onan genny 120v to 240v conversion? (1 Viewer)

doodle

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
A class & Bus conversion
Hi All,

Anyone know how to reconfiguire the onan genny to supply 240v? My daybreak has an onan fitted. It states its 120v but runs 240v appliances.

Not sure if there is some magic box or its been rewired internally.

I bought a spare one to squeeze under my Mercedes. Prob is not sure how to or if its possible to get 240v from this unit. Someone suggested its just a matter of taking the tappings from the 'generator' and reconfiguring them to supply 240v (at slightly reduced KV output) instead of the original 120v as stated on the unit.

Bit hesitant to start stripping my working one to find out so if someone knows what they're on about and can 'illuminate' or 'supply' me with any info I'd be grateful.

I've got a pal who's a sparks but don't want to ask him first incase he demands beer tokens for info!!!

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers :winky:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Somewhere in the Rv will be a transformer that ups the 110v to 240v (a lot of the kit installed on the RV will be 110v anyway). There is also the problem of the hertz output as USA systems use 60htz while we use 50 htz. There is system out there that changes both the voltage and the htz to UK spec but its expensive.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
ye beet me was looking into this the other day and a step up transformer norm does it but like has been said expensive id say

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Cant realy answer your question but my Onan emerald which is now 21 years old kicks out 220-240 volts.I dont have any 110 in the RV and no step transformer.
The RV was imported new into the UK so dont know if that makes any difference.
Mine looks exactly the same as the 110 ones so it must be possible to convert them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back