Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Hi all,
before i take to bits any thoughts ?

I replaced the leisure battery (see thread below) but other than that no other changes, it worked just fine before so thinking a big coincidence.
The mains invertor is turned off to let the leisure battery run down a bit so i can check its charging when i turn it back on but even with this turned on no joy but sure its on 12v anyway.

First the Omnistore blind died now the step, in future its Fiamma all the way.

Thanks in advance,

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I read somewhere about a separate fuse for the step somewhere, but my ages brain can't remember where! I'm sure a search would find it. That may have blown when messing with battery?
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thanks all.

Mine never went away when you drive off, yet should ?

Think the cab battery is much lower than it should be so have stuck on 240v for a charge.

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I found the sep' fuse under the drivers seat for the step.

It would work ok from the door switch but wouldnt retract when the engine was started. Replaced the fuse, bingo all ok again

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I found the sep' fuse under the drivers seat for the step.

It would work ok from the door switch but wouldnt retract when the engine was started. Replaced the fuse, bingo all ok again

Cheers never would have looked under there but i will now :thumb:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Step Problems

On my autotrail there is a fuse under the bonnet on the left side looking from the front
alan sorry I can see its sorted

Last edited:
OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On my autotrail there is a fuse under the bonnet on the left side looking from the front
alan sorry I can see its sorted

Thanks Alan, best i go fuse hunting !

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, I've got an Autocruise , also had step problem it turned out it had blown a fuse in the Sargent control panel on the wall , Ihad it done under warrantee,Don't know if Autotrail use Sargent equipment if so ring clive at Sargent he's very helpful.
Terry:sin:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi, I've got an Autocruise , also had step problem it turned out it had blown a fuse in the Sargent control panel on the wall , Ihad it done under warrantee,Don't know if Autotrail use Sargent equipment if so ring clive at Sargent he's very helpful.
Terry:sin:
Thanks Terry, yes it has a Sargent so will check there also :thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
have you got the wiring diagram? if not I can mail you a 2003 version

look under the bonnet top left as you look at the screen for the fuses theres two or three (depending on modle) iirc one for the fidge one for the lesuire battery and the step or the one with the brown/green is for the step

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
have you got the wiring diagram? if not I can mail you a 2003 version

look under the bonnet top left as you look at the screen for the fuses theres two or three (depending on modle) iirc one for the fidge one for the lesuire battery and the step or the one with the brown/green is for the step

Cheers for this i will have a look, looked earlier before your post and spotted a little 3 fuse, fuse holder with a plastic lid on fastened i think to the bottom of the battery tray ish, could that be it ?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Cheers for this i will have a look, looked earlier before your post and spotted a little 3 fuse, fuse holder with a plastic lid on fastened i think to the bottom of the battery tray ish, could that be it ?

yep trhats it

do you want the the wiring diagram?

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
yep trhats it

do you want the the wiring diagram?

Your a star i will pull them tomoz and check them out, thank you.

Re the diagram thanks but no thanks, have enough trouble understanding the Sunday Sport never mind wiring :ROFLMAO:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Your a star i will pull them tomoz and check them out, thank you.

Re the diagram thanks but no thanks, have enough trouble understanding the Sunday Sport never mind wiring :ROFLMAO:

remember theres a relay as well, Im not sure were its located but it might be stuck/faulty if its not the fuse

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Its worse than i thought, i put a meter on the cab battery and got 9v !!, turned on the 240v and no change aaaaarrrrgggggghhhh.

So the step probably is fine just needs juice but now the Gardener 2005 looks to be dead. The fuse on it is fine so god knows.

Checking the Gardener site they do a full fix for circa £70.00 so unless anybody has any ideas then i will go that route. In the meantime i will get the Cetek on the cab battery to get it charged and then see if the step works.

It never rains....................

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Cant find the edit for the above post, meant to say Sargent 2005 PSU.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
auto-trail

Hi, I notice that your door is just in front of the rear wheels, ours is the same and was surprised to find that there isn`t any protection for the step when retracted and your driving from the crap sprayed around from the rear wheel, the wiring, switch and step just get covered in what ever you drive through.

Not Auto-trails best design feature,something I mentioned to deaf ears at the Birmingham show.

I fitted a large mud flap in front of the rear wheels to protect step and wiring etc and it works a treat., maybe this idea will help others avoid non working and dirt covered steps.:thumb:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi there,
yes thats a good point but i think you mean crap from the front wheels as the step is in front of the rears ? Checking the rear wheel side of my step that seems ok but the front facing the front wheels oh lordy a mess.

It certainly needs something as at 70 on the motorway all manner of crud is going straight into the step.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Paul, please stop pannicing its not good for you,

1: If the battery is that low its possible the sargent unit may not be man enought to charge it and switching off because too much current is being drawn. Chargeing it with the ctec unit may bring the battery back up to charge, the sargent unit may then work to maintain that charge.

2: If you want to try it I have a spare sargent unit (long story) but whatever the outcome it would rule it out of the processe . Im away tomorrow but home sunday if you fancy a trip up the A1 to doncaster we can fit my spare into your van and see if it works and then you will know for sure yours needs replacing or not.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi there,
yes thats a good point but i think you mean crap from the front wheels as the step is in front of the rears ? Checking the rear wheel side of my step that seems ok but the front facing the front wheels oh lordy a mess.

It certainly needs something as at 70 on the motorway all manner of crud is going straight into the step.

Nope I meant the rear wheels our door is just in front of the rear wheels and all the crap comes off therear wheel and lands straight on top of the step, well until I fitted the mud guard, the front wheels don`t throw the dirt that far.

A genuine design fault by Auto-trail which I noticed on the new motorhomes at the show they still haven`t addressed, yet they claim to listen to their customers.
Also noticed that on the new Apache the gas locker front wall doesn`t have a sealed fit to the side of the van, we saw an Apache in a dealers showroom that had a good liberal amount of mud splashed all over the inside.
Another brilliant design fault, you would have thought the dealer would have cleaned that up a bit, it was the show model afterall.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Paul, please stop pannicing its not good for you,

1: If the battery is that low its possible the sargent unit may not be man enought to charge it and switching off because too much current is being drawn. Chargeing it with the ctec unit may bring the battery back up to charge, the sargent unit may then work to maintain that charge.

2: If you want to try it I have a spare sargent unit (long story) but whatever the outcome it would rule it out of the processe . Im away tomorrow but home sunday if you fancy a trip up the A1 to doncaster we can fit my spare into your van and see if it works and then you will know for sure yours needs replacing or not.

Ha ha love it.
No im fine thanks just a little frustrated as one thing after another but all good stuff.
OK step fine now as fuse was blown next to battery so thanks to you:thumb: for that i would have never of looked there.

My Cetek charger wont charge if the battery is to low so am guessing the Sargent is the same. I put a normal charger on the cab battery for 10 mins and then switched to the Cetek which is charging as we speak.Sometime tomorrow it will be fully charged and am then hopeing when i switch on the Sargent i get 13.5v.

The whole saga was caused by me not putting the RV on mains since September so lesson fully learned, there a bloke admitting to a fault whatever next.

Many thanks for your kind offer, maybe i can reciprocate one day.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
A genuine design fault by Auto-trail which I noticed on the new motorhomes at the show they still haven`t addressed, yet they claim to listen to their customers.
Also noticed that on the new Apache the gas locker front wall doesn`t have a sealed fit to the side of the van, we saw an Apache in a dealers showroom that had a good liberal amount of mud splashed all over the inside.
Another brilliant design fault, you would have thought the dealer would have cleaned that up a bit, it was the show model afterall.

All the above is pretty poor isnt it as when all said and done these RV's are not cheap and yet to fix what you correctly spotted is little short term but a lot long term.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back