Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
I have a Fiat autotrail arapaho and the Omnistep has a life of its own. Mostly it doesn't retract as it should and when you start the engine there's on stop beeping which we've been told is because the step isn't working. I have had a look around, wd40'd everything and read past posts about this subject but can't see any switch. The only thing which I can see is as the attached photos - there are two wires going into this thing which is lit up, but the wires don't connect to anything and don't look like they're meant to. I have no idea what this is, whether it's some sort of fuse?

The manual just tells me to explore the issue.

Alternatively is there somewhere that can fix this? We are in valencia, heading to barcelona probably on Wednesday.

Thanks, Emma

Attachments

• 20170225_151153.jpg
    20170225_151153.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 232
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
If your picture is underneath the step and the wires don't connect to anything, where's the light coming from? Is it just daylight showing through the housing?

If so, is the switch missing; has it fallen out?

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
When ours went wrong on our Bessacarr E450 (2011 model) I stripped it completely and found everything to be in order. Ours turned out to be the Sargent electrical control box, we also had problems with it telling us the water tank was empty when it wasn't.
Not a diy thing for me, so had it mended by Sargent for ÂŁ75. I took it out and sent it to them. Not saying yours will be the same problem, plus I don't know if you have a Sargent control unit but I spent a long time faffing around stripping and cleaning to no end. Sargent were brilliant and the unit came back completely renewed, not just mended. Worked perfectly after that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If your van has a newer type Sargent control panel, press the up and down arrows to enter the set up mode. Scroll through the options till you reach the step. There will be a number next to it (eg: say 28) increase this and the step should function correctly

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not sure but the light looks like it could be a side marker light (sorry if I'm being stupid) you should find a push contact switch like an old car door light switch at the back of the step possibly inside a plastic housing, this has to make when the step goes back so if its not contacting the alarm will sound. When ours was playing up it was just a corroded pop rivet that held the cable to the switch.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a Fiat autotrail arapaho and the Omnistep has a life of its own. Mostly it doesn't retract as it should and when you start the engine there's on stop beeping which we've been told is because the step isn't working. I have had a look around, wd40'd everything and read past posts about this subject but can't see any switch. The only thing which I can see is as the attached photos - there are two wires going into this thing which is lit up, but the wires don't connect to anything and don't look like they're meant to. I have no idea what this is, whether it's some sort of fuse?

The manual just tells me to explore the issue.

Alternatively is there somewhere that can fix this? We are in valencia, heading to barcelona probably on Wednesday.

Thanks, Emma
Oh yes, floppy step syndrome!
Of course I could not say 100% but certainly 99% !!

It will be a faulty em50 unit.
Mine is located under the bench seat directly below the Sargent main controller.
I stripped every component from mine, replaced the TTL chips etc etc all to no avail.
Ended up returning it to Sargent who replaced the whole thing.. Seems there was a fault on thee actual PCB.
It is easy enough to remove and refit, if you take. Couple of pictures of it first to be sure you get all the plugs in the right place.
Sargent turned the box around in three days for me.. Excellent service to say the least.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If your picture is underneath the step and the wires don't connect to anything, where's the light coming from? Is it just daylight showing through the housing?

If so, is the switch missing; has it fallen out?

:) I think thats one of the orange side marker lights... Nothing to do with the step at all..

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not sure but the light looks like it could be a side marker light (sorry if I'm being stupid)
That would make two of us if you were Martin (and I know you're not ;) ), as I thought the same when I saw the photo.

If your van has a newer type Sargent control panel, press the up and down arrows to enter the set up mode. Scroll through the options till you reach the step. There will be a number next to it (eg: say 28) increase this and the step should function correctly
That is interesting, and although I don't have a Sargent system or know anything about them, it certainly sounds worth a try, from what you describe. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I was gonna say that yesterday (looks like a side marker light switch) but feared being ridiculed, i would love to know where the switch is for our step - cant find the bloody thing anywhere - good luck in sorting out yours

OP
OP
N

NeilEmma

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
OK thank you everyone! I cannot find a switch anywhere under the step, I've had a good search for it. I've scrolled through the Sargent control and it does not have a set up option, just things like set timer. Says it's a Sargent III. I don't know what the em50 is?

OP
OP
N

NeilEmma

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
I am in valencia the only people I have found who do repairs say they don't know what to do!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OK thank you everyone! I cannot find a switch anywhere under the step, I've had a good search for it. I've scrolled through the Sargent control and it does not have a set up option, just things like set timer. Says it's a Sargent III. I don't know what the em50 is?
Do you have this plastic box on your step, if yes the switch is inside if not "sorry I'm out"

IMG_0323.JPG

Martin

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We had a fiat ducato with a step problem.
(I also know slightly less than the average person)
Our control unit (for want of a better phrase) was within a white plastic housing and contained an electric circuit board.
This was located behind the fridge and in the fridge vent area void.
Occasionally i have been caught doing what the wife has requested, no, told me to do and i have washed the van.
I used a hose to wash it down.
The first time i managed to soak the electric board i managed to get my Phd electronic engineer students to earn a bottle of french wine.
The second occasion (I know i know) i realised my error early on took it out and used the rice to soak it up.
This cured it.
So, are you guilty of washing your van recently with a hose or can this possibility be negated?

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Sorry to be negative, but I gave up on my retracting step and now use a caravan step instead. I have a notice on the gear stick telling me, "don't forget the step," on one side, and "the aerial's up" on the other side. So far I've only lost one step and no smashed aerial.

OP
OP
N

NeilEmma

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
Certainly haven't washed the van!

Whilst we would be happy to ignore the step in favour of a manual, the van beeps for the first 20 minutes of driving it so something needs to be done.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Certainly haven't washed the van!

Whilst we would be happy to ignore the step in favour of a manual, the van beeps for the first 20 minutes of driving it so something needs to be done.
I certainly couldn't ignore the inoperative step, and replace it with a portable one (especially long term), nor could I ignore the constant audible warning, indicating that something wasn't right. :(
I'd have to sort it out for myself, as well as for the next owner of the MH. (y) I couldn't sell it on with a fault like that. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
N

NeilEmma

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
Yep, that's why I'm posting, I've tried a few local companies who said they don't know and my husband and I just don't have the technical ability ourselves. Will have to keep trying to find someone on our travels, Barcelona next so fingers crossed we can find someone there.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
the van beeps for the first 20 minutes of driving
fairly certain your step will have a switch somewhere operated by the step linkages.. the beeping will be because your step is not fully retracted and that switch isn't been operated..
when my step broke i had a similar problem with a buzzer sounding.. (fortunately my hearing is poor to high frequency noises so i couldn't hear it :LOL: ) you may be able to try assisting the step into the fully closed position and tying it up there if that solves the beeping..
andy.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
fairly certain your step will have a switch somewhere operated by the step linkages.. the beeping will be because your step is not fully retracted and that switch isn't been operated..
when my step broke i had a similar problem with a buzzer sounding.. (fortunately my hearing is poor to high frequency noises so i couldn't hear it :LOL: ) you may be able to try assisting the step into the fully closed position and tying it up there if that solves the beeping..
andy.
That's what we've done, tied it up. We use a step but won't be selling the van until it dies of old age.

OP
OP
N

NeilEmma

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
We nabbed a caravan repair guy who was on site as we were leaving today (he had previously said over the phone he wouldn't be able to help). He said the motor is cracked and needs replacing, which we can do when we get to Barcelona. He also managed to stop the beeping for us. Thanks everyone for your replies, very excited to soon have a step that works!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back