On hookup, electrics not working.. (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2018
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr e435
Exp
1 year
Hello,
At Gatwick and hooked up, but electrics not working...
240 a.c. not working.
Also, should the leisure battery be charging when hooked up?
Or do I need a partic setting on power button for leisure battery to charge? A spare leisure battery will be ruined if I can't charge it now...help!
George

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a problem with mine! This week it would not start, The electric input socket seems to be loose? Whin I move it about it seems to be ok, but does not stay that way!
The first simple check is to see if any of the 13A sockets in the van are working. If they aren't the EHU is likely to be the problem. If they are then the EHU is fine.

Upvote 0

Syl

Free Member
Dec 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Thanks I did this and they work sometimes! I think the motorhome male 240v hook up socket has got bad connection ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks I did this and they work sometimes! I think the motorhome male 240v hook up socket has got bad connection ?
Its quite likely ours did earlier this year check the pins on the female socket on the motorhome for signs of arcing from a bad connection the male plug can be replaced fairly easily

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There's lots of these apparently stupid questions. A few weeks ago I was asked for help to open the locking cap on the fresh water tank. As we all know, there's a definite method to it that they needed to know, and they only need showing once.

I just think that these people could probably put in an IV line without a fuss or translate a sales contract into six different languages but if they don't have that specific know-how, they are stuck. It's an honour to help them.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Re the ehu socket, recently i was asked to look at a ehu cable that could not be released from the side of the van. So they had just put the whole cable in through the window and drove home!
They had been so keen to get everything on "free" electric that they had overloaded the line socket into the hook up unit. When you looked at the end of the plug in the wall, the pins had welded themselves to the line socket

Sorry about the typeface!! Odd!!

Mike

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
On our boat we have a 13amp socket tester plug
(£6 on ebay) plugged into a socket so that you can tell at a glance if the hook up is working (or in Greece wired up backwards, no earth etc etc !!!)
Might be a handy trick for some sites ?
We also have a short hook up plug to 240 extension socket lead so that we can put the tester in that and check the socket on the post.
However on a boat people cause lots of hook up supply failures by taking their cable to the pillar, plugging it in and then dropping the end in the sea whilst trying to plug the live end into the plug on the back of the boat, I’ve yet to see anyone fall in whilst holding on to the lead but its got to have happened !

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that could be a loose wire in the trailing socket, a loose wire behind the inlet of the van or a damaged trailing socket

Upvote 0

Syl

Free Member
Dec 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Thanks The Who, I think you could be right, I will check this tomorrow! One other question please? Does the Hook up charge the Engine Battery ?

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Thanks The Who, I think you could be right, I will check this tomorrow! One other question please? Does the Hook up charge the Engine Battery ?
that varies from van to van if the c on your profile means cathargo probably if it stands for commer probably not

Upvote 0

Syl

Free Member
Dec 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Thanks for the help. when I move the socket I can hear staic, so it is not making good connection . I think the male hook up on the Mororhome needs replacing? Are they all the same? because not sh]ure what kind to order if they are not the same fit?

Upvote 0

Syl

Free Member
Dec 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Pilote 87, Thanks for that, Crewe, Cheshire

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just read this thread and noticed reference to a Volt Stick, something I’ve never previously heard of. What is it , how does it work , where can I buy one and at what cost? Excuse my ignorance, I’m fairly new to this wonderful Moho life, and would be seriously disadvantaged without being a member of this great group. Thanks in advance for advice.

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Just read this thread and noticed reference to a Volt Stick, something I’ve never previously heard of. What is it , how does it work , where can I buy one and at what cost? Excuse my ignorance, I’m fairly new to this wonderful Moho life, and would be seriously disadvantaged without being a member of this great group. Thanks in advance for advice.

Here ya go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kewtech-...249512?hash=item417f1976e8:g:wZIAAOSwHNxZ8E-o

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back