On Board Camping and Best Destination (1 Viewer)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Morning team!

Still thinking about Greece for winter. Trying to find details but only have my phone to search and I'm finding it challenging so hope you can help.

I was going to take the ferry from Ancona but can't find out when the onboard camping finishes. I'd like to go as late as possible in October.

And, not knowing Greece I don't know what destination is better for me - Patra or Igoumenitsa?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Available 1st April - 31st October.
https://www.superfast.com/adriatiki/en/for-passengers/camping-on-board.html

I think the cost to Patras or Igoumenitsa is the same so I would say disembark at Igoumenitsa and explore Northern Greece first. If you then fancy going to one of the islands you can make your way to Piraeus for another ferry. Crete is likely to have the best weather in winter, although Jan/Feb can sometimes be chilly, but nowhere near as chilly as the U.K.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Additional info: Camping on Board with Anek/Superfast means you stay overnight in your own van and have use of all the facilities. C on B with Minoan means you have to sleep in a cabin. Our preference is always Anek/Superfast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The south coast of Crete has generally much better weather than the north coast. We've had a few non-MH holidays on Crete - on the north coast every time as we are slow learners. :)

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks all. Just what I needed to know.

Next job is to search out some blogs from others who have done the same!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Talk to Viamare they will get you the best deal on ferries to Greece and will advise on all the discounts avalible.
We used Miloan Lines from Ancona, they don't do camping on deck but do a camer package that gives you a free cabin and 30% off meals.
We didn't do the winter but went in Sept/Oct 2015 this was out trip.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
We used Miloan Lines from Ancona, they don't do camping on deck but do a camer package that gives you a free cabin and 30% off meals

Do you know how this works if you're travelling with a dog? Are there on board kennels?

The draw for me of camping on board Ian that I can stay with my dog.

Thanks for the advice re Vilamare and also for the link. Will take a look now.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Morning team!

Still thinking about Greece for winter. Trying to find details but only have my phone to search and I'm finding it challenging so hope you can help.

I was going to take the ferry from Ancona but can't find out when the onboard camping finishes. I'd like to go as late as possible in October.

And, not knowing Greece I don't know what destination is better for me - Patra or Igoumenitsa?
Very wet in northern Greece late sept early oct,, BUSBY..

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Do you know how this works if you're travelling with a dog? Are there on board kennels?

The draw for me of camping on board Ian that I can stay with my dog.

Thanks for the advice re Vilamare and also for the link. Will take a look now.
Book camping on board with Anek/Superfast and your dog stays in your van with you. If you book with Minoan the doggie has to go in their kennels. They're a lot better than some I've seen on ferries but why would you want to put them in the kennels if you can have them in your van?
@DBK Is quite right about the south of Crete vs the North - very different climates.

Reactions: DBK

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Picked up a french Motorhome mag. on our latest trip and it gave the details of a firm or two in France that might be of help, specifically with regard to the Italian route to Greece. I'll dig out the article for you.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Book camping on board with Anek/Superfast and your dog stays in your van with you. If you book with Minoan the doggie has to go in their kennels. They're a lot better than some I've seen on ferries but why would you want to put them in the kennels if you can have them in your van?

That's exactly why I asked I don't want to put the dog in kennels unless it was absolutely necessary.

Thanks for weather info. I'm thinking I'll start in the south and work my way up as the weather improves.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
A lot of people seem to stay on campsites. Are there aires and is wild camping tolerated out of season? I read that @Lenny HB had managed some wild camping. Was that in the south Lenny?

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
You can go 'Camping all inclusive' with Minoan (Van plugged in on deck but stay in cabin and 30% discount on meals)all year and also specify a pet friendly cabin for an extra €25 each way but those cabins will probably be in high demand I would imagine.
But if you're travelling before 31 Oct then Camping on Board with Anek/Superfast is the no brainer.

Mind you, camping on board is not always as romantic as everyone makes out, its luck of the draw where you get put on deck. We've had some memorable trips and equally some not so good ones camping on deck.
Don't mean to put you off but just needs mentioning.

Pete

Reactions: DBK
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
A lot of people seem to stay on campsites. Are there aires and is wild camping tolerated out of season? I read that @Lenny HB had managed some wild camping. Was that in the south Lenny?

Camping off grid is not a problem, especially out of season.
Click on the link in my signature block. ;)

Pete

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
You can go 'Camping all inclusive' with Minoan (Van plugged in on deck but stay in cabin and 30% discount on meals)all year and also specify a pet friendly cabin for an extra €25 each way but those cabins will probably be in high demand I would imagine.
But if you're travelling before 31 Oct then Camping on Board with Anek/Superfast is the no brainer.

Mind you, camping on board is not always as romantic as everyone makes out, its luck of the draw where you get put on deck. We've had some memorable trips and equally some not so good ones camping on deck.
Don't mean to put you off but just needs mentioning.

Pete

Thank you!

I don't mind where I am on the deck. It's only the convenience of having the hound with me that interests me. And, with regard to unromantic locations, I always take the view that when my curtains are closed I'm already home so outside doesn't matter so much. . :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Picked up a french Motorhome mag. on our latest trip and it gave the details of a firm or two in France that might be of help, specifically with regard to the Italian route to Greece. I'll dig out the article for you.

Here you go. Euromer & Ciel Voyages France.
Email: maritime2@euromer.net or
Internet: euromer.net.

I've not tried them but the more opportunity for a lower price, the better.
I'm sure an enquiry dubbed into french by Google would get you a reasonable response.

Here's another, this time in Greece.
www.pelopos-tour.com or
pelopostour@gmail.com

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you have a read of thread I linked to in post #7 it gives all the places we stopped at. Mostly northern central Greece & the Peloponnese.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
If you have a read of thread I linked to in post #7 it gives all the places we stopped at. Mostly northern central Greece & the Peloponnese.
I seem to be being incredibly dense this morning. All I can see in post 7 is your reply

'Acona to Patras ferry on Wendsday'

Please would you help me further?

Sounds like you had a good trip. Lovely thread with lots of info. Thanks.

ETA

I see what you mean now - I was being dense.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I seem to be being incredibly dense this morning. All I can see in post 7 is your reply

'Acona to Patras ferry on Wendsday'

Please would you help me further?

Sounds like you had a good trip. Lovely thread with lots of info. Thanks.

ETA

I see what you mean now - I was being dense.
:):):)

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Additional info: Camping on Board with Anek/Superfast means you stay overnight in your own van and have use of all the facilities. C on B with Minoan means you have to sleep in a cabin. Our preference is always Anek/Superfast.
Hi @The Dude when camping on board is this on the deck or in the bowels of the ship? We're hoping to go to Greece in April.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
We are booked to cross over mid April and got a good deal with Minoan lines but you do have to stop in a cabin

Reactions: Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
We are booked to cross over mid April and got a good deal with Minoan lines but you do have to stop in a cabin
Thanks @abforfun..... we're just looking at booking now from Brindisi to Igoumenitsa beginning of May for a month. Crossing through the tunnel on April 9th and driving through France to the coast....not crossing the Alps as there's likely to be lots of snow about that early in the year.....we'll high tail across from France into Italy as that road is very boring and mostly through tunnels. We enjoy driving through France though we'll do it in a less leisurely manner than normal in order to be more leisurely through Italy to Brindisi where we have not taken the MH before though we have spent time at the lakes some years ago. What's your plan?

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Last year we camped on board with ANEK superfast Bari - Igoumenitsa ....

This was the view from our motorhome....

20170606_174801.jpg

20170606_173958.jpg

Pete

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Thanks @abforfun..... we're just looking at booking now from Brindisi to Igoumenitsa beginning of May for a month. Crossing through the tunnel on April 9th and driving through France to the coast....not crossing the Alps as there's likely to be lots of snow about that early in the year.....we'll high tail across from France into Italy as that road is very boring and mostly through tunnels. We enjoy driving through France though we'll do it in a less leisurely manner than normal in order to be more leisurely through Italy to Brindisi where we have not taken the MH before though we have spent time at the lakes some years ago. What's your plan?
Eurotunnel on 1st April, two weeks to get to Ancona stopping of at Lake Garda. Cross to Patras on 15th, tour round for a month then out of Igoumenitsa on 15th May and two weeks for leisurely ride back to tunnel on 30th. Our friends staying in France an extra 7-10 days to do war related things

Reactions: Pia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back