One for the sparkeys out there (1 Viewer)

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
When my motorhome is plugged into mains everything is ok ecept when you switch the water heater on then the house electrics blow. Have checked fuses in van all ok only the house electrics affected. ????

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I'd think he's referring to the cooker supply circuit, which probably has a 40A MCB on it, rather than 32A like a standard ring. OK, it's a radial rather than a ring, but people tend to refer to any mains circuit as a ring, even if technically it's not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

silverbolt

Free Member
Jan 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Relay van conversion
It would surprise me if they run 240v for high power appliances.

We run some high power stuff on site and it’s all 110v

15A at 120v is only 1800 watts and so most houses in the US are supplied with 240v. Each half of the consumer unit is 120v to run lights and sockets. large AC units, electric cookers, and clothes dryers etc use dedicated 240v supply taken across both 120v legs to get the 240v for the high power appliance.

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
In the UK we have 240 for domestic appliances, the exception is industrial/commercial where they generally use 415 volts

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
When my motorhome is plugged into mains everything is ok ecept when you switch the water heater on then the house electrics blow. Have checked fuses in van all ok only the house electrics affected. ????
I think you want the answer to the question why do the house electrics trip, and nothing in the motorhome trips, when the fault is clearly in the motorhome?

There are basically two kinds of electrical fault: excessive current or earth leakage.

Miniature circuit breakers (MCBs) protect against excessive current, to avoid heating up the wires and causing a fire. In older installations, fuse wire did this job. If the current is excessive, the fuse wire melts and disconnects the cable. An MCB does the same thing - excessive current makes it trip. In this case, I think there is no excessive current, so none of the MCBs will trip.

Residual Current Devices (RCDs) protect against earth leakage. The RCD compares the outgoing current along the live wire with the returning current along the neutral wire. Normally, outgoing and incoming current are exactly equal. If there is leakage, and the difference is more than 30mA, then the RCD will trip.

RCDs are comparatively modern, compared with fuses and MCBs, so many people are not very clear what they do. When you get an electric shock, electricity travels through you to earth. The RCD detects this earth leakage, and trips before it causes harm. RCDs protect against electric shock

So, back to the heater element fault. It looks like the fault is failed insulation, causing earth leakage. Not a short circuit causing excessive current. So the MCBs won't trip, but the RCD will trip.

Next question, why does the house RCD trip, but the MH RCD doesn't trip? That's what I said in post #52:
RCDs are set to trip at 30 milliamps. Two RCDs on the same circuit will trip at slightly different currents. Each RCD will be slightly different, so maybe one trips at 29.8mA and another trips at 30.2mA. It's just the luck of the draw that the house RCD trips before the motorhome RCD. If you hooked up to a different house you might find the motorhome RCD trips first.

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
I think he meant the cooker socket
However that will be fed from the same main circuit ELCB even if from a split load board via the 13amp socket outlet on the front face.

QED no difference to any 3 pin wall socket outlet.

Will admit in days gone by some cooker supplies were via a 100Ma ELCB due to poor heater element construction and caused nuisance tripping on 30Ma ELCBs

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
However that will be fed from the same main circuit ELCB even if from a split load board via the 13amp socket outlet on the front face.

QED no difference to any 3 pin wall socket outlet.

Will admit in days gone by some cooker supplies were via a 100Ma ELCB due to poor heater element construction and caused nuisance tripping on 30Ma ELCBs
cooker sockets are typically 45amps with 6.0mm cable to a dedicated 40 amp MCB and the ELCB will be 64+amps so plenty of welly available. The ELCB will still probably be 30mA so plenty safe enough to mess around a bit to find non earth faults

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
cooker sockets are typically 45amps with 6.0mm cable to a dedicated 40 amp MCB and the ELCB will be 64+amps so plenty of welly available. The ELCB will still probably be 30mA so plenty safe enough to mess around a bit to find non earth faults
Agreed but if op has an earth leakage problem make no difference if cable supply to the earth fault is 0.5mm or 16mm.

If ELCB is 30Ma it trips a circa 30Ma current leakage to earth.

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I’m too old now to even be bothered but there is a subtle difference between a E.L.C.B and a R.C.D, they both more or less perform the same function

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
I’m too old now to even be bothered but there is a subtle difference between a E.L.C.B and a R.C.D, they both more or less perform the same function
Yes, sorry my fault.
Technically.
ELCB monitors the earth potential and should trip at =< 40v max

RCD monitors the current balance between live and neutral and assumes the difference is leakage to earth and trips circa rcd Ma setting.

Tend to use the terms unreservedly to mean in today's terms the same thing.

However installations need only comply with regs current at the time of install. THAT may not be best practice these days

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Agreed but if op has an earth leakage problem make no difference if cable supply to the earth fault is 0.5mm or 16mm.

If ELCB is 30Ma it trips a circa 30Ma current leakage to earth.
I think we're near to violently agreeing :rofl: :rofl:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I do think a basic explanation of what the heating element is, and why it fails short to earth on fault usually.

The actual heating part is a wire designed to take advantage of getting hot with a known current passing through it. This bare wire element is suspended inside a metal casing that is connected to earth for safety. If the wire burns out, the end can drop and short to the casing

Replacing the element is simple enough with the truma heater on the bench, but can be all but impossible in some vans due to furniture built round it. An auto electrician would not be interested in taking on that challenge

Upvote 1

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
I think you want the answer to the question why do the house electrics trip, and nothing in the motorhome trips, when the fault is clearly in the motorhome?

There are basically two kinds of electrical fault: excessive current or earth leakage.

Miniature circuit breakers (MCBs) protect against excessive current, to avoid heating up the wires and causing a fire. In older installations, fuse wire did this job. If the current is excessive, the fuse wire melts and disconnects the cable. An MCB does the same thing - excessive current makes it trip. In this case, I think there is no excessive current, so none of the MCBs will trip.

Residual Current Devices (RCDs) protect against earth leakage. The RCD compares the outgoing current along the live wire with the returning current along the neutral wire. Normally, outgoing and incoming current are exactly equal. If there is leakage, and the difference is more than 30mA, then the RCD will trip.

RCDs are comparatively modern, compared with fuses and MCBs, so many people are not very clear what they do. When you get an electric shock, electricity travels through you to earth. The RCD detects this earth leakage, and trips before it causes harm. RCDs protect against electric shock

So, back to the heater element fault. It looks like the fault is failed insulation, causing earth leakage. Not a short circuit causing excessive current. So the MCBs won't trip, but the RCD will trip.

Next question, why does the house RCD trip, but the MH RCD doesn't trip? That's what I said in post #52:
Excellent explanation & I couldn't have explained it any better in layman's terms for people who know nothing about electrics.
I would also like to know why any new houses or older ones that have a consumer unit replaced aren't fitted with a wholly RCBO one with just a main switch rather than either one fitted with a single RCD as in the original posters case or a split board with two RCD's, as this would only trip the once circuit whether it be over current or an earth leakage fault.
I changed by consumer unit for an RCBO one about 5 years ago & last year also fitted one, complete with a surge protector, in an outbuilding that we've converted into holiday accommodation

Cheers Clive

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Excellent explanation & I couldn't have explained it any better in layman's terms for people who know nothing about electrics.
I would also like to know why any new houses or older ones that have a consumer unit replaced aren't fitted with a wholly RCBO one with just a main switch rather than either one fitted with a single RCD as in the original posters case or a split board with two RCD's, as this would only trip the once circuit whether it be over current or an earth leakage fault.
I changed by consumer unit for an RCBO one about 5 years ago & last year also fitted one, complete with a surge protector, in an outbuilding that we've converted into holiday accommodation

Cheers Clive
Think main reason for not fitting RCBOs is cost.

Minimum should be split load board and and at least one RCBO fitted per circuit for smoke detectors and/or other safety circuits.

Upvote 0

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
Think main reason for not fitting RCBOs is cost.

Minimum should be split load board and and at least one RCBO fitted per circuit for smoke detectors and/or other safety circuits.
Hi Randall, In years gone by RCBO's were indeed very expensive & I can remember paying around £40.00 for them but the last ones I bought last year to fit into the consumer unit with the surge protector were only £10.70 incl. VAT so yes they are still more expensive but In my opinion well worth fitting. Obviously because they are longer than a MCB you need a consumer unit designed for them.
I'll post the details if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Clive

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Hi Randall, In years gone by RCBO's were indeed very expensive & I can remember paying around £40.00 for them but the last ones I bought last year to fit into the consumer unit with the surge protector were only £10.70 incl. VAT so yes they are still more expensive but In my opinion well worth fitting. Obviously because they are longer than a MCB you need a consumer unit designed for them.
I'll post the details if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Clive
Hi Clive.

I'm well out of touch and yes when I rewired our place in 2016 RCBO were a significant cost compared to a split load board (12way & populated) from screwfix at circa £70-120.

Hence comment on split load board, but can I ask where your buying RCBOs at that price (don't have access to trade buys these days) so the likes of screwfix are on average £30 which makes a 12 way board a bit eye watering in comparison.

the domestic end of the supply chain isn't my forte, very much more at home with power station control and electrical systems up to 400Kv.

Hands up anyone who has been in an enclosed 400Kv substation with a fluorescent tube in their hand? Especially post Star wars.

Upvote 0

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
Hi Clive.

I'm well out of touch and yes when I rewired our place in 2016 RCBO were a significant cost compared to a split load board (12way & populated) from screwfix at circa £70-120.

Hence comment on split load board, but can I ask where your buying RCBOs at that price (don't have access to trade buys these days) so the likes of screwfix are on average £30 which makes a 12 way board a bit eye watering in comparison.

the domestic end of the supply chain isn't my forte, very much more at home with power station control and electrical systems up to 400Kv.

Hands up anyone who has been in an enclosed 400Kv substation with a fluorescent tube in their hand? Especially post Star wars.
Hi Randall,
The consumer units & various breakers are made by a relatively new company CP Electric & are sold under the Fusebox name. The owner of the company along with other family members used to have a company called Control Gear Direct that made the Denman Curve all RCBO consumer units that I fitted in my house over 5 years ago. At the time there were virtually no other companies making consumer units specifically to take RCBO'S which are much taller so although they could be fitted into existing units they where a painto wire as there wasn't enough space!
CGD was sold to Lewden & so he started CP Electric in 2017 & started selling his Fusebox range.
Last year I needed an 18th edition consumer unit for an outbuilding we'd converted. I decided to fit one with a surge protection device as that was the latest regulations & having looked around discovered that an SPD module on its own was around £100.00. Looking into it further I discovered that a Fusebox RCBO consumer unit was available which included a main switch & a SPD so ended up buying one along with 13 off of their RCBO'S & this came to £202.00 including VAT i.e cheaper than a split board from the likes of Screwfix fitted with a SPD!
Fusebox products only seem to be available from a few wholesalers & I bought mine online from expertelectrical.co.uk
I hope this is of some use to you & other funsters that might need a new consumer unit to the latest specifications.

Cheers

Clive

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Hi Randall,
The consumer units & various breakers are made by a relatively new company CP Electric & are sold under the Fusebox name. The owner of the company along with other family members used to have a company called Control Gear Direct that made the Denman Curve all RCBO consumer units that I fitted in my house over 5 years ago. At the time there were virtually no other companies making consumer units specifically to take RCBO'S which are much taller so although they could be fitted into existing units they where a painto wire as there wasn't enough space!
CGD was sold to Lewden & so he started CP Electric in 2017 & started selling his Fusebox range.
Last year I needed an 18th edition consumer unit for an outbuilding we'd converted. I decided to fit one with a surge protection device as that was the latest regulations & having looked around discovered that an SPD module on its own was around £100.00. Looking into it further I discovered that a Fusebox RCBO consumer unit was available which included a main switch & a SPD so ended up buying one along with 13 off of their RCBO'S & this came to £202.00 including VAT i.e cheaper than a split board from the likes of Screwfix fitted with a SPD!
Fusebox products only seem to be available from a few wholesalers & I bought mine online from expertelectrical.co.uk
I hope this is of some use to you & other funsters that might need a new consumer unit to the latest specifications.

Cheers

Clive
Cheers Clive,

good info.

Stay safe.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Randall,

Cheers

Clive
Could I ask a favour?
can you tell me the spec of the SPD and if is re setable? I’m in need of 2 in cascade to protect a fixed solar installation.
Dehn are the best but, eye watering pricey. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
Could I ask a favour?
can you tell me the spec of the SPD and if is re setable? I’m in need of 2 in cascade to protect a fixed solar installation.
Dehn are the best but, eye watering pricey. Thank you.
Hi Raul,
Unfortunately these modules aren't resettable. I've no idea how much the Dehn units cost but the Fusebox ones are available for £33.00 incl. VAT
I guess it really comes down to how likely the solar installation is likely to be hit by a surge & whether you can easily swap out the module if it needs replacing.
Attached is a spec sheet on the Fusebox one.

Cheers

Clive

PS As you seem to an expert on solar kit I'll PM you in a while to discuss fitting a system to my motorhome if you don't mind.

Attachments

• fusebox_technical_data_sheet_spd2pt2.pdf
    211 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you for the info, happy to help if I can.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back