On y va en France demain! (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
In Brantôme you have a huge abbay and the town is by a river, never visited it but apparently the place is worth a visit.

Well actually I think The Munchies took me there last summer I seem to recognise the river... not sure though... @Munchie @Mrs Munchie ???

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We are at Brantome now and have just done a tour of the town, taking in a little aperitif en route.

This morning we visited the Grotte de Villars which were, I have to say, were very impressive and well worth the €9.20 entry fee per adult. No photos allowed but cave drawings from 20,000 years ago with the most fantastic stalactites, stalagmites, curtains and macaroni!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Yesterday we visited Perigeux and I expected more and was disappointed. The market was very poor and only a few stalls other than food, not a patch on Cape d'Adge on the south coast. So no photos from yesterday. The cathedral was very impressive and the whole wall incorporating the alter was an intricate carving in wood which you had to pay to illuminate and could not take photos.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pics of Brantome market which I liked but the ladies were disappointed - clothes etc not to their liking.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Last night we arrived at Bergerac and stayed at La Pelouse - €16, the most expensive yet. We went to see the town and market this morning and enough fresh food to feed an army!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Went for a bike ride along the coast and had a coffee admiring the view and people watching and spent the afternoon on the beach. Started a Michael Connelly book titled The Late Show and as usual is a page turner. Weather forecast is set for a bad day tomorrow so we are moving to the main aire in Royan to spend the day in town.

The aire is difficult to find but once we had seen a few vans it was a process of elimination to find the entrance and you need to turn left immediately before he railway crossing. There is also a sign Bout Scouts. It's a domestic street with houses but persist and you will find the entrance on the left. Nice aire arranged in a horseshoe but a pig of a system to get in which involves buying a Pass' Etapes card for 4 € plus the cost for 24 hours of 11.20€. The card will supposedly work elsewhere if they use the same system and you can put credit on the card. Describes itself as the 1er reseau European d'aires d'etape et de services. See BROKEN LINK. You have to enter your surname, forename, mobile phone number and email to get a card or you can't get in. You then put the card in front of a numeric pad on a green stanchion for the barrier to go up and presumably similar on exit. The most faff yet on any aire I have come across in 5 years!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Today we have woken up to persistent light rain and filled and emptied water etc at the borne all included in the price. Got to see where we are in relation to the town Centre before we go exploring. Next to 2 Carthago's from Jersey and an English Pilote and they sound like they like to enjoy themselves, welcoming us to Little Britain. Cheered me up no end in the rain when they said it's the hottest day of the year so far at home!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , When we were at Azay le Rideau , they had just changed the aire there from free to Pass' Etapes card. well worth a visit ,possibly on your way back

Deleted User
Went for a bike ride along the coast and had a coffee admiring the view and people watching and spent the afternoon on the beach. Started a Michael Connelly book titled The Late Show and as usual is a page turner. Weather forecast is set for a bad day tomorrow so we are moving to the main aire in Royan to spend the day in town.

The aire is difficult to find but once we had seen a few vans it was a process of elimination to find the entrance and you need to turn left immediately before he railway crossing. There is also a sign Bout Scouts. It's a domestic street with houses but persist and you will find the entrance on the left. Nice aire arranged in a horseshoe but a pig of a system to get in which involves buying a Pass' Etapes card for 4 € plus the cost for 24 hours of 11.20€. The card will supposedly work elsewhere if they use the same system and you can put credit on the card. Describes itself as the 1er reseau European d'aires d'etape et de services. See BROKEN LINK. You have to enter your surname, forename, mobile phone number and email to get a card or you can't get in. You then put the card in front of a numeric pad on a green stanchion for the barrier to go up and presumably similar on exit. The most faff yet on any aire I have come across in 5 years!

No faff once you are in the system and they have some very good aires.

Many are attached to sites and more are ex municipal sites, not as cheap as some aires but lots with good facilities and electric included, they are growing the network as lots of municipalities offload the responsibility of upkeep etc onto this private company.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Forgot to say that I finished the book this morning, nice twist at the end. Had a nice lunch in a restaurant at the marina and whilst I ate all the mussels, I could not finish the chips and had no pud - I was stuffed and best I've ever had - Diable in a shallot, tomato, garlic and cream sauce the colour of Marie Rose sauce which was great. Now at an aire in La Palmyre for the night.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hottest day of the year in UK 27C in Eastbourne today. We are off to France tomorrow, having to reduce our original plans somewhat as our fridge is not working on gas so restricted to ehu. Going down South to Midi-Pyrenees area. Hoping to see Frankie and plugging into her lecky.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
From Royan we have moved up the coast to La Palmyre and have been revisiting old haunts from when we used to bring the kids to this area over 30 years ago. La Tremblade where we used to go shopping, Côte Sauvage and La Grande Côte for the beach, Luna Park at night etc. Happy days in ready erected tent holidays, trailer tent and caravan holidays.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
From Royan we have moved up the coast to La Palmyre and have been revisiting old haunts from when we used to bring the kids to this area over 30 years ago. La Tremblade where we used to go shopping, Côte Sauvage and La Grande Côte for the beach, Luna Park at night etc. Happy days in ready erected tent holidays, trailer tent and caravan holidays.
Ditto.
Went there many times with our kids, we were tuggers in those days

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We a quick scoot around Ile d'Oleron but didn't get excited by it. The Aires were full and lots of height barriers and poor roads off the main drag. The viaduct to get over was impressive. Used to be horrendous delays and traffic queuing for ferries on changeover days. We have moved on to Fouras, a nice little seaside town between Rochefort and La Rochelle. Weather this morning is much cooler, overcast and now started to rain!:mad:

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
We are now at La Rochelle after visiting the large Carrefour at Angoulins en route. Also filled up with diesel at €1.432 per litre and 24.2 litres of GPL at €0.732 per litre.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back