Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
hello all
can any one tell me if we need to put a on tow sign on the back of our smart car when we tow it on an A frame in france and spain. . and also will we have any problems with the police in these countrys,as we will only have one driver so wont be able to take car off and one of us drive it. you hear so many diffent tails. many thanks:Eeek:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
My own opinion (and it is just that) is that you shouldn't put an "on tow" board up as it isn't required on a trailer. All I've ever done is put the number plate of our motorhome on the car.

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
My own opinion (and it is just that) is that you shouldn't put an "on tow" board up as it isn't required on a trailer. All I've ever done is put the number plate of our motorhome on the car.

Regards
Doug

thanks very much for the advice. its all a bit scary as this is our first time with the car. fingers crossed it all gos well , we are not due to go till feb.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
We towed a car through France and Spain for six months at a time for four years without any problems even though the French police attended for other reasons (I refused to pay for the car as a separate vehicle at a Peage - you can read about it in my book :Smile:).

My view was that your claiming the car was a trailer hence it should have the same signage as the back of an articulated truck hence I put on:

Red triangles.
Towing vehicles number plate.
Two commercial marker boards one with 'Long Vehicle' - we were 38-feet long with the car and a stripe board (not the red & white bicycle ones for an overhang) but yellow and red if I remember correctly.

You can get magnetic boards but I used thin metal ones and roll up ones that we stuck in the rear window with blue tack.

If you look at the back of a few trucks as you drive along you'll get the idea of the signage they use.

The cars indicators and brake lights worked in conjunction with the RVs.

If you look like you know what you're doing then you're less likely to get stopped.

Others would say it's not necessary but better safe than getting a fine and being stuck.

:Smile:
Keith

OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
thank you

thanks for the info every bit helps. nice to hear you had no probs . i feel better about takeing the car already.:Smile: the next thing is to get my other half to teach me to drive, JOY :ROFLMAO:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi we have just been to France for a month, we have a LONG VEHICLE sign in the back window :Smile: because we have one:ROFLMAO: they are not allowed on Lorries these days, but if you wanted one go to a commercial trailer fitter, the only thing you need is a number plate and 2 x red triangles and lights or lighting board, we got some magnetic tape and stuck to our triangles, it works a treat.:thumb: but only if you have a metal car.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:we have not taken ours to Spain yet, but saw loads down there in January, and never found anyone that had a problem. Good Luck Bob.:thumb::Eeek:

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
i had a magnetic "long vehicle" sign made, as near as possible to the commercial ones. as far as i know, this is only required if the tow vehicle is over 7.5 tons. however, someone here is bound to know the details. in any case, it certainy indicates that the car is on tow.

des

OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
Hi we have just been to France for a month, we have a LONG VEHICLE sign in the back window :Smile: because we have one:ROFLMAO: they are not allowed on Lorries these days, but if you wanted one go to a commercial trailer fitter, the only thing you need is a number plate and 2 x red triangles and lights or lighting board, we got some magnetic tape and stuck to our triangles, it works a treat.:thumb: but only if you have a metal car.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:we have not taken ours to Spain yet, but saw loads down there in January, and never found anyone that had a problem. Good Luck Bob.:thumb::Eeek:

many thanks for the advice :thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Theresa

When we tow our Smart Car on its A frame we use two red triangles fixed to the Smart with double-sided suckers / suction cups; also, to ensure we don't lose the triangles, we also have a piece of string attached to each triangle which we secure to a small object in the Smarts boot, so if the suction cups come adrift, you don't lose the triangles - unfortunately can't use magnetic tape as the Smart panels are not metal! Plus the numberplate of the towing motorhome is inserted instead of the Smarts own plate while its on tow.

We don't use the ON TOW sign we have as trailers don't require this and the Smart becomes a trailer when towed on the A frame. You can download some French / Spanish info from the Towtal website to show the police if they stop you - it may help. From what I've heard, police in France are not the problem, but the Spanish police can be much more unpredictable and have made people unhitch.

The only way to be absolutely sure of no issues is to use a trailer, but many people use an A frame without issues in France. We've kept our trailer to use use on trips to Europe but the A frame is just so convenient that I sometimes wonder if we will!!!

Enjoy your travels!!! :thumb:

Laurie

Last edited:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Nothing to do with regards to towing but its a must to learn to drive. I slipped a disc at Lake garda on 27 Sept just and my darling wife had to drive all the way back to Plymouth as I was fllat out >Hope it clears up soon as fed up sitting around!!:Eeek:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not wanting to put a damper on things,, but a friend of mine and his mate went with both their motorhomes and micra type cars on "A" frames,, after they had crossed from France into Spain they were pulled by the Guardia Civil and made to disconect and the ladies had to drive the cars,, :Angry:

After an overnight stop in Spain they took their chances and reconected the cars to the "A" frames,, and did the rest of the journey and back to the UK a month later with no hassle,, :Smile:

So I think it all depends on the mood of the police,,

No on the spot fine or anything..

OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
great lets hope they in a good mood when we go then. we have a print out from towtal regarding the law on towing with the a frame ,its in spanish and french . :roflmto::Doh:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Just an add on to this thread

A close friend of mine was stopped by the Spannish Police as he left the Autoroute near Benidorm, last week, he was towing a car on a brand new two axle trailer, they fined him 150 Euro for not having a LGV type "Long Vehicle Sign"

Also they asked for his driving licence and knew he had to have an artic licence to drive this combination!!!

The outfit was a 36' Rv with a 2 axle car trailer.

Regards Pat

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
our van is only 24foot plus the smart car . the smart car will be on an A FRAME . maybe we will put a sign on any way just in case. not very nice for your friend . :Doh:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"A" Frame towing.

Hi

My experience in Spain Last winter:-. Pulled TWICE On the M-Ways. Both times on a SUNDAY (very quiet) and both times by MOTORCYCLE cops . 31ft R-V towing Fiat punto ("A" frame) Total MAM (weighbridge ticket) 8.13tonne. They wanted to see driving licence insurance(s) V5`s. and then advised that "A" frame towing was illegal in Spain, (shrug shoulders, smile, and do "no comprende") and told not to do it again. but then flagged me on anyway!!. My personal opinion is that as it was Sunday they where bored!!! (They (later) pulled another, this time with a trailer!!, Same two cops!!)

I put (R-V) number plate over car plate using tie wraps and two magnetic red triangles as far to each side as they will go. (£4-00 plus postage from Cris Cox). The French police have never yet bothered us, AND where actually very good when I had to pull over to make temporary repair to my exhaust!!.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi I spoke to my friend a couple of nights ago night and he told me that the police measured the outfit and said it was over 18 metres when it definitely is not! Infact it is just over 17metres. They did fine him for the missing sign and also warned him that as the car's towbar protruded rear of the trailer (6") a red and white square should also have also been inplace!!!

They allowed him to carry on to the site as he was about 4 kms from his destination.

They also asked him for his driving licence and made sure that he had the full LGV licence (ie artic) which he has, also they had already checked via Swansea I presume that he had insurance, as when he offered them the certificate they said that they had already checked that!!!

He say that they knew exactly what they were doing and what to look for (Although their measuring tape seems to be a little bit short:ROFLMAO:) also spoke very good English!

So those people driving RVs on normal licences be warned and if you tow you have to have the full licence!!

Regards Pat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back