Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Pretty much got the hang of it now!
Hi All
The Omnistep on my Autotrail Dakota SE 2003 is playing up again. Step moves in and out fine using the buttons and the alarm now sounds when the engine starts but the step stays out and doesn't retract. Been told it is most likely the relay in the EM 50 control unit. According to the advice (thanks Sargent) I have so far, this is apparently behind the driver's seat. This is the location on FIAT Ducato chassis but mine is on a Mercedes 316 and it aint there! I have taken out the drivers seat and looked everywhere else in cupboards etc under the bonnet , dash, in fuse boxes etc etc. Now me thinks, does it actually have an EM50 fitted or not??? If not then where on earth is the relay??????
All advice and thoughts gratefully received yet again!!
Paul

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi All. Problem solved so here is the solution for anyone else with an older Merc based Autotrail. Mine is a Dakota but it might be applicable to other models and possibly FIAT-based ones of a similar age. I believe up to 2005/6 (?) the step does not have an EM50 control box at all. So no use looking for it behind the drivers seat!! The Omnistep control relay (s?) are located inside the engine compartment just above the battery along with associated fuses. (The fridge may operate on 12v by one of these too but that's one for another investigation!) The relays are standard 4 - pin available at £4 a go on ebay or Amazon! Much cheaper than the bespoke 5-pin at £15 + as advertised at some motorhome spares places. I discovered that the relay that retracted the step on start up had burnt out contacts on the 87 - 30 load circuit. Once the relay had been replaced, the step and alarm worked as they should- sorted!!! Autotrail weren't much help, they just sent me a circuit diagram which didn't show the physical location. I just love the hole made in the sound -proofing and a cable tie used to secure the relay holder - Messers Bodge & Fudge at work again!! What would we do without cable ties???
relays.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
The step out warning alarm only sounds if the control panel is switched (top left push button)on so I found out. No blue LEDs on = no alarm- Simples!!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back