too.

What about motorhome "house sitting" I have seen adverts asking for peeps to live on the drive as security?.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, the 28day rule, in legal terms you must not stay more than 28 days on any campsite. The cheapest way round it is to commute between 2 or more local sites on a 28 day basis. However in the r eat world if you keep your nose clean many sites will do the old Nelson.

Warning I just tried that and got a code 404 error site unavailable, not only tha I got a warning from my security software too.
I got on it but it seems to be some sort of Facebook thing so best avoided.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back