Omnistor Awning wont retract (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Only just joined the forum so please excuse the sudden request for help, there is no panic, we dont leave this site to reurn to UK until Tuesday so I have all of tomorrow to pack up and put the awning away!

Unfortunatley it wont retract.
It hadnt been used for some time and I unrolled it in heavy rain on Thursday, put it away wet.
Today I got it out to dry it it off and it just wont retract.
As you turn the handle it feels like a slipping clutch, clicking away.
I have tried a spray on the sliders but we are literally a bit stuck for a solution.

Thanking everyone in advance

Mike & ann

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
if all else fails I was amazed to find ours was only held in place by the self tapper screws underneath, remove those, get someone to help at other end, awning off, leave beside bins, depart for home, buy new one (y)

unless of course someone else has a solution

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
With the aid of a pole, or a person on a step ladder, can you raise the awning so it's level? To take the weight off it before winding?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Thank you Roger, that might help as it was use with the legs very low to help it to drain in the heavy rain, there isalsoa man onsite with aldder so I might be avle to better idea ifIcan see exactlywhats going on. For now Ican do anything until the morning and I wont het any brownie points unless I fullfill the washing uop duty first thing

Mike

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I have recently had problems with my Omnistor in that the plastic casing which surrounds the bevel gearbox, which the winding handles goes into, was smashed. I had to buy a new gearbox complete with plastic casing for about £50

I can only assume that your gearbox has sheared inside, so that you are turning the handle, but it is not winding the awning in. If you look at the roller end you might be able to see that the output from the gearbox is not rotating

As suggested if you take the weight off it you might be able to wind it in. If you removed the gearbox off you could wind it in with a spanner

I still have the gearbox if that is what it comes down to

Last edited:

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
This is the type of gearbox. Winding handle fits into bottom and the awning roller fits into the square. The fitting on the bottom that the handle fits into also has pin holding it onto the shaft - that pin could have sheared

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 110

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
If you get the awning back in place I would tie it with plastic cable ties or wire, as the gearbox is what stops it unwinding itself out

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If gearbox has sheared you can remove it and then use a socket and ratchet on square end to wind it back in until a new gearbox is obtained. As @Clickem said it will have to be cable tied though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back