On the road with habitation battery Issues (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Bit of help or advice needed if anyone can help ….

We are on the road driving up through France.

Until yesterday the van was parked for few days outside your house with the solar keeping the batteries topped up.

We left the Charente yesterday - before we set off I noticed the digital display clock had reset itself but I didn’t think anything of it.

When we stopped at lunch time we had no power in the habitation area unless we left the engine running. Yesterday evening we were on EHU and everything worked fine when plugged in, but no power if on battery.

The van display is showing 12.7 volts - my multimeter is showing the same. The charge level hasn’t moved up in 200 odd miles of driving or overnight on the EHU. We are on EHU this evening so it’s not a major problem.

Never had any issues with it up to now - 5000 miles usage over the summer, The van is two years old with less than 10,000 miles on it. 2018 Hymer Exsis-I

Where do I start with trouble shooting ? Is it likely a sudden fail of the battery? Is there some sort fo reset button or major fuse to look at?

Thanks in advance …..

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Check the 20amp fuse next to your starter battery, it should be next to the larger 50amp fuse.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Have you somehow managed to inadvertantly switch off the main hab electric distribution. I dont know your van but we can have the panel reading normal but if the main switch is off nothing else works.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Have you somehow managed to inadvertantly switch off the main hab electric distribution. I dont know your van but we can have the panel reading normal but if the main switch is off nothing else works.
Just checked but main hab electric distribution is set to on.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Check the 20amp fuse next to your starter battery, it should be next to the larger 50amp fuse.

There is a 50 amp in here - is that the one you are referring to ? Thanks

E1CA9A3C-5ED3-4520-9501-07027E6C4419.jpeg

Attachments

• C47D9DD6-7D4F-4EC4-BBB1-EF1AE31B2857.jpeg
    C47D9DD6-7D4F-4EC4-BBB1-EF1AE31B2857.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 15
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I would check the 50A fuse on the leisure battery. When I had a Hymer it was mounted behind the leisure battery. When the engine is running the engine battery connects to the 12V domestic system and when you are on a hook up the 12V charger in the EBL will power the domestic circuit. This narrows the problem down to the 12V supply from the leisure battery and the first thing to check is the fuse.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Checked 50A fuse on the leisure battery - not that.
I would check the 50A fuse on the leisure battery. When I had a Hymer it was mounted behind the leisure battery. When the engine is running the engine battery connects to the 12V domestic system and when you are on a hook up the 12V charger in the EBL will power the domestic circuit. This narrows the problem down to the 12V supply from the leisure battery and the first thing to check is the fuse.

I thought tat was most likely but I have the 50A fuse on the leisure battery - not that.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have a similar problem

There is a battery detection fuse on ours which is on a separate circuit board. Although ours is ok and we still have the issue it might be worth locating and checking it. Maybe the EBL is not seeing the Hab Battery connected.
Also it might be worth disconnecting the leisure battery (or batteries) and reconnecting back to see if it clears it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
What age is the motorhome? Do you have a multimeter to check the voltage at the battery?

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
It does sound as if something has tripped or blown, especially as the leisure battery is not charging. As Pausim says, what’s the voltage at the leisure battery terminals, measured by multimeter? Also, have you done a continuity test across the battery fuse? They can look fine but be duff...

Good luck sorting it out.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
No - has been stuck at 12.7 since yesterday despite 200 miles of druvibg and ehu.
So no charge from alternator, solar and EHU.
I would check the voltage at the 3 pin plug on the other side of the EBL and see if the voltage changes on the cab battery input when the engine is running. If it rises then the EBL has a fault, which I suspect is your issue as you also have solar going in so should be getting a charge during the day.
You may be best contacting Udo Lang at Schaudt.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
What age is the motorhome? Do you have a multimeter to check the voltage at the battery?
It does sound as if something has tripped or blown, especially as the leisure battery is not charging. As Pausim says, what’s the voltage at the leisure battery terminals, measured by multimeter? Also, have you done a continuity test across the battery fuse? They can look fine but be duff...

Good luck sorting it out.

It’s a 2018 Hymer Exsis-I

I have a multimeter and it’s reading 12.8v across the battery terminals andhave also checked continuity across the fuse which is ok.

I’ll have another look when we stop this evening.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If you can get to the back of the EBL check the voltages there. There are two feeds, one from the engine battery and one from the leisure battery they share the negative. If you have volts there from the leisure battery it tends to narrow it down to the EBL. The little switch for turning it on and off has a bit of a reputation for playing up, from your picture it seems to be hidden behind the clump of wires. I am not sure the symptoms fit with that being at fault but if you toggle it on and of you might hear the relay clunk softly a moment after you go back to on.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
I had electroblok issues, I assumed if the meter said the fuse was ok, it was, Udo Lang differed and got me to change the 20 and 50 amp fuses and problem solved.

Me too, in our case, it was a stuck relay in the EBL 99 for the habitation 12v, no amount of switching off, on, off with our two 12v switches, one on the EBL and one on our board, made any difference.
Tommy at Camperserve in Loule Portugal managed to reset the relay (dont ask me how) and we've not had a repeat of the problem since.
Coincidentally, this problem occured when our Schauldt 12v solar regulator failed and I had to switch off our 12v supply to stop the solar panels from cooking our batteries while I covered the panels.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If you can get to the back of the EBL check the voltages there. There are two feeds, one from the engine battery and one from the leisure battery they share the negative. If you have volts there from the leisure battery it tends to narrow it down to the EBL.
Thats what I already suggested!
See post#16

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Having looked at the wiring diagram for the EBL 30 there is a 2A fuse on the leisure battery detector. It might be worth checking the 2A fuse next to the 50A one, or even the 2 above.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Thats what I already suggested!
See post#16
Sorry I misunderstood your posting. On my EBL there were screw terminals rather than a plug for the main battery connections. I agree that an EBL fault is possible. The main EBL relay for the leisure battery has been suggested and seems a possible candidate.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Thanks all for helpful advice ... it’s chucking down with rain here so I’ll have another look at it in the the morning.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Now back at home ... the weather through Northern France all the way up to Stafford was dreadful so I didn't get chance to get down on my hands and knees and poke around in the electrics locker.

Battery is still showing 12.8v on the multimeter and on the Hymer habitation panel inside.

Everything works fine when the engine is running but no power as soon as its shut off. Not even enough to light the internal control LCD display.

I had a big muti pack of fuses with me but not 50amp or 2 amp so not tried swapping those yet but they do look and test OK on my meter.

Having looked at the wiring diagram for the EBL 30 there is a 2A fuse on the leisure battery detector. It might be worth checking the 2A fuse next to the 50A one, or even the 2 above.

I had electroblok issues, I assumed if the meter said the fuse was ok, it was, Udo Lang differed and got me to change the 20 and 50 amp fuses and problem solved.

However ... I'm now in Qtine for two weeks the Hymer is back in the storage yard so I can't do anything else till then.

Sorry I misunderstood your posting. On my EBL there were screw terminals rather than a plug for the main battery connections. I agree that an EBL fault is possible. The main EBL relay for the leisure battery has been suggested and seems a possible candidate.

I've downloaded the <Broken link removed> where might the relay be? Is it integral to the panel?

I may have to hand it over to the professionals to look at but I do like to understand how things works so I can fix obvious faults.

Anyway ... now I have to go a fix the washing machine. We've returned home and thats now failing for no obvious reason ...

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Strange, as your solar panel should be enough to light the panel, so sounds like either the EBL is Faulty or your battery

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Now back at home ... the weather through Northern France all the way up to Stafford was dreadful so I didn't get chance to get down on my hands and knees and poke around in the electrics locker.

Battery is still showing 12.8v on the multimeter and on the Hymer habitation panel inside.

Everything works fine when the engine is running but no power as soon as its shut off. Not even enough to light the internal control LCD display.

I had a big muti pack of fuses with me but not 50amp or 2 amp so not tried swapping those yet but they do look and test OK on my meter.

However ... I'm now in Qtine for two weeks the Hymer is back in the storage yard so I can't do anything else till then.

I've downloaded the <Broken link removed> where might the relay be? Is it integral to the panel?

I may have to hand it over to the professionals to look at but I do like to understand how things works so I can fix obvious faults.

Anyway ... now I have to go a fix the washing machine. We've returned home and thats now failing for no obvious reason ...

The relay will be inside the EBL on a circuit board.
I think the cover of the EBL usually has two screws that need removing from below so would involve removing the unit to gain access.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago

And now the good news ... i fixed the washing machine at home - watched a few Ebay tutorials and total parts cost £35. Keeping busy in quarantine !!

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Finally finished my quarantine and got back to storage yard.

After spending days in QT reading up about Motorhome electrical systems, the EBL, different type of batteries, solar regulators etc I approached the Hymer armed with great knowledge and pretty sure I could identify the problem.

Then ... I spotted the wire leading from the 50Amp fuse to the EBL was loose..... plugged in back in and it all started working again !!!

How I missed that when I was on the road I don't know. I'd checked continuity across the fuse but could get at the back of the EBL to check continuity there. I just didn't spot the loose cable.

Anyway ... all is not lost. I know have a good knowledge of how all the electrical systems work together.

Thanks to everyone who posted with ideas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back