One for You Knowledgeable Funsters... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Here is a mystery (to me and to the tyre lads.)

One (or more) of you Funster will know...

Bought four new tyres eight months ago. These went onto the rear wheels (twin rear wheeled)

Problem yesterday so took the Wagon back to the tyre people.

One side was ok, the other side had a worn tyre and this one...

Given that both tyres revolve around together how did one sustain this wear when its "neighbour" didn't... (see photos of the strangely worn one)

Thanks in advance...

JJ

Just to clarify... the photos are of the same tyre...

Attachments

• Worn tyre 1.jpg
    Worn tyre 1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Worn tyre 2.jpg
    Worn tyre 2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 127

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
wow jj you were lucky, thats down to the core material they mold the rubber to, You sure someone hasnt done some tyre swopping when the wagon has been parked up.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
For a start its in one place on the tyre so there was a balance problem...

Can you send me the photo's in a bigger size so that i can see the damage better?

It looks like it has also worn on the inner/outer edge? which would imply a camber problem as it shouldn't be a toe in/toe out issue although depending on how the axle is mounted of course it could be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
wow .. that is bad .. what did the tyre guys say ?

perhaps due to a combination of under inflation and brake binding .. ?

or you were practising doughnuts ..:roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JJ what mileage have you done to wear the tyre / s so much ?
only thing I can think of is one of the twin tyres was / is under inflated - only wearing the photo one- plus you have made a big emergency stop :Eeek: or the break has stuck on then released itself when the other tyre has touched the ground if you get my drift :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
wow .. that is bad .. what did the tyre guys say ?

perhaps due to a combination of under inflation and brake binding .. ?

or you were practising doughnuts ..:roflmto:
Snap :thumb: it took me longer to type :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks everyone... I think Terry and Jim might have cracked it... I guess if the outer tyre was under inflated and the hand brake was sticking this could happen... (the worn one was on the inside...)

I can say definitely that there have been no emergency stops since the tyres were fitted...

Luckily John (of Champers) will be able to sort it (I'm sure) as the Wagon is booked into his garage tomorrow...

JJ

(Acting strange... I am afraid I only take low res photos so I can post them easily...)

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
OK ....under inflation would cause both edges of the tyre to wear and a sticking brake would cause both tyres to wear.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was thinking that if the outer tyre was under inflated then the inner tyre would be taking more of the "strain" and if the h/brake was sticking in one place on the rotation then the inner tyre might wear like this... how else could there be this wear on only one of the tyres... as I said... a mystery to me (and the tyre people who just said "something sticking mate"...)

Just thought that maybe the tyre was faulty from the off???

JJ

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just thought that maybe the tyre was faulty from the off???

JJ

I would rule out a faulty tyre JJ,

yes, you do get them but they will either blow out, de tread or delaminate .

I still think it's brakes and wrong or unequal tyre inflation

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I assume that these are not the drive wheels :thumb: ie they are getting pulled rather than pushing.One tyre is half inflated while the other is fully up,taking all the weight.The brake sticks/ gets left on but the other side is in effective/ possibly on a cambered road hence the wear only in one place on the tyre and not all way across :thumb: After that either the brake un-sticks or hand brake is released :Doh: LOOKING at pics, Still like to know what mileage was done to wear out tyres that quickly :ROFLMAO:
terry
Edit - Jim is thinking along the same lines

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Terry, these are the drive wheels... (Iveco 35-12 Turbo Daily)

Don't know exact mileage (Portugal and back and to several shows and up and down to the Stadium of the Enlightened Ones a few times) but the pair of tyres (fitted at the same time) on the other side have not worn nearly as much...)

JJ

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JJ that blows my handbrake idea :ROFLMAO: only leaves a faulty tyre ::bigsmile:
Are both tyres the same size
terry
sure you have not been doing H/B turns

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Half house brick stuck in between back wheels ? :Eeek:
terry

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Once John has fixed it and inflated them with good Welsh air they should be fine JJ :thumb:

Phil

dave4samson

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
brighstone isle of wight
Funster No
MH
rv a class
Exp
hi there i personally think its looks tyre casing distortion probably caused by a cut in the tread allowing ingress of moisture to cause ply deformation , i know you cant look for cuts as tread gone but possible small hole inside so no claim from tyre dealer !! cheers dave

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi JJ,if one of the casings was distorted from new...which hapens,it will wear both tyres on the same hub.
Only needs a small bulge to wear the tyres away in no time,especialy tearing up from Porkyland.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Now I think it's JJ doing handbrake turns.

Anyone seen him flashing around on his bikes with the odd skid here and there.

Seriously the JJ your real lucky no disasters happened with them mate.

We wouldn't wanna lose you mate :hug:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
JJ I have seen this type of wear before - 2 things you need to get checked before you put new tyres on the road.. The vehicle you have is a dually or dual rear wheel - Bearings - worn bearings will create a bad wear pattern but I would have thought you would have heard them rumbling unless you have the radio on all the time - the other consideration is the stub axle being bent out of line - this can easily happen if you hit a kerb hard even going hard into a pothole can be the cause and there are no obvious outward signs and the 'bend' may only be a few thousandths of an inch - a good engineer would be able to check these for you. One thing I can guarentee is that if you dont sort the problem the new tyres will go the same way - the tyre wear is the result of the problem not the cause.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I would probably agree with landylover for the most part. It would pay to check the wheel on a balancing machine, as Iveco wheels are notorious for for going oval or buckling. A faulty shock will cause 'bounce' and a tired leaf can cause a vehicle to lean. Marry that with road camber and you have a good contender. You could also consider underinflation on a tyre with a flat spot.

I would check suspension, check the stub axle and check the wheels are true - if you look at commercial I vecos, you will often see they have half a ton of lead stuck to the side in a vain attempt to avoid replacing the wheel!

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is 2.25am.

I am in a layby pretty close to my Chief Mechanic's headquarters...

The Wagon purred smoothly along on it's new Firestones...

No vibration or rumble from the bearings.

No bumps or grinds from a brick stuck between the wheels.

no squeaks or tugs from a sticky handbrake.

But the Main Man (John) will be shown all your helpful posts. We are stripping down the rear hubs to get at the handbrake shoes (disc brakes all around on the footbrake) and will look at the bearings etc then...

Now it is 2.27am and I wish to report that the rain which stopped for 11 minutes has now just started again...

JJ

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JJ, When you do the strip can you confirm that it is a 73 mm socket to get to the drums ?
We did ours when I first got it but cannot remember if it was 73 mm or larger 78 mm :ROFLMAO: I borrowed one but the garage has gone bust so I may end up buying one ::bigsmile:
I remember the dealer wanted £160 per side for the shoes :Eeek::Eeek: but I got both from the local spares shop for £40 :thumb: I need to get to mine again to clean them out as we adjusted them for the MOT ( passed :thumb: ) but the tester said they would need doing for next year.
Reading all the posts again I would try putting the wheels on a balancing machine to see if the wheels are buckled / oval -- if the tyre at the side of the worn one is OK I think it must come down to a bad tyre :cry:
terry

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If the damaged tyre has been running flat and spinning on the hub then the tyre would be scraping along the road while the hub goes around. I have seen this type of damage before.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I own a garage and mot test station where we also sell and fit tyres.
Without physically seeing the tyre it appears that a separation of the tread has occured which then causes a bulge,this bulge then has accelerated wear in that area and very quickly wears down to the underlying cords.
This can occured over several areas of the tyre and can lead to thinking you may have all sorts of other problems.
I have seen this many times mainly with some budget tyres but also with top makes.
Hope this helps.
Tony

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If the damaged tyre has been running flat and spinning on the hub then the tyre would be scraping along the road while the hub goes around. I have seen this type of damage before.

I totaly agree with Buttons on this,the inner tyre had blown and was just flapping around on the rim loose on the inside so could not be seen..... spinning on the rim till it was dragging the tyre and not spinning in the end and scubbed off on the botton of the tyre

Mel:thumb:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi JJ, When you do the strip can you confirm that it is a 73 mm socket to get to the drums ?
We did ours when I first got it but cannot remember if it was 73 mm or larger 78 mm :ROFLMAO: I borrowed one but the garage has gone bust so I may end up buying one ::bigsmile:
I remember the dealer wanted £160 per side for the shoes :Eeek::Eeek: but I got both from the local spares shop for £40 :thumb: I need to get to mine again to clean them out as we adjusted them for the MOT ( passed :thumb: ) but the tester said they would need doing for next year.
Reading all the posts again I would try putting the wheels on a balancing machine to see if the wheels are buckled / oval -- if the tyre at the side of the worn one is OK I think it must come down to a bad tyre :cry:
terry

last time I did the job I bought a socket from Iveco. Thank goodness I have forgotten how much it was! Will tell you the size when I get it out of the toolbox... Can't now as it is pouring with rain outside!

JJ

ps... I could lend it to you Terry...

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I totaly agree with Buttons on this,the inner tyre had blown and was just flapping around on the rim loose on the inside so could not be seen..... spinning on the rim till it was dragging the tyre and not spinning in the end and scubbed off on the botton of the tyre

Mel:thumb:

Me too.....:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back