dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Our electric step has suffered a snapped rivet on the side arm. Omnistore (thule) sell a "rivet repair kit" which includes various washers, bolts etc.

IMG_20160904_134419994_HDR.jpg

Has anyone tried this option for repairing the step - how easy was it to drill out the old rivet to install the new parts?

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
If it is a rivet, then old pin should drift out, i,m assuming head has broken off hence loose arm.

Reactions: dna
OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
The price of the kit is eye watering which is why I wondered if anyone had used it.

Unfortunately the part of the rivet in the arm I'm holding in the picture is very firmly fixed. The other part knocked out easily but this one will need drilling out. Other web comments suggest the same so it will be out with a drill at some point and then finding the right sized bolt.

Thanks to you all for your help.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
2 man job , but try holding a socket behind arm, then drift pin out

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
...or use some 2 legged pulley pullers if you know anyone with some ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I repaired one successfully with a mushroom head stainless steel bolt and nylock nut with a nylon washer between the arms. had to drill out the rivet. cost under £1 and took about 15 minutes kneeling in the rain on a campsite

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Thanks everyone for the advice which gave me the confidence to give it a go - part one of the job is done, I've drilled out the rivet ok. Just need the nylock nuts to arrive tomorrow and the job can be finished.

@TheBig1 I'm very impressed you had all the bits and bobs and a drill with you to do this on a campsite. :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My Mrs us always complaining I carry too much crap, But she is always pleased when I repair stuff straight away. The bolt I used was way too long, but you use what you have to hand. Took a grinder to it at home to tidy up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The broken end taps out and you can replace with a bolt and locking nut. Our old vans step broke and we sorted it this way.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Just done a search for broken Omnistor step rivet and found this thread. I know it's old but the info is still good. Thanks everyone.
I fell backwards out of the van and onto the step which caused the rivet/bolt to snap.
It connects the side arm to the step tread.
I couldn't have sawn it as straight as the snap if I had tried!
Both rivets are secured in the holes so will drill/grind out.

I'll look at taking the whole step off and bringing it home to have a look at replacing with a coach bolt or decide on the £25 replacement rivet.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The step on ours creaks from that area when you stand on it. It will be a workshop job. The last thing I need is for management to break another ankle for the sake of a bit of sussing and boggling. As said a decent size bolt and lock nut and maybe washers between the arm and the step. Of course both sides will need sorting.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
So, I visited the van in storage today with a view to removing the step and bringing it home complete to strip down and clean and repair the sheared rivet.
Unfortunately, the 13mm nuts securing the step frame to the underside of the body, one of the bolts was turning when trying to un-do the nut.
So, rather than create a whole new problem, I decided to tighten all of the securing nuts back up and leave it in situ.
I managed to get the rivet out of the side step arm, but couldn't get the remains out of the side support bracket.
I tried hammering it out but didn't want to sprain the bracket.
So, all have to re-visit with a view to drilling it out.

Out of interest, if you look at the bottom photo of the two securing bolts which hold the step frame to the body, you'll notice a black plastic cover which protects the step motor.
There was 4 x phillips screws which I removed, thinking that these held the plastic cover in place with a view to unplugging the electrical feed to the step.
However, after removing, I still couldn't remove the plastic cover.
I also tried to un-do the bolt sat proud on a nylon spacer, but this did not fully un-do and still the cover would not come off.
however, on studying the photo, I've seen two more small phillips screws above the bolt - are these the ones securing the cover?

If I was to remove the step from the van, how can this cover be removed so that the electrics can be unplugged?
Has anyone done this on theirs?
Thanks
Gav

IMG_6538.jpg
IMG_6537.jpg
IMG_6540.jpg
IMG_6536.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.