Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Does anyone know if it would fit please?????? (n)
The Safari Room is designed to fit inside a caravan awning rail, and is very heavy. Also, the sides and front also weigh a ton. I think you would drag your f45 off the side of the van if you attempted to fit the Safari to your awning slide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tw1nklestar

tw1nklestar

Free Member
Sep 19, 2015
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Ok thanks for that. I'm confused now because I thought it was supposed to hang on the awning?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What you going on about Tootles ! LOLL !!
My Omnistore safari room weighs pretty much exactly the same as our Fiamma one !
But...

Pretty certain that without some work and getting hold of a couple of locating bracket things that Omnistore use it is not a totally straight forward fit

And yes, it does hang on the awning

Deleted User
I would agree with @Tootles about weight, I bought a second hand Omnistore 6002 a couple of years ago and adapted it to fit under the american canopy on our 5'er which is now permanently sited.

I would not consider carrying something of that weight whilst touring.

The variations in fixing brackets, heights etc would make it difficult to match up with another Omnistore awning let alone a Fiamma, not impossible but would certainly be a project.

I don't know how the Fiamma Safari Room is put together but my Omnistore has very substantial side members etc made of complicated aluminium sections.

OP
OP
tw1nklestar

tw1nklestar

Free Member
Sep 19, 2015
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Thanks jaws. I will probably have to pass on this then which is a shame it was so cheap it had to be too good to be true!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would agree with @Tootles about weight, I bought a second hand Omnistore 6002 a couple of years ago and adapted it to fit under the american canopy on our 5'er which is now permanently sited.

I would not consider carrying something of that weight whilst touring.

The variations in fixing brackets, heights etc would make it difficult to match up with another Omnistore awning let alone a Fiamma, not impossible but would certainly be a project.

I don't know how the Fiamma Safari Room is put together but my Omnistore has very substantial side members etc made of complicated aluminium sections.
Which is exactly the same as the Fiamma one !

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Thanks jaws. I will probably have to pass on this then which is a shame it was so cheap it had to be too good to be true!

How big was the Omnister Safari room? I have the Omnister 8000 awning which i believe is 5.5m long. Maybe looking for a safari room that fits(y)

Rob

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
On our last van we had a Fiamma end stopper which we attached to our Oministor 2000 series awning, the Fiamma was 2.5m, the Omnistor was 2.6m, but it fitted just fine. We then rigged up our own safari room using a discarded tent awning cut in half for the sides, with suitable loops and pins and some expanding washing line poles between the van and the end stopper. It was lighter than a plastic safari room and worked very well, though it did look a little Heath Robinson. We successfully used if for about 4 years.

Regarding the comment about the weight of the Safari room pulling off the awning, I don't see how that can happen, and in fact found that the fully pinned down end stopper meant we could leave the awning out in all weathers, with or without the sides, although to be sure we did take it down in some extreme storms. Friends of ours had a full Fiamma Safari room, and it seemed to us to be too much effort to put up, and too heavy to lug around, so they didn't use it much. I think that most Safari rooms suffer that fate.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Regarding the comment about the weight of the Safari room pulling off the awning, I don't see how that can happen
I can only tell you about the one we had for our tug. Threaded the 'bag' onto the caravan awning rail, which held the 'roof' of the Safari. When this was opened out, you then attached the sides and front. Now, if you discarded the 'bag' and the 'roof', there would be a possibility that you could slide the Safari front onto your wind out awning, (if of course it was the same length), then attach the sides using the Safari side poles. But here lies a problem, as the Safari (expandable) side poles are designed to fit into 'pockets' on the van side, which come attached to the original 'bag', which you wont be using. The outside of the expandable legs go onto fittings in the original Safari front legs, which you also aren't using, therefore I cant see how you could keep the sides fixed and secure?? As Matt saves, and I concur, the Safari panels are made of excellent material, but they are very heavy......So heavy in fact, that (personally) I wouldn't risk the weight on your wind out awning's legs, but hey, I stand to be proved wrong on that. However, an interesting experiment if you decide to buy. :)

OP
OP
tw1nklestar

tw1nklestar

Free Member
Sep 19, 2015
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Thanks everyone for your help. I have decided against buying. OH is not a keen enough traveller to be interested in making it work and also has zero patience! I really wanted something to put on the sides to make a shelter for rain and somewhere to dry the dog before going into the van. Now wondering if lilypad windblockers would do the trick?

Deleted User
The windblockers will provide partial protection but are not totally windproof or waterproof but do stop most of both.My solution would be to get hold of one of the Fiamma side panels and maybe windblockers for the front and/or the other side.

Incidentally this is a video of the assembly of an Omnistore awning and I think you will see the quantity and complexity of the 'ironwork' , a bit different to the type that @Tootles described which, I think, is a Bag awning or Fiamma Caravanstore. As @Jaws says the Fiamma Safari Room for the wind out awnings is very similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks everyone for your help. I have decided against buying. OH is not a keen enough traveller to be interested in making it work and also has zero patience! I really wanted something to put on the sides to make a shelter for rain and somewhere to dry the dog before going into the van. Now wondering if lilypad windblockers would do the trick?
How about looking at nets?? A doddle to put up and take down, windproof, and to a certain extent waterproof.........

http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/wind-blockers-turn-your-wind-out-canopy-into-an-awning-4183/

We got a set last year. Fantastic, and you can 'get them down' in a flash. :)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Nice vid that matamoros, I especially liked the way the sides attached to the roof and also the method of joining the sides to the front panel. Unfortunately the roof is still going to flog up and down in a strong wind as their is no method of attaching the roof to the extra roof support, which was a major failing on my Patti room for my RV. I had to take it down in a storm at 3 in the morning, in the pouring rain as it was threatening to tear its self loose from the RV. It went back in the bag and has never been used since.

Ian

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Weelllllll
Both the Omnistore and Fiamma units we have used were up in all weathers including a right hooley while in Spain a couple of years ago

The side arms keep the roof quite tight and with the inability of the wind to get IN the safari room there was never a problem
We have always used an extra security tie down strap over the wind out awning though, so perhaps that is the answer ? I have no idea as we never used one without the strap

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It might be better with a eurovan jaws as the awning is generally smaller, but in 3 years of fulltiming I never found an answer except to give up with the safari room. A 4x2.5m expanse of roof flogging up and down is not to be recommended.
I did buy a Kampa rally, but after 12 months the roof started to fall to pieces, I assume it didn't like the sunlight, and the poles rusted quite badly, so that didn't even make it back to the bag, but straight in the bin. The dealer informed me that they are not intended for fulltime use.

Ian

Deleted User
It might be better with a eurovan jaws as the awning is generally smaller, but in 3 years of fulltiming I never found an answer except to give up with the safari room. A 4x2.5m expanse of roof flogging up and down is not to be recommended.
I did buy a Kampa rally, but after 12 months the roof started to fall to pieces, I assume it didn't like the sunlight, and the poles rusted quite badly, so that didn't even make it back to the bag, but straight in the bin. The dealer informed me that they are not intended for fulltime use.

Ian

The Omnistore and Fiamma Safari Rooms should be rock solid with all that ironwork and connecting strips, I had to modify the side panels by having long strips stitched in the top for awning poles and connecting these poles to the drum of the canopy with home made brackets. I have now modified my original setup by adding more internal bracing and I use two lorry ratchet straps over the top to try and stop the flapping, not totally successful but acceptable. The structure has endured some quite severe weather without incident but is put up for 6 months over the Winter, definitely not a set up you would want to cart around in a motorhome.

The setup looked a little tidier this year with the addition of two vertical corner poles to attach the front and sides too, maybe a little more tweaking next Winter:)

IMG_1179 (929 x 697).jpg IMG_1493 (929 x 697).jpg IMG_1494 (600 x 450).jpg IMG_1495 (929 x 697).jpg IMG_1496 (929 x 697).jpg IMG_1497 (929 x 697).jpg

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Omnistore and Fiamma Safari Rooms should be rock solid with all that ironwork and connecting strips, I had to modify the side panels by having long strips stitched in the top for awning poles and connecting these poles to the drum of the canopy with home made brackets. I have now modified my original setup by adding more internal bracing and I use two lorry ratchet straps over the top to try and stop the flapping, not totally successful but acceptable. The structure has endured some quite severe weather without incident but is put up for 6 months over the Winter, definitely not a set up you would want to cart around in a motorhome.

The setup looked a little tidier this year with the addition of two vertical corner poles to attach the front and sides too, maybe a little more tweaking next Winter:)

View attachment 102896 View attachment 102897 View attachment 102898 View attachment 102899 View attachment 102901 View attachment 102902

I couldnt lift and stretch with the damned panel these days even if I wanted to, which is a valid point. As we get a tad older, and have more time out to visit shows, seeing some of these fantastic awnings, we seem to forget that they arrived at said same show in a big lorry, and were erected using three bouncers, a crane and an elephant. :(

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We have a Fiamma awning with a Thule room. No problems though we did have the little brackets fitted by the Thule retailer. If you can get the installation instructions online that may help.

OP
OP
tw1nklestar

tw1nklestar

Free Member
Sep 19, 2015
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Just watched the video. Far to much faffing!!
Quite like the look of the lilypad ones. Looked at parrotsol but that reminds of something made from a builders bag :wink:

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Omnistor rooms don't fit Fiamma, and vice versa, simples
Also you buy correct manufacturer by width and rail height, so It makes section very difficult, second hand
Oh and don't forget colour:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back