Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
French naval helicopter conducting exercises in the channel.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Le Treport funicular is one of our favourite aires. Nice seafood restaurants around the harbour but Alan (OH) would prefer a pizza :LOL:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Sadly France has had the wettest few months in 61 years.... Places have been flooded for the first time in history ... :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Parked up at Cite Europe for the night with wine, beer and presents bought and the weather at home looks good for next week. On the way here today we stopped at a motorway petrol station for a French stick and 2 chocolatines and some coffee. For the first time ever we saw some would be, hopeful, potential immigrants hiding in the bushes trying to spot a likely ride. All the British were tipping each other off and pointing them out hiding in the long grass so do be aware that there are still some about looking for a soft ride to get over to England. The service station was the Total one between Boulogne and the Tunnel about 18kms out from memory.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Many thanks for a fascinating thread.
Glad you enjoyed it. Apart from a few replies and a few dedicated followers you never really know how many get to see the thread or are interested in the content so it's nice to have a post like yours which helps make it feel it was worth the effort.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
I've enjoyed it too. I often follow others trips to get ideas, so thank you for making the effort.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Reflections now that we are home on the last 3 weeks are as follows:-

We went 3 weeks earlier than usual and that certainly gave us poorer weather.

Macron is taxing more and that is very evident in fuel prices such that they are owllike to prices at home

Every country is different and it would not be fun if they were all the same but France can be expensive. Eating out can be dear and anything for kids in the shops is expensive.

Wine can be bought to suit all pockets and tastes.

Aires can be cheap or free but very reasonable indeed compared to sites at home.

It is very noticeable that public services are being well maintained with pristine towns and villages and road side verges being cut even on motorways. Not all roads are in great condition but far more are in much better condition than at home, especially motorways.

It is very noticeable that towns and villages are becoming ghost towns with nobody in evidence. Are they now commuter towns? The large number of supermarkets and hyper markets is killing the town centers to a greater degree than here at home.

It is very noticeable that everywhere has identified its assets, history and plugs them to the full to attract visitors which we don't seem to do to the same degree here at home.

In broad terms the French are polite, friendly and welcoming, more than I sense here.

There are loads of towns and villages with 30 kph speed limits within the 50 kph zones with massive humps that must be taken very slowly in a motorhome. These are quite annoying. Everywhere has solar powered speed sensors to display your speed as you approach and we could learn from this to a much greater extent.

I love France but suspect that Germany will be calling me there for out autumn break as its a while since we've been.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Agree with others - this is the kind of thread I like on this forum. Many thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back