On the subject of cassette toilets and the gentleman's vegetables. (1 Viewer)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
I'm of the opinion that the discussion of bodily functions, although taboo for a great many people, is often very necessary when motorhoming as not everything is obvious.

Now, I agree with the "flap open, paper over the hole to prevent skids" approach as a substantial expulsion with the flap closed doesn't bear thinking about - talk about coming back to bite you.

Along these lines, I have discovered that although I am not a 'normous person I'm not entirely convinced that there is room for... everything... in the Thetford bowl, and I can't persuade myself that bombs dropped would be on target, so to speak; rather that they might fall somewhat short of the intended orifice, itself not massive, and lay there sneering at me as I try to flush it/them away with the pathetic flush, or worse: back up and eventually resist expulsion altogether.

The only solution I could see to this predicament, and this has been attempted, was to shuffle forward (try not to imagine this too graphically; it will scar you) and flop the aforementioned vegetables on the outside of the bowl, positioning the bomb bay at what I considered to be dead centre over the target (difficult to ascertain without a camera on a bendy stick). This was remarkably uncomfortable and the experiment had to be abandoned (I trudged through the rain to the site's big-boy toilets).

Is this a common worry? Am I concerning myself unduly? Should I buy a camera on a stick?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I'm of the opinion that the discussion of bodily functions, although taboo for a great many people, is often very necessary when motorhoming as not everything is obvious.

Now, I agree with the "flap open, paper over the hole to prevent skids" approach as a substantial expulsion with the flap closed doesn't bear thinking about - talk about coming back to bite you.

Along these lines, I have discovered that although I am not a 'normous person I'm not entirely convinced that there is room for... everything... in the Thetford bowl, and I can't persuade myself that bombs dropped would be on target, so to speak; rather that they might fall somewhat short of the intended orifice, itself not massive, and lay there sneering at me as I try to flush it/them away with the pathetic flush, or worse: back up and eventually resist expulsion altogether.

The only solution I could see to this predicament, and this has been attempted, was to shuffle forward (try not to imagine this too graphically; it will scar you) and flop the aforementioned vegetables on the outside of the bowl, positioning the bomb bay at what I considered to be dead centre over the target (difficult to ascertain without a camera on a bendy stick). This was remarkably uncomfortable and the experiment had to be abandoned (I trudged through the rain to the site's big-boy toilets).

Is this a common worry? Am I concerning myself unduly? Should I buy a camera on a stick?
Your so right to voice your concerns on this matter with *FUN*. After all, we are all an understanding group of fellow toilet users. (y) I find the best method of operation is to proceed normally, but in the case of a 'stuck' bomb load, a helpful spoon from the kitchen knife drawer soon free's the obstruction.:)
Don't forget to replace the spoon after use, in case your wife may miss it. (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My flush is like a tornado. Hence my bog mod.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/thetford-flush-overactive-solution.82308/
CA_04041415142332-M.jpg

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I've heard that some people put bin bags under the toilet seat and then dispose of it with the paper in the rubbish. Somewhat similar tactic that people use with their dogs. Eventually, it finishes up in landfill.

Not that we would ever do anything like that!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
No my friend!:rolleyes:

To sit? and discharge! one must first of all imagine the size of ones loo! Generally, in a post 1995 M/H, anywhere between size6-8.

Then one must peruse ones own "rear"

Quite a few of us, those that have lived "a full and plentiful" lifestyle, have arses from size 12 - 20

The "Position" needs to be worked out to the nearest millimetre for a stain free discharge.

Hope this, and a slide rule, helps you in your quest!:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
I feel so inadequate now. :blusher:
All of my "bits" fit, and I can still hit the target without the use of a mirror on a stick. :tmi:

I'm now wondering if older Thetford's are smaller? Shallower? It's a worry.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
No my friend!:rolleyes:

To sit? and discharge! one must first of all imagine the size of ones loo! Generally, in a post 1995 M/H, anywhere between size6-8.

Then one must peruse ones own "rear"

Quite a few of us, those that have lived "a full and plentiful" lifestyle, have arses from size 12 - 20

The "Position" needs to be worked out to the nearest millimetre for a stain free discharge.

Hope this, and a slide rule, helps you in your quest!:rolleyes:

I knew I wasn't alone. Our mh is a 1991 vintage so the loo must be designed for those who can walk upright in a VW transporter. With a hat on. Perhaps there's an app I could download?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm more concerned with the closed flap. Doesn't everyone perform with the flap open? Then close it and flush until the water is a couple of inches deep before using toilet paper. Then open flap & flush normally. Stuck in my mind is the pile of steaming ............... just resting on five pieces of toilet paper. Or have I misunderstood (I hope I have........... :cautious:).

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
We always pull the flush lever slightly to fill the bowl to around a 3rd before getting started giving them something to bob about in same as a domestic loo then flush the lot, no marks, don't know if this would use too much of a euro vans cassette allocation but with 50 gallon capacity we only have to drop the kids off at the big pool once a week ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm more concerned with the closed flap. Doesn't everyone perform with the flap open? Then close it and flush until the water is a couple of inches deep before using toilet paper. Then open flap & flush normally. Stuck in my mind is the pile of steaming ............... just resting on five pieces of toilet paper. Or have I misunderstood (I hope I have........... :cautious:).

Good god, by the time you've finished you'll be ready for the next one.

You greatly overestimate the strength of toilet paper.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
We always pull the flush lever slightly to fill the bowl to around a 3rd before getting started giving them something to bob about in same as a domestic loo then flush the lot, no marks, don't know if this would use too much of a euro vans cassette allocation but with 50 gallon capacity we only have to drop the kids off at the big pool once a week ::bigsmile:

Our loo is like a Tupperware sandwich box flushed with a mouthful of Vimto through a drinking straw, compared to your palatial lavatory.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thetford's own 'Toilet Instruction Manual' for Hymer's says.....Ven you are over London, open der bomberr doors, and ven der sight is aligned on der target, Erscheinungs Bomben!!!! SIEG HEIL!!

Our Hymer is a bit old now.........:(:(:(:(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
:Eeek:

you should worry, after dumping our doings have to be sucked via a macerator into the black tank, the hole out of the bowl is about half the size of yours

it can be a bit of a fight sometimes :Eeek:

and on a related subject, when looking at new MH's we sit on a toilet and flap our arms to see if we have enough room to clean up afterwards

you are not alone in your worries :D

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
:Eeek:

you should worry, after dumping our doings have to be sucked via a macerator into the black tank, the hole out of the bowl is about half the size of yours

it can be a bit of a fight sometimes :Eeek:

and on a related subject, when looking at new MH's we sit on a toilet and flap our arms to see if we have enough room to clean up afterwards

you are not alone in your worries :D

To be blunt, ours is a bit like crapping in a single wardrobe. Lady Luck is being somewhat tardy with the huge lottery prize...

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
We never do it with the flap open,none of us likes the thought of splash back on the arse.We keep the flap closed ,give a couple of short flushes to wet the sides and cover the flap ,then lay.
Even the largest of MrsVlads turds slips down if rule number one is followed.

Rule number one is .......empty the cassette regularly.A combination of a half full one and a huge turd may mean you have to use the flap to decapitate the last third !:Eeek:

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back