Jul 7, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Lancashire
Exp
New to it all!
Hi all.

We have a 2011 Autosleeper Lancashire with a troublesome step. All was working fine until yesterday when the step wouldn't retract. It comes out fine when pressing the button, but just won't go back - there's a clicking sound. Also, when you start the engine, the buzzer should sound and the step retracts, but this now doesn't happen. You can push it back in by hand, but I am a bit concerned about damaging something by doing this.

Mr Bill has been underneath and cleaned out all the bits and bobs, and has also given everything a liberal coating with WD40, but it still doesn't work. He has also checked all the fuses, i.e., in the engine, both door pillars and the electrical box thingy in the cupboard, but with no joy. I am thinking though that if it was a fuse, it wouldn't work at all, and if it was the switch, then again, it wouldn't work at all?

Is there something simple we are missing?

Thanks.

Mrs Bill

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
check the switch at the rear of the step as if its stuck that would explain why the buzzer dont work and maybe why the step wont go in ( as it thinks its already in )

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Ours recently became temperamental in the same way and since it didn't feel particularly safe anyway, we bought a new double step from Aldi, £14.99, and it feels much safer. I notice that a lot of people don't seem to use their omnistor step and have done what we have. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ours just stops sometimes, in or out. The wiring to the step is exposed to some horrible conditions. If like mine you'll see a couple of spade like connections that need cleaning from time to time. Do that and I'm sure it wil work again:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Mine usually stops working after the winter lay up.

I find a damn good smack with a hammer usually makes it work for the summer.

Basic but effective

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, I had similar prob with the one on my 2011 Autocruise Starfire it turned out that most of the internal electrics were done by a company called Sargent , it turn out that a fuse in the control panel had blown , got it sorted under warrantee with Swift. If your control panel is made by Sargent give them a ring ask for Clive he sorted several probs that we had over the phone. Terry:thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The step is raised and lowered by a square drive. If it has worn or has been damaged the step can go out assisted by gravity, but the drive slips as it tries to retract hense the clicking sound as the square fails to grip. Pushing it help.

I speak from experience having clipped my step two weeks ago. It was left out and the buzzer failed. It was only sand on the side of the track it hit, but it wrote off the mechanism.

New step about £370 for a an omnistep double from O'Learys. An expensive error.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back