On The Road Again.. & Where to keep the Spare (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi all

we have now left the 'pub' and will be heading to France shortly, first stop Euro Disney for a couple of days then mosey on down toward Spain, perhaps calling in at Parc Verger and then Mimizan to hopefully meet up with Jock n Rita .... After that who knows until September when we join the RVF Moroccan trip ..

Will try to get Wifi but not too hopeful in France except at Parc Verger so if I disappear for a bit don't think I've abandoned you lot.. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck and safe travels to everyone for the coming season..

Jim and Jan :Smile:

On site.. today

DSC_2878.jpg

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hope you have a GREAT trip Jim. May your travels be MANY and your troubles be FEW. Hope to meet up with you on your travels. :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have a good one Jim and Family, See you in around 9 months. Safe Journeys and blue skies:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Nice one Jim......shame you didn't mention sooner you could have carried Gary's bits n bobs down to France for him :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Have a wonderful trip, love to Jan & the kids xxx

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Safe travels hope you have a great trip.

Look forward to meeting up with you in 9 months for the RVF Morrocan Adventure :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Have a really super trip mate:thumb:

Please try and keep us updated as last year we all worried about you with the long silence:winky:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Jim

Hope you all have a great time. How is Charlotte, bet she can't wait to get back to the sun.

Whats the battering ram on the front for, getting out of the country? :roflmto::roflmto:

Best of luck anyway, hope it goes well

stew

Brits-Rv

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
Hi Jim,:Smile:
Where is the site you are on at the moment, thought we saw you going up the A12
yesterday morning, it looks nice and dry.:Smile:
Have a safe journey.

Mick.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim,:Smile:
Where is the site you are on at the moment, thought we saw you going up the A12
yesterday morning, it looks nice and dry.:Smile:
Have a safe journey.

Mick.

Hi Mick.. that was us no doubt, ::bigsmile: we are at a CL near Little Baddow, booked in for an MOT next Monday then all being well off to France next Tuesday ..

Safe travels

Jim :Smile:

Brits-Rv

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
Hi Jim::bigsmile:
Is that the fruit farm? If it is we have booked on there for easter. I don't know if friends of ours is still there, they have an american fifth wheel.

Mick.:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim::bigsmile:
Is that the fruit farm? If it is we have booked on there for easter. I don't know if friends of ours is still there, they have an american fifth wheel.

Mick.:thumb:

Yes.. great CL, tons of space with good access... but no 5th wheeler here just now.

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
I didn't think you could carry anything on the front of a vehicle if it stood out infront of the lights ?? . . . if you are allowed, what's to stop someone carrying a small moped on a frame on the front ?

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
I didn't think you could carry anything on the front of a vehicle if it stood out infront of the lights ?? . . . if you are allowed, what's to stop someone carrying a small moped on a frame on the front ?

what about the old vw campers?:winky:

safe travels Jim look forward to meeting you in September:thumb

mark.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Hi Vic

you may well be right and to be frank I'm not in love with it on the front and am looking into standing it on the tow bar instead, it's a real problem finding a place to carry such a big wheel, few RVs with this size carry spares..

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Jim

Is there anyway it could go on the roof, less chance of theft as well

stew

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Vic

you may well be right and to be frank I'm not in love with it on the front and am looking into standing it on the tow bar instead, it's a real problem finding a place to carry such a big wheel, few RVs with this size carry spares..

Your Mot Man will be scratching his head over it too, next week
Geo

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Your Mot Man will be scratching his head over it too, next week
Geo

Geo has given his expert advice via PM ..

I quote :

it all depends on how clued up your tester is, the vast majority interpret this area incorrectly and most would fail it, under the dangerous projection rule section 6.1 method of inspection. 4, reason for rejection .4
However, this regulation is not open to interpretation and reads as follows, (Hi lighted the relevant words)
Reason for rejection 6.1-4
A sharp edge or projection Caused by damage or corrosion that renders a vehicle dangerous to other road users or pedestrians.

Now whilst many may agree your modification may cause both, it was a deliberate modification and as such does NOT fall within the description or reason for rejection, Here at Pecks Hill, however you would get a printed advise suitably worded, advising that in my opinion it was dangerous but a PASS never the less
Hope that helps
Let us know what he say's
you may post my comments on open forum if you wish
Geo

Thanks for the advice Geo ..

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Jim
I agree with Geo (not that often :roflmto:)
it's a fail if sharp broken parts are potruding to the front
HGV trucks with "Bull Bars" pass all the time so to do 4x4's with bars on

Good luck mate
keep us posted :thumb:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
it's a real problem finding a place to carry such a big wheel, few RVs with this size carry spares..

Do RV's not have a spare wheel carrier underneath like Trucks and Coach's. I always presumed the spare would be underneath, I ve spent many cold wet nights freeing of a spare on the hard shoulder.

Rich...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Do RV's not have a spare wheel carrier underneath like Trucks and Coach's. I always presumed the spare would be underneath, I ve spent many cold wet nights freeing of a spare on the hard shoulder.

Rich...

Hi Rich

Yes, you would think so but not the case.. there is plenty of space between the chassis rails in the centre of mine but it's not standard to fit one.. or supply a spare.
I guess the American logic is that it's too darn big for the average owner to handle and it's better to call out a tyre repairer... that's all well and good in the States, but these tyre sizes are not readily available in Europe so for peace of mind a spare is a must ... even if you can't change it yourself.

Anyways, rather than risk an MOT failure I'm going to (hopefully) mount on the rear on top of the tow bar .. either that or it sits inside.. :Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thought of that but totally impractical, you would need a crane, weighs about 50 kg

I would go with the roof Jim. I know its heavy and it would take two people and a ladder to get it up, but you could get it down on your own in an emergency easy enough, especially if you put it on a rope and lowered it, and even easier with the help of the recovery guy who I would call out with a puncture anyway. Got to be better that front or back.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just a though Jim, Why not take just the tyre and then you migh be able to keep it on the roof like Artona said. Or it might be possable to keep the tyre in a locker as you will be able to store stuff inside it.

All you would need is a pair of tyre leavers some washing up liquid and if you RV has air, just a tyre inflator. 19.5" tyres are easy to change. Or if you are totaly stuffed it would be easy to get the tyre fitted. As you say 225/75R19.5 are not easy to get.

Rich...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Rich..

It's a 22.5 rim and the tyre, overall dia = 37" is too big for a locker, and lifting it to the roof is a 3 man job, believe me, I have tried that, just ask Jan :laughing: then Linda imported the wheel which cost about £260 so I would be loath to dispense with it..
I carry all the tools for changing the wheel or tyre and have a pro repair kit for truck tyres, plus an airline plumbed into the air tanks.. so I'm ready for most eventualities if I have a problem in the middle of no where ..

thanks for your ideas ..

Jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Jim Using a small boat trailer recovery ratchet fastend to the centre chassis, you could make a wind up spare wheel carrier as per the ford transit bit of steel and a few bolts, sounds like a nice job for spain in the sun:thumb:
Geo

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
When I brought my Nissan Patrol in many years ago when moving back to Blighty from Africa, I had to have a SVA (single vehicle approval) test done at the local big test station (took nearly 4 hours!!!). There were quite a few Japanese 4x4s coming in with various dealers, and while waiting, one of the dealers came over and advised me to remove the spare from its rear-door mount for the test and put it back before driving off, or else it would fail. All in full view of the testers etc - no secrets.

So I did. And the tester confirmed that yes, he had to fail vehicles with the spare mounted that way, and yes, of course he knew the spare had to be replaced after he'd done with the vehicle, it just had to be off while he was testing it!!

Remounted it before driving off - wait for it - the tester actually came over and helped, being gentlemanly and the wheel being a big heavy beast (not quite like yours Jim) and me being a woman of somewhat smaller proportions in those days.........and passed the SVA test, which was just a mammoth MOT.

Laurie :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A solution.. of sorts

Well, problem solved for the moment but a permanent underbody carrier is favourite for the future

Mounted on top of tow ball and secured by straps to bike carrier.. no wise cracks about the Tote n Stor please :roflmto:

DSC_2880.jpg

Carrier removed from front..

DSC_2879.jpg

Thanks to all who offered advice and practical help via PM .. :Smile:

This is what forums are all about.. :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That looks better Jim. Good place for the Tote-n-Stor; thats the same size as mine, I wish I had got the smaller one now, the 25 gallon one is just too big, and its a monster to drag when its full.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back