Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I'm all problems today :RollEyes:.
I have had my Winnie for almost 12 mths. so I think its time to sort out its problems before winter returns and its to cold to work on her.

It has a Onan LPG genset fitted, it turns over fine, but just won't start, I have topped up the oil, and the battery is good, I have had the spark plug out a while ago and it appeared to be wet, which i thought was odd, I thought gas would evaporate ??

I know nothing of this type of unit so any help at all would be appreciated.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Do you get a good flame on the hob? Run one of the rings for a minute and make sure you've got gas (the LPG kind) will confirm wheher the tap is on and there is gas in the tank. The geni and house regulator feed from the same point on the tank, not that it's make much difference but if there is gas in the tank the geni should go.

Now, when I made a pigs ear of starting ours a while ago I had a very strung gas smell so if after a good crank you don't have gas smell I'd tend to think you've found you fundamental problem, ie no gas. I don't beieve our system has a valve, as per scotjimlands sujestion but it can't be ruled out, so one to look for? A second, and daft is, I think there is a manual tap on the inbound feed to our geni, worth a look as it will be obvious, follow the pipe where it enters ti geni locker and check it's on. There is a fuse and circuit breaker on ours, yours, have you checked them?

Finally, get a torch and mirror and have a good pock about for disconnected wiring. Ours had had a resident prior to us buying and whilst the geni ran fine and did all it was supposed to do I found a chewed through wire, red on vanished down the back, boy was that a job to fix (permanent bodge):Doh:

Just thoughts, good luck!:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Defo no smell of gas, It has a fuse on the front of genie, that is ok, it does (i think) have an LPG solenoid, need to check this properly. No valve in the line, I checked for that while looking for the solenoid.
I'm away in it from the 18th for a few days, and then its mot time, I will get back on the case after that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I had my LPG tank refilled, so I thought I would have a try of the genie, no joy :Sad:
Any how I had a bit of time on my hands yesterday so thought i would try to get to the solenoid. This is in the most impossible place. I managed to get the round piece off, I was left with a short pole type thing:Blush: with a thread at the top, this I assume was the thread that the nut went on the hold the round piece in place? Anyway, It is seemed to turn inside of the pole piece, so I tried to unscrew it, i couldn't as it doesn't come out, it just turns!! I then feel that there is a nut at the bottom of the pole bit, but I can not get a spanner in there. After and hour of trying I give up.
I have put it all back together, so i thought i would give it a last try. Well it still won't start, although, this time when i hit the button it almost jumps into life, but just doesn't quite catch, also I can now smell LPG.
Any ideas?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have put it all back together, so i thought i would give it a last try. Well it still won't start, although, this time when i hit the button it almost jumps into life, but just doesn't quite catch, also I can now smell LPG.
Any ideas?

So, we have progress, it's trying to start.. :thumb: you smell gas, so it looks like a weak spark .. or the LPG/Air mixture is too lean..

persevere ... mine was a pig to start when I got it until I gave it a talking to :swear::swear: .. :roflmto:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
What he said!

Check the plug for good measure then persiveer. The last time I tried ours I made a pigs ear frankley and it took a while, well that and I think the heat. Apparently you need to keep the start button pressed until the geni is properly starting, if you release as soon as it sounds like it catched it dies, at a guess waiting for it to 'sence' it's startred, mind you there is a fine line between starting and the starter disengaging and then catching on the ring gear (for want of a better discription):thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Thank you all for the help with the onan gennie, I took all the advise, added a bit of spanner time, gave it a good talking to and............It Works!!::bigsmile:

Damn thing fired up like a good un, did a test today to see what worked, and all is good in the land of Winnie the Brave.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thank you all for the help with the onan gennie, I took all the advise, added a bit of spanner time, gave it a good talking to and............It Works!!::bigsmile:

Damn thing fired up like a good un, did a test today to see what worked, and all is good in the land of Winnie the Brave.

well done.. and the talking worked.. :thumb:

Upvote 0

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Just read all the posts, and it is amazing the wealth of now how there is out there, it just goes to show how valuable that £12 quid is :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
If you consider what it could have cost me to get it fixed, its an absolute bargain.:thumb:

Now where was I with those other problems???

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back