One bad apple (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Over the years our opinions have changed of dealers and it has been down to individuals, not the companies. At one one time we wouldn't dream of buying a car from Evans Halshaw due to the patronising manner of the salesman we experienced, though we have just bought our latest car from there with a fantastic deal and very pleasant sales experience. When we had Minis we were really against Stratstone because the salesman we dealt with was a twit who treated us like idiots, so we travelled to Lincolnshire to get a better experience and bought there. When we changed to another Mini it was just the opposite and Stratstone were brilliant. The bike dealer I used in Lincolnshire (three bikes over the years) used to be a great place to deal with but the sales guy changed and I don't go in there anymore, just interested in getting you to sign.
We have an electrical, white goods store within walking distance of home but are reluctant to use it due the disinterested manner we experience in there, though that's the owner so you can judge the company.
Our Motorhome dealer has been a right pain to deal with, in the service department for the last couple of years with a lack of knowledge, not keeping us informed and leaving us feeling not listened to. We couldn't go elsewhere due to water ingress warranty and distance, we only go for warranty issues, we get it serviced elsewhere. The guy we dealt with has now left and all change, pleasant, interested and knowledgeable service.
The point I'm making is you can't judge a company by the individual you deal with, though I am sometimes left shocked by how large companies can allow their reputation to be affected by some of the poor attitudes of the staff up front, so maybe you can judge the company on its staff supervision and development.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
At the Auto Sport show years ago I was looking at some very nice bespoke oil coolers & oil cores, I ask if they could supply me with cores to my measurements, The reply was of course we can Sir But they are aluminium so wont be any good to you as you cant weld aluminium can you Sir, I just walked away, been getting them elsewhere for years. I had to phone the company 3 week's ago as I had been let down, the first thing I did was ask if this chap was still there (I'd remembered his name all these years:rolleyes:) he is there no longer, but just because of his arrogance I walked & they lost sales.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
A long time ago we both walked into the local Leyland dealer wanting to buy a Metro????????????? They steadfastly ignored us and fell over another couple who were 'Just Looking thanks' We walked out kept the old car instead and bought a K100 BMW bike instead , which Wifey then proceeded to thrash for a time as she had taken a shine to it. We still have the Bike but I somehow feel the Metro would have expired a short time after getting it.
AH WELL! we were younger then and not so cynical .

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I had something similar about 2 years ago. We have a Mazda dealership opposite with a lot of used & new cars on the forecourt. One morning I jumped in the car to go into town & thought it was making a lot of noise, assumed silencer had blown. Took it to local tyre & exhaust place, they put it up on the ramp & started laughing! Some little scroat had had my Cat away during the night, and apparently the local fresh fish wholesaler had his fleet of vans done as well, same problem. Anyway, went across to the dealership to give them a heads up & was studiously ignored. Too busy talking amongst themselves; just as well I wasn't looking for a new car. Gave up waiting & walked out, lo and behold two nights later, they were done! Karma :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All sounds very much like Brownhills of old....
Inattentive salesmen and if they did deem to speak to you they talked bo//ocks.

I once went there to view a shortlist of vans only to be asked where I got the list contents as they didn't have any of them in stock.

My reply before walking away......
your website, this morning.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
10 years ago, I thought I would try and support a local butchers instead of the big Supermarkets.
I walked in and saw a lovely well matured Beef Rib Joint, having commented on how nice it was, the butcher said would you like it, I said yea go on then, he then proceeded to lift it onto his weighing scales and said that will be £38 sir, I had to swallow hard, felt I couldn't say no, as he had gone to the trouble of weighing it.
But Then rather than pop it into a bag, he then proceeded to cut off the large blade bone, which I had been charged for, then he placed the much lighter newly trimmed joint in a bag and took my money!.
I felt totally ripped off as I walked back to the car, walked out, never went back, not even for a sausage, too much pride.
On returning home, TinaL said I should have told him to either re-weigh it, or tell him to stuff it where the sun dont shine.
But she has always been better than me at rolling her sleeves up for a fight.:)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
more than once i have walked into a car dealership in work clothes and asked to see a top of their range vehicle only to be dismissed by a young salesman in a cheap suit. ignored this idiot in training and then spoken to an older senior salesman and signed and paid the deposit within the hour on a £30k car

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I suspect that we have all, at one time or another, had this experience. Similar to ours recently in a Vauxhall dealership (yes, Evans Halshaw!), SWMBO`s car is due change. Walked round, looked at a few cars, 6 unoccupied sales persons, not one approached or asked if they could be of assistance. I kept trying to get eye contact, which was studiously ignored!.

How these companies, do not seize to exist?. OK, I dont like "pushy" sales staff, but that was ridiculous!.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
more than once i have walked into a car dealership in work clothes and asked to see a top of their range vehicle only to be dismissed by a young salesman in a cheap suit. ignored this idiot in training and then spoken to an older senior salesman and signed and paid the deposit within the hour on a £30k car

Ive experienced same at most places in the past ,and not just the young ones, who are going by appearances , the difference in the way you are treated if you pull up in a tow truck or van wearing overalls , or pull up in a Rolls , where they almost run to get to you first.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Lately the Police seem to be developing a worsening attitude towards members of the public. I accept that the thin blue line is stretched to breaking point nowadays, but there is no excuse for poor manners. When I was younger and wore a business suit they addressed me as "sir".
Somewhat older and more casually dressed - there's no more "excuse me sir", just "hey buddy".

Back on topic - I too have walked away from various dealer showrooms with chequebook firmly shut, after being ignored (almost as bad as being pressured and yes - I can spot your pushy sales technique a mile off), or patronised as though I have learning difficulties. Faux chumminess also gets my back up.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I used to work for a Chartered Accountants... one of our clients was a multi-millionaire (all his own hard work) and to look at you would think he was a tramp. A really lovely man :) I used to recon he could have had a Saville Row suit made on Monday and by Tuesday it would look like a charity shop reject! I always enjoyed working on his accounts as he was such a joy to talk to.

Anyway one of his ventures was a club and one of the customers asked that the smelly man at the bar was ejected......... (my man did smell - of a very nice aftershave)

Never judge people by how they look when they are not working.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Ive experienced same at most places in the past ,and not just the young ones, who are going by appearances , the difference in the way you are treated if you pull up in a tow truck or van wearing overalls , or pull up in a Rolls , where they almost run to get to you first.
A friend and his mate went into the local Ford Dealer to buys a New P100 pickup, they were wearing overalls and the salesman said, @what do you want?' they said we would like to see over the P100 there, He replied It is too dear for people like you, they turned and left taking the Bag of cash for it, with them. I personally would have show him it then walked out.
You cannot tell the book by the cover, they were in overalls because they wanted the pick up to work with not some 'unable to pay' wanting a test drive.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Similar experience to Puddleduck. I was having a day cold calling on farmers during harvest. Called in on what in those days was a very large farm. Saw a chap covered in muck and dust sat having his lunch in the grain drier so went in to ask him if he new where Mr ------ was and at the same time I commented on how good his lunch looked. O thanks he said, you are talking to him. Did lots of business with him after that. I didn't no it at the time but he had a reputation for passing him self off as one of the farm workers and if you didn't have the grace to talk to them you sure as hell wouldn't get to talk to hlm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back