On our way to Croatia or there about... (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
on the lunchtime train next Tuesday 12th and we're heading for Croatia, from Calais I'll put in lake Bled Slovenia no Tolls and see where it takes us, we're in no hurry.

Will probably stay at the ACSI site on the lake for a few days then head down to Croatia, now I say probably because if the weather is rubbish out there we will probably go else where. Been getting the van ready and can't wait to go as the weather is terrible down in Cornwall, nearly put the heating on the other night..:eek:

I'm going to try and do a little log of our trip on this thread but don't hold your breath as I might be too busy having a good time but I'll no doubt put something on even if it's to say we've done nothing...

I enjoy reading people's travels on here as I'm sure most of you do too so this will be one to miss, or not..:cool:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We had a trip to Austria in June, with a plan to continue on down through Slovenia to northern Croatia.

But in the event, surprisingly, the weather was so good and the scenery stunning touring in Austria, we only got to within a few miles of the Slovenia border, so Croatia will have to wait for another time.

Have a great trip. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hope the weather improves by the time you get there

IMG_8747.PNG

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Croatia is a good place, was there in 2010, we had great weather, we had a 4x4 so did some off roading good job we had a guide lot's of mines everywhere, thay will be clearing them for 25/30 years estimated.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We're keeping a close eye on it Robert, will probably decide when we're at Calais on Tuesday if we go straight on or do a right hand turn and go down to Portugal....
That's a good idea
Another option to consider is heading towards the bottom of Italy and hopping over to Greece or Sicily
Wherever you end up I hope the weather is kind to you

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
That's a good idea
Another option to consider is heading towards the bottom of Italy and hopping over to Greece or Sicily
Wherever you end up I hope the weather is kind to you

Yes, reading @DBK 's trip there at the moment and looks nice....:sun:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes, reading @DBK 's trip there at the moment and looks nice....:sun:

Looking very good indeed

IMG_8751.PNG

No point going anywhere and sitting in the van because it's raining

Looking at historical climate data, Greece is a bit better than Sicily in September. Whereas Sicily is better than Greece in early summer.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Stay here, for lake Bled. http://www.sava-hotels-resorts.com/en/accomodations/sava-hoteli-bled/camping-bled/
and here http://www.ljubljanaresort.si/en/
The centre of Ljubljana is a stunning must visit place and easy to explore on foot. (it's on your route either down or on return journey. There is a bus stop immediately outside the camp that will take you to the city centre. A taxi cost us 6€ (2014)
Safe Travels
View attachment 184579 View attachment 184581 View attachment 184582 View attachment 184583 View attachment 184584

Exactly where we will stay, €19 with ACSI but the weather is not looking good....

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, we are going to Croatia could you give the campsite recommendations anyway?
Why not!
Istria region is the place to be.
These are the Campsites we used in 2014.
http://www.camping.hr/croatia-travel/istria

http://www.aminess-campsites.com/en/aminess-sirena-campsite
http://www.portonbiondirovinj.com/en
https://www.arenacamps.com/en/camps-istria/camping-arena-stoja
http://www.camp-peskera.com/en
http://www.camp-bor.hr/en/

A word of warning! Make sure you visit when ACSI rates apply or expect to pay around 40€ per day. Istra is stunning and you can easily spend a month or more here visiting some wonderful towns.
Safe Travels

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Well, it looks like Croatia weather is going down hill so it looks like we will go down through France, along the top of Spain and spend some time in Portugal and then back along the coast of Spain...

I'll start another thread if anyone's interested in our travels on that trip...

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Just heading back from Croatia, and if i had my way ( mrs wanted to see the national parks) i would have stayed in Slovenia...which is a gorgeous country, the sat nav took us via small villages in croatia which i found unbelievable that folk were living there, blocks of flats...only about 5 stories high, riddled with bullet holes, windows missing, doors hanging off an people living there.. the campsites were like gypsy sites, we went to about 5 before finding one that was like a descent site, I wanted to take some pics of these villages but mrs didnt want to stop lol, the coastline looks very nice and the waterfalls in the national park were stunning, but you need to get there early otherwise you struggle to get a descent pic as its so crowded, we got there at 8am and had to que at that time, and when trying to leave at sbout 1pm you were against the crowds coming in..all i can say about the waterfalls is as nice as they were, it got to the point i couldnt be bothered to take anymore pics..just another waterfall lol... Croatia itself did not impress us, we went seen and came back...job done.. Slovenia in my opinion is a much nicer cleaner country with lots to do and see, especially if you like bike trails, when i get back i shall have to load up some pics with the hope its helpfull to some who want to travel this way..France,Germany,Austria,Slovenia,Croatia....Austria by the way has the cheapest fuel i have come across ..a tad over 1euro a litre....1.06e... never been to Germany before until now and was a little took back at how clean and freindly the germans are..dont mention the war lmao.. did lots of cycle paths along the mosel river and stunning scenery along the way, Austria stunning too, especially wolfgangsee lake and Halstatt.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just heading back from Croatia, and if i had my way ( mrs wanted to see the national parks) i would have stayed in Slovenia...which is a gorgeous country, the sat nav took us via small villages in croatia which i found unbelievable that folk were living there, blocks of flats...only about 5 stories high, riddled with bullet holes, windows missing, doors hanging off an people living there.. the campsites were like gypsy sites, we went to about 5 before finding one that was like a descent site, I wanted to take some pics of these villages but mrs didnt want to stop lol, the coastline looks very nice and the waterfalls in the national park were stunning, but you need to get there early otherwise you struggle to get a descent pic as its so crowded, we got there at 8am and had to que at that time, and when trying to leave at sbout 1pm you were against the crowds coming in..all i can say about the waterfalls is as nice as they were, it got to the point i couldnt be bothered to take anymore pics..just another waterfall lol... Croatia itself did not impress us, we went seen and came back...job done.. Slovenia in my opinion is a much nicer cleaner country with lots to do and see, especially if you like bike trails, when i get back i shall have to load up some pics with the hope its helpfull to some who want to travel this way..France,Germany,Austria,Slovenia,Croatia....Austria by the way has the cheapest fuel i have come across ..a tad over 1euro a litre....1.06e... never been to Germany before until now and was a little took back at how clean and freindly the germans are..dont mention the war lmao.. did lots of cycle paths along the mosel river and stunning scenery along the way, Austria stunning too, especially wolfgangsee lake and Halstatt.

Thanks for that, we've also seen that there is plenty in Slovenia.... would love to see your pictures, please send me a link when you do post them....(y)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Its advised in Croatia that if your thinking of going cycling its better and safer in groups...very inspiring i must say lol, While in Slovenia we stayed at Camping Danica, its ahout 10km further from lake Bled, cycle paths right off the site, all tarmac with stunning views around every corner, a better and more nicer lake than Bled which is on the cycle route is Lake Bohinj, you can actually cycle around part of it...beware we seen some naked folk along the shore of the lake laying in the undergrowth..not that i was looking lol, Slovenia to us had a nice safe feel about it, whereas Croatia had the opposite, i know there was a war there about 20 yrs ago, but the areas we seen you would think it was a few months ago.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Some members may be put off Croatia by the above post and whilst I am not challenging it's accuracy I thought it only fair to bring some balance so members have an informed view.
I.M.O. Croatia is a stunning place to visit, the people are very friendly and you will be warmly received. Our experience is based on the Istria region which is perfect for visiting in a motorhome. Plenty of large modern campsites and great for exploring either on foot, bike or car.
As I said in my previous post my only downside is no wilding allowed and campsite prices in peak season are very, very expensive. However, you can still visit during good weather and get ACSI rates at many campsites. We visited from middle May on wards and we had temperatures in the high 20's -30's.
The link below provides a good description of the region. Also, agree with above post in respect to Slovenia, Austria and Germany.
http://www.camping.hr/croatia-travel/istria

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Slovenia was only at war for 10 days unlike Croatia so they did not have the devastation to recover from. Just an interesting fact , no criticism of anyone elses posts intended.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Well, going to try again to get there as last year with the weather we went to Portugal instead....

We are booked on the train on 29th April and the original post applies, aim to be out there 6-8wks.

Seen a few other threads on Croatia recently and it seems a few going out there for the spring...(y)

Any recommendations welcome..(y)(y)

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
32207B6D-2DD8-41EF-A2D4-FDD04D217305.jpeg
We were there last May, first stop was on KRK island via the toll bridge, toll charge about £5 stayed on a wonderful site at Dobrinj the sea was just metres from pitches, highly recommended, we preferred the northern parts to the south and the people very friendly, pity it’s a long way to travel, we covered 3000 miles in less than 4 weeks

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Well, going to try again to get there as last year with the weather we went to Portugal instead....

We are booked on the train on 29th April and the original post applies, aim to be out there 6-8wks.

Seen a few other threads on Croatia recently and it seems a few going out there for the spring...(y)

We are going to be 7 days in front of you. Definitely Croatia as our destination, Zadar perhaps as far south as we will go. Hope to post as we go so maybe we will have good site recommendations. We love the country, hope to take a ferry from Zadar to Mali Losinj and then drive north to cross to main land. Never plan too much.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

We went last year start of June and 30°c probably better if we're there a bit earlier, because although lovely weather it was heaving with cruise ships and tour coaches, but yes enjoyed it and camping Krk was probably the best campsite we stopped on, but they were all busy and even with acsi you pay a tourist tax. :eek: :LOL: Enjoy (y) Bob.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
http://www.kampslamni.com.hr/en/

We didn’t book any of our stops and in May we had no problems finding a nice stop, apparently very different in June July August
In our experience June not too bad but you are right, July and August very busy and sites full. I think school holidays in some eastern European countries start last week of June.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back