Omnister electric awning. (1 Viewer)

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
on Île-de-Re at the moment and went to take in Omnister 800 electric awning, remote lighting up but nothing happening , a trip switch has engaged and won’t go back also 3 pin sockets by bed not working but everything else is .
Tried to bring in manually but when you take off small cap there is nothing there so took off end cap and apart from a posh Allen key and nowhere to put it. On winding handle diagram just says to put it in the hole but nothing there. Obviously a electrical problem but just want to wind in for now. Removed one screw from other end but cap not shifting and no small cap to remove anyway.
Any help appreciated!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looks like you stick it in underneath one of the ends

upload_2018-4-22_21-2-17.png

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Its an electric one MG

It almost certainly must be a fuse with the other sockets going as well, but the Allen key must fit somewhere you would presume??

Do you have instructions

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’ve sent you some e-mails phil...

Let me know you’ve got them.... 3off

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its an electric one MG

It almost certainly must be a fuse with the other sockets going as well, but the Allen key must fit somewhere you would presume??

Do you have instructions
I assumed they still had the standard 'manual' slot underneath ... oh well.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This may help..it shows the fancy Allen key goes in from the top

That looks a nice easy 'unhelpful' location when you are in a crisis already

My awning is 3m off the ground, to get on top of it would need a ladder which we don't carry o_O

thankfully ours is a manual wind version but what a bonkers design

Just a thought though, these only work if mains is connected, you haven't tripped the post I suppose?

Oh that it could be that simple (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
That looks a nice easy 'unhelpful' location when you are in a crisis already

My awning is 3m off the ground, to get on top of it would need a ladder which we don't carry o_O

thankfully ours is a manual wind version but what a bonkers design

Just a thought though, these only work if mains is connected, you haven't tripped the post I suppose?

Oh that it could be that simple (y)

Yes, I would not be able to wind it in, and I’m told it can take a very long time to wind it in with the Allen key...

A fuse has gone somewhere and that will need hunting down but I’ve sent Phil the manuals I had for mine via email..... I suspect he’s busy winding it in for the night...

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You have to disconnect the wires from the motor before retracting manually

OP
OP
Rapphil
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Thanks Gary, got your mails and the above post seems to be the answer, will try when it’s light tomorrow , only saying the other day didn’t know why I brought those collapsible ladders! At least I just want to retract the awning but like you @Minxy Girl I was expecting a winder socket as well, I do have a winder with the vehicle with that diagram on so may have been from previous fitting. Wouldn’t choose electrical awning what’s wrong with a few turns of a handle! I also don’t have to slide out the back window like @ Southdowner.
Week started with having to have 2 new batteries and so missing ferry so hope it gets better.
Thanks so much for your help, will keep you posted .

OP
OP
Rapphil
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
No fuse listed but trip switch activated and won’t go back,,would you have fuse as well as tripswitch .
@Robert Clark do you really have to disconnect wires, if it’s not connected via trip would that be enough?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Let’s hope you can get it wound in, that’s a pain about the batteries let’s hope you find the blown fuse and your holiday gets better and have some fun..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No fuse listed but trip switch activated and won’t go back,,would you have fuse as well as tripswitch .
@Robert Clark do you really have to disconnect wires, if it’s not connected via trip would that be enough?
You have to disconnect the motor as it’s incorporated into the winding mechanism
Winding manually without disconnecting the wiring will cause damage
I’ve got the instructions in my van if you want me to take a pic in the morning

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I wonder if the awning being put out has caught a wire and is shorting out somewhere, hence the trip not wanting to go back..?

I’m not good with electrics.....(n)

OP
OP
Rapphil
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
I wonder if the awning being put out has caught a wire and is shorting out somewhere, hence the trip not wanting to go back..?

I’m not good with electrics.....(n)
Nor me Gary, it does seem it is wired in with two sockets at the sides of the bed as they are the only other thing not working and cant think they would have shorted, only tried a phone in them realised they were not working ,this was after awning went out and then realised it was awning as well.

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
On my similar system the 240v motor is powered from an inverter.
Is it possible that both your awning and the two bedside sockets are powered from an inverter, which could have it's own trip switch or fuse?

OP
OP
Rapphil
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
On my similar system the 240v motor is powered from an inverter.
Is it possible that both your awning and the two bedside sockets are powered from an inverter, which could have it's own trip switch or fuse?
Have a Mastervolt combined invertor charger which seems to be working okay powering other things, they did have to move it to replace the batteries behind at the beginning of week but all okay since then and awning did go out okay. Thanks for thought.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Here’s the correct manual for the 8000, it states that there should be a 6amp fuse fitted but where is anybody’s guess, something is not allowing you to re-set the trip switch, you put the awning out but it may not be the awning that’s the problem, it just so happens to be on the same circuit as the bedroom plugs so be sure to rule out a problem elsewhere before dismantling the awning.....

Hope you get it sorted easily..

https://cdn1.static-tgdp.com/assetloader.axd?pimid=383400xx&id=5AP903-03&brand=Thule&market=GB&att=1

OP
OP
Rapphil
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Well the latest is got it retracted manually by Garry’s drawings , I had some of these but stupidly thought the Allen key was for maybe levelling awning up when retracting. Last night a French neighbour and myself couldn’t seem to get it to work but the key has to be waddled down into top hole fully then slowly turn, the one that was in the awning had a loop on the top so you could turn with tool. Thanks Garry.
@Robert Clark thanks for sending copies but that doesn’t apply to the model I have and incorporates a winder.
Continuing south probably Capbreton but so relieved awning is in and unless in right place for dealer will continue without facilities of awning. Will phone Southdowns to see if they can enlighten me on fuse later.
Thanks all.

OP
OP
Rapphil
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Spoke to Andy at Southdowns have turned everything off and reset trip switch then switched items back on bit by bit and everything working, even the plugs by bed, but not tried awning, Andy said it could be wiring or even a motor so won’t know until it’s looked at. Where it shows a fuse in diagram this he said is the trip switch, maybe a translation issue, or our model.Thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back