Omg We've Only Gone And Done It!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
Just got home from Stafford Showground where we took a huge plunge and ordered a Swift Bolero Black Edition 712sb.:whatthe::whatthe:

Can't wait until it's on our driveway and ready to go (in about 10 days we're told).

We hired a motorhome for a week years ago, and toured Scotland. We loved the feeling of freedom that it gave us and have thought about owning one on and off since then. Although we have visited lots of shows and dealers, it has taken us around 10 years in total to actually do it. I should mention that we did buy/own a static caravan in the meantime because the kids were with us and we thought a motorhome might be a bit cramped.....but the freedom of a motorhome was always on our minds. It only took a few short years for us to get a bit bored with being stuck in one place with the static so it had to go. Now we go away without the kids, a motorhome fits the bill so we are ready for the big adventure (gulp!!!)

We have two small dogs (bichon frise and chihuahua) who will be coming with us when we are in UK. We are also planning on touring parts of Europe (France to start with) but haven't decided whether we will take the dogs with us yet, perhaps when we are a bit more experienced.

Hopefully the more experienced amongst you will give me some valuable tips on motorhoming with dogs? Plus any other good advice from seasoned travellers would be much appreciated too.....

Jacky

OP
OP
Ja63

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
Well, we've survived our first night!

We just got back from a night on a site. We needed hookup because we haven't sorted the inverter/second leisure battery yet and I can't survive without a hairdryer.
Our only issues were that the shower turned cold after a couple of minutes so we need to get the boiler instructions out to fathom out what we did wrong. We thought we had followed all the setting instructions from the handover but something didn't work out right! Anyway, luckily I had just rinsed the shampoo off my hair when it turned cold so although I had had a soaking, I wasnt able to have a proper shower. Anyone with the Alde system got any pointers?
The other problem was that the grey waste disposal point was a drain in a fenced off area, so we couldn't park over it.......does that mean we need to carry a grey waste hose to reach the waste points or was it unusual for it to be like that? I always thought you just parked over it. So we have had to return home with our grey waste and will have to empty it with a bucket down our house drains.
Apart from those little things we have a really cosy and comfy night and enjoyed a nice meal, nice walks with our dogs and a reasonably good nights sleep...woken only by heavy rain which had stopped by time we got up!

Looking forward to Round 2 in two weeks time......

Upvote 0

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Well, we've survived our first night!

We just got back from a night on a site. We needed hookup because we haven't sorted the inverter/second leisure battery yet and I can't survive without a hairdryer.

Looking forward to Round 2 in two weeks time......

Others know a lot more about this than me, but I think you need a big inverter if you're going to run a hairdryer, which in turn will drain the battery(ies) quickly.
I've got 2 x 75aH leisure batteries and a 300watt inverter, so a hairdryer off grid is a no go, AFAIK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
An inverter will kill your batteries in no time, you would have to run the engine when using it, you may be better off with a generator for the hair dryer.

Grey Waste disposal on sites is usually accommodated at a Motor Home Service Point with a drive over drain, the one in the enclosure is for tuggers. There are some sites where it can be difficult to get over the drain so, our mh is equipped with a length of drainage hose which can be deployed when needed.
Some mhers carry a tugger type waste tank for convenience, we rely upon a collapsible bucket to empty the tank if there is no service point. There are some I understand who may adopt a different solution but, I personally abhor such behaviour.:eek:

Hope you enjoy your new MH.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ja63

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
Here we are, parked up for the night at Woodlands site in Ashbourne. Met some nice people and our two dogs met some new furry friends.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
We have just returned from our first weekend away in our New Bolero too very happy with it and shortly going away in her for 9mths to the sun! We carry a wastemaster and store in the shower in transit, we didn't use the heating but hot water takes about 15 mins to heat up the tank and I had a good shower, I have long hair so takes a while and yes I use a hairdryer too! Good luck with your next trip keep us posted!
image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ja63

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
Gin Palace ....... Seeing as you have probably got exactly the same hot water system as us (Alde), Can I ask roughly how long you showered for and was the water quite warm? I didn't turn the water on until I was in the cubicle then as soon as it ran warm, I shampoo'd my shoulder length hair quickly, then rinsed it off. By then the water was already starting to cool and by time I had soaped and rinsed my face it was frrreeeezing! I'd say the water ran freezing cold in less than 4 minutes......I wasn't expecting it to be a red-hot power shower but I hoped for a bit more than that!

When you say you used a hairdryer, do you mean on hook-up or have you got extra battery/solar/inverter/generator added to the original leisure battery and single solar panel???

Is a wastemaster a roll along tank that you empty your grey waste into then wheel it over to the emptying point?

Sorry for all the questions....

Have to say, I'm really envious of you taking off for 9 months.....we've got to make do with a few years of weekends and maybe 3 or 4 weeks holidays a year in ours before we can plan extended trips. My husband runs a business and is a bit of a workaholic, I'm trying to encourage him to 'let go' a bit but he likes to be involved in everything that is going on. We're both 52 now and always said we would retire at 55......how I wish I had made him sign a legally binding contract to that effect!! Mind you, since buying the Moho he is really excited about having it so perhaps he'll surprise me?

Upvote 0

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
Hi
We have taken early retirement me 48 hubby 56 life is too short and we've had some people very close to us pass away too young including my only sister to Cancer so we have been spurred on that work isn't everything but life is for living don't waste time thinking just do it!
Yes the wastemaster is a pull along with wheels. Yes MH was on a hook up of 16amp electric so no probs with hairdryer or straighteners!
The Aldi hot water tank takes about 15/20 mins to heat up and I had a very hot shower for about 10 mins no probs make sure you set the control with the shower sign to over halfway we have a solar panel put not needed as we are on ehu
Hope this helps
Rachel

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: Hi we've just got back from a very wet VDub festival!! Our Bolero went very well indeed. We had no hook-up and used our shower every day for four days. We put the heater on for at least 20 mins and have plenty of very hot water, enough for both of us to shower. Perhaps you need to put the heater on for a bit longer :smiley: It was a bit of a baptism of fire for me as Mr Spritely cant drive at the moment and I drove out this morning over very wet, soggy, sinky mud but the van went well and we got home unscathed, it's a lovely van to drive. Very envious of Gin Palace going away for 9mths. We're off to France next month for 2 weeks with family and if we get on ok (that is with me driving) we'll be going back again for some hot weather over the winter months (I think winter has already arrived on the IOW!) Sue :smiley:

Upvote 0

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
:smiley: Hi we've just got back from a very wet VDub festival!! Our Bolero went very well indeed. We had no hook-up and used our shower every day for four days. We put the heater on for at least 20 mins and have plenty of very hot water, enough for both of us to shower. Perhaps you need to put the heater on for a bit longer :smiley: It was a bit of a baptism of fire for me as Mr Spritely cant drive at the moment and I drove out this morning over very wet, soggy, sinky mud but the van went well and we got home unscathed, it's a lovely van to drive. Very envious of Gin Palace going away for 9mths. We're off to France next month for 2 weeks with family and if we get on ok (that is with me driving) we'll be going back again for some hot weather over the winter months (I think winter has already arrived on the IOW!) Sue :smiley:
Hi Sue!
Sounds like we are all happy so far we love ours and are itching to get going and escape the typical British summer weather hope we meet across the waters sometime! Give us a wave!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ja63

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
Thank Sue and Rachel.....we are obviously doing something wrong with our shower (or perhaps something isn't working properly and we need to speak to the dealer about it). But it's reassuring to know that it SHOULD be a fairly decent shower!

Not sure whether this is connected or not but when we check the 'Levels' on our control panel, neither the cab battery or leisure battery are ever showing as fully charged.....even after a two hour run....they are still two lights off the 'full' reading. When we used the shower we were on hookup anyway so I doubt if this is related to the shower problem but maybe it is an indication that our electrics just aren't working properly overall.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: Hi, Mr Spritely has just taken me out to the van to demonstrate what he means when he says: " it is perfectly normal for the batteries to be less than 14. It only goes up to 14 when they are on charge. For the hot water, check the Alde control panel, go to menu and look at shower symbol, it has a positive and minus beside it, in normal operation the volume bar should be half black. So both heating and hot water are working, when you press + you boost the hot water and the heating system is disabled for 30 mins and water is heated to no more than 65 degrees, after 30 mins the system reverts to hot water normal" I just about understood this :) but if you google Alde UK heating instructions you can download user manual which may help you more. Good luck :smiley:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back