LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have manged to get a wrinkle in the canopy of our awning which has cracked the material. No mater what we do we cannot stop it creasing as we wind it away. It starts off OK then creases about a 3rd of the way in.

I can get a replacement canopy from Primrose awnings, which will be both UV protected and waterproof but the fabric will be 20cm narrower than the original material. In other words our 4m awning will become 3.8m. Can anyone see this being a problem with how the mechanics will work?

Also as we haven't been able to work out how to stop the crease getting worse, I am a bit concerned that the new canopy will crease as well.
20170713_125348.jpg
20170713_125310.jpg

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
What about hillview? I'm sure they deal with omnistore.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Sometimes they have 2nd hand awnings for sale

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We had our fabric replaced at the Omnistor factory in Belgium a couple of years ago, we visited there and on our way back from Sweden. Camped up in their yard for the night. Dealt with promptly the next day. Because it was not shutting properly they also replaced the gearbox end. They charged €320.00 and that was for a 5.3 metre awning. Perhaps you can visit there on one of your jaunts.
We watched them replace it and it didn't seem an easy job, one we wouldn't attempt. They will probably sort out the creasing problem too. Can't fault the service we got. Oh by the way, they do not take card payments, cash only. ENglish spoken in the office, fitter no English.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We are in Portugal at the moment and do not have the contact details. We got them from Jock and Rita, they may be able to help.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi guys, I would be tempted to find out more about why it creased before replacing. It would crease if it was not winding in square ie one edge slipping or pulleys not in line. Could you give a bit more stiffness to the creases ( gaffer tape) and work out why it is happening first. If you need anything from U.K. Shipping to you, happy to help.( not a shipper just happy to post things for you!)
Good luck
Cheers Bernie

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When I suggested it was easy it meant that I found it easy. There are no complicated mechanisms and the fabric is held on the roller just as it's held to the front rail (which incidentally means it cannot slip). Once it is off the van it really is easy :).

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
£1800 for our 5.5m Omnistore fitted this year at Rose Awnings (y)

plus safari room o_O
Heck! I would rather have the thing removed than pay that.

I sometimes think these awnings are more trouble than they are worth. As @Carol once said (or at least I think is was her) they are in and out like a fiddlers elbow, slightest puff of wind and you are on tenterhooks - should we get it in, what's the weather going to do, let's get it in anyway, just in case!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi guys, I would be tempted to find out more about why it creased before replacing. It would crease if it was not winding in square ie one edge slipping or pulleys not in line. Could you give a bit more stiffness to the creases ( gaffer tape) and work out why it is happening first. If you need anything from U.K. Shipping to you, happy to help.( not a shipper just happy to post things for you!)
Good luck
Cheers Bernie
Thank you Bernie, that's really kind. I will try with some good old duck tape to see if that helps. It doesn't really matter what it looks like as it is wrecked now anyway. I think the whole thing needs to come off the van and have a jolly good service, something else for me to put on Colins to do list! (y)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Good luck getting it sorted guys. I know Colin has all the mechanical spares he needs, so you must have known it was the fabric that would be the problem.

I can recommend duct tape......got it on all 4 corners of our awning fabric, but not in the middle yet!!!!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Good luck getting it sorted guys. I know Colin has all the mechanical spares he needs, so you must have known it was the fabric that would be the problem.

I can recommend duct tape......got it on all 4 corners of our awning fabric, but not in the middle yet!!!!
You are not wrong. Our storage unit if half full of broken/spare bits of awning, but no fabric unfortunately.

I will post my attempts with the duck tape tomorrow.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Heck! I would rather have the thing removed than pay that.

I sometimes think these awnings are more trouble than they are worth. As @Carol once said (or at least I think is was her) they are in and out like a fiddlers elbow, slightest puff of wind and you are on tenterhooks - should we get it in, what's the weather going to do, let's get it in anyway, just in case!
If you always use storm straps you can leave it up until the flapping noise becomes unbearable. I have had mine out for the last 8 days and nights.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If you always use storm straps you can leave it up until the flapping noise becomes unbearable. I have had mine out for the last 8 days and nights.
Yes, and we had storm straps on them at the last Bring and Buy Sale at Wrenbury when the infamous storm struck which compressed the awning allowing the crappy storm straps (we had at the time) to release and the awning started to take off. Which resulted in me sprinting down the field with all the Hen Night gubbins that the lovely @Ambilkate et al, had dressed me in, flying off down the field, loss me vail and shot glasses as I went and just caught the sodding awning as it lifted of the ground, much to the amusement for the folk that were crammed in @Jims van having a good laugh at me!!! I believe Jim thought it was the time for a photo rather than come and help me .  :rolleyes::sneaky:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Friends of ours had a crease right down the middle of their awning, when we wound it right out the sheet had started to come unstuck from the end tape so this might have been the cause of the problem but not sure, we stuck it back and wound it in so not sure if it is any better.

Martin

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Friends of ours had a crease right down the middle of their awning, when we wound it right out the sheet had started to come unstuck from the end tape so this might have been the cause of the problem but not sure, we stuck it back and wound it in so not sure if it is any better.

Martin
So, really Martin as your post has no conclusion to it, it is therefore, as helpful as a chocolate fireguard, but I appreciate it non the less. :RollEyes::lips:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I think you are correct and summed it up perfectly a few posts back when you said'' sometimes I think they are more trouble than they are worth''

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If ours didn't come with the mh I really don't think I'd buy one

Agree entirely, a plus point for me when looking at used vans is not to have an awning, of course you wouldn't tell that to the seller;), even look a little disappointed and comment that its a shame no awning.

What a bloody dishonest crook I am.:LOL:

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
We had our fabric replaced at the Omnistor factory in Belgium a couple of years ago, we visited there and on our way back from Sweden. Camped up in their yard for the night. Dealt with promptly the next day. Because it was not shutting properly they also replaced the gearbox end. They charged €320.00 and that was for a 5.3 metre awning. Perhaps you can visit there on one of your jaunts.
We watched them replace it and it didn't seem an easy job, one we wouldn't attempt. They will probably sort out the creasing problem too. Can't fault the service we got. Oh by the way, they do not take card payments, cash only. ENglish spoken in the office, fitter no English.
Hi Sundowners.
Can you remember where in Belgium you had your awning canvas replaced. The Have tried finding them without much luck. An address of contact info would be great if you still have it.
Cheers PaulandChrissy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back