OMG Sygic Truck - useless! (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
just this weekend google maps told me a road (the A3) was shut and my Sygic said it wasn’t and I should use it. The google was wrong, and Sygic correct. Sygic has also routed me correctly through Rouen France where Google wanted me to take the standard, but too low route.

They all have their issues

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Spoiler Alert!
Robert must be using The Morelo VIP (soon to be owners) version of Google maps, that wouldn't dare take you down a narrow road,as it only uses toll routes:rofl:
Sorry Robert couldn't resist that:whistle2:
LES

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It must do Jock as it thinks you are in a car, surely?
My sentiments entirely Paul.
You only have too look at the number of Easter European Truck drivers relying on Google maps, who have come unstuck here in Britain, never mind anywhere else across Europe. :whatthe:

That's why there was a call from the LGAs to ban HGV drivers from using car specific Sat Navs, back in 2017.
I don't know if anything came of it though.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Keeping map data up to date takes time and money.
If you don't subscribe towards the cost of maintenance, it's a bit rich to expect the data to be accurate.
Paid over £100 for truck map data. I expect it to be reasonable. As someone has said, the problem more likely is in the software than in the maps

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
One issue to consider with Google maps is that they use data, which may be an issue for some people when roaming abroad.
I’m not sure how much data it uses, but it’s worth considering

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive done this with roads I'm concerned about, and even done the streetview to home in on the tricky looking places.

JockandRita , just to answer your earlier question Jock, Yes I ve been caught out before and during the various satnavs but always managed to extract myself. I get your recommendation for Sygic but tbh I could not see myself putting total faith in any device because they re all only as good as the data. The other day when I was on the M6 in a truck I found myself contemplating the thought of them being driven by AI and its simply terrifying.

Jon

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I get your recommendation for Sygic
Not from me Jon, as I've never used Sygic so can't comment on it.

@JockandRita , just to answer your earlier question Jock, Yes I ve been caught out before and during the various satnavs but always managed to extract myself.
Ditto Jon, but since using a SatNav with iGo software and Truck specific mapping (containing .ftr files) in the MH, I've not been caught out.
I have often applied driver logic and avoided going down a route, as instructed by the lovely Katie or Jane ;) because it didn't look right, only to later find out that it was the correct route after all. :doh:

My passenger (the Boss) gets more agitated and concerned about some routes than I do, especially now with the Flair being taller. I don't get it myself. ;)

Cheers,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All this comes down to the old paper map, me, I follow Google to the end of the earth, but then Julie insists on having a map book on her knee just for interest , and if she sees a better road or bridges or more scenic or something coming up will say and we then decide which one we are going to believe to follow.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
My sentiments entirely Paul.
You only have too look at the number of Easter European Truck drivers relying on Google maps, who have come unstuck here in Britain, never mind anywhere else across Europe. :whatthe:
Round our way a new road was opened a couple of months ago and part of the old road closed. This was updated overnight in Google Maps and which now frequently has European trucks sitting on the roundabout puzzling over where they went wrong, so many are not using Google Maps.
The advantage of Waze and Google maps is that their update services are quick and automatic along with live police safety cameras updates. If they offer a truck version/motorhome version I would willingly pay up.
After having a Garmin which tried to send me across a 6'6" wide bridge, wanted me to try to turn 320 degrees to save 30yd and which failed intermittently if used over 2 hours; TomTom giving up on their lifetime App; I have given up on Sat Navs.
Camper Contact and being able to tap through to Maps along with watching for low bridges etc will do me as the acceptable balance between convenience and cost compared with anything else on the market.

Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Re Sygic Truck, I'd just mention that the premium licence can only be used on one device at a time. Sygic GPS can be used on up to three devices, but each device requires a premium licence for Sygic Truck.

This isn't mentioned anywhere afaik, and asking the question on Help directs to the Sygic GPS with its three devices. I wanted to run it on two or three devices, paid for premium then found out.

Jun 20, 2021
Shipley, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson - Soon!
Paid a lot of money for Sygic Truck 3 year licence about 18 months ago and have been complaining about it off and on ever since. Firstly because despite it saying I takes into account weight and size for RV/Motorhomne routing, they admitted that it doesn't if you are over 3.5t. They said they would be correcting this.

Also had some terrible routing decisions and lack of rerouting.

I have been receiving their updated releases for testing and have been hoping these would be corrected. Decided to take the van out for trip today just because it had been standing a while. Set the SatNav for a destination in a village about 13 miles away on Motorhome setting - navigation said it would take an hour (!) to get there. (Google maps said 28 minutes)

So, off we went - Sygic decided I should take a narrow lane route - so narrow in fact that I ended up at a 6' 6" wide bridge which I clearly couldn't cross - fortunately I was aware but just wanted to see what it did. OK, turn around, set it to Truck and try again - same result 6'6" wide bridge on the route. Did take me an hour in the end due to the route it chose.

Came back and Sygic just couldn't sort it out - eventually just reverted to Google maps for sensible route via main roads.

Don't buy this app!
Still no better! I tried it out, input all the relevant weight/size data and then plotted a route from mine to York (33 miles). It initially took me out of my village via a route that is totally unsuitable to anything much bigger than a Land Rover! Including a 3.5t weight limit bridge and a VERY narrow lane!! Bloody useless.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Still no better! I tried it out, input all the relevant weight/size data and then plotted a route from mine to York (33 miles). It initially took me out of my village via a route that is totally unsuitable to anything much bigger than a Land Rover! Including a 3.5t weight limit bridge and a VERY narrow lane!! Bloody useless.
I have been switching between Sygic Truck and copilot truck of late running on my iPad - Sygic seems to have improved. I also have either google or apple maps running on CarPlay, however a typical exchange when navigating out of town whatever I am using runs like this...

SatNav: turn left
Me, take a quick look: I don't think so - drive on
SatNav : turn left
etc

Even when the turn left is a perfectly fine road you can see cars parked on both sides presenting a narrow challenge!

My rule of thumb is that if a bus or bin lorry goes that way then that will be an OK route - and I still get in a mess! :LOL:

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Paid a lot of money for Sygic Truck 3 year licence about 18 months ago and have been complaining about it off and on ever since. Firstly because despite it saying I takes into account weight and size for RV/Motorhomne routing, they admitted that it doesn't if you are over 3.5t. They said they would be correcting this.

Also had some terrible routing decisions and lack of rerouting.

I have been receiving their updated releases for testing and have been hoping these would be corrected. Decided to take the van out for trip today just because it had been standing a while. Set the SatNav for a destination in a village about 13 miles away on Motorhome setting - navigation said it would take an hour (!) to get there. (Google maps said 28 minutes)

So, off we went - Sygic decided I should take a narrow lane route - so narrow in fact that I ended up at a 6' 6" wide bridge which I clearly couldn't cross - fortunately I was aware but just wanted to see what it did. OK, turn around, set it to Truck and try again - same result 6'6" wide bridge on the route. Did take me an hour in the end due to the route it chose.

Came back and Sygic just couldn't sort it out - eventually just reverted to Google maps for sensible route via main roads.

Don't buy this app!
Demand your brass back

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

I have been switching between Sygic Truck and copilot truck of late running on my iPad - Sygic seems to have improved. I also have either google or apple maps running on CarPlay, however a typical exchange when navigating out of town whatever I am using runs like this...

SatNav: turn left
SatNav : turn left
etc

Even when the turn left is a perfectly fine road you can see cars parked on both sides presenting a narrow challenge!

My rule of thumb is that if a bus or bin lorry goes that way then that will be an OK route - and I still get in a mess! :LOL:
It would appear that neither of the systems both of you are using, have the "all important .ftr Truck Files. :(

Many Sat Navs or Apps claiming to be Truck Sat Navs systems, arrive with all the mapping with files, ie, .fbl, .fpa, .fsp, .fda, and .fjw...................but not the all important .ftr, which is the necessary Truck File recognising the dimensions and weights entered, and steers you clear of unsuitable routes or hazards for your type of vehicle, according to it's size, weight, length, number of axles, and (declared) hazardous goods.
I know, as I have updated many brand new units claiming to be Truck Sat Navs, which have been nothing other than Car Sat Navs, but once the correct files are installed, the units become completely different in their own right, as Truck Sat Navs.

Even if not a Truck, but used in "Car" mode, you still need the .ftr file for the unit or App to recognise dimensions and weights, etc, of your vehicle, especially a MH.

I used to subscribe to Co-Pilot, where you could enter the dimensions, etc, and it would actually guide you correctly for that size and weight of vehicle, but things changed, (a takeover or change of software possibly), and the system became absolutely useless for anything other than a car.

iGo software, and up to date HERE mapping with the correct .ftr files are absolutely spot on, and is the way to go.

PaulKW and ceejayt, can either of you connect your units or SD cards, directly to a PC, and access the files installed to check for .ftr Truck Files? With the Apps, I wouldn't know how to access the files on those to check.

Cheers,

Last edited:
OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It would appear that neither of the systems both of you are using, have the "all important .ftr Truck Files. :(

Many Sat Navs or Apps claiming to be Truck Sat Navs systems, arrive with all the mapping with files, ie, .fbl, .fpa, .fsp, .fda, and .fjw...................but not the all important .ftr, which is the necessary Truck File recognising the dimensions and weights entered, and steers you clear of unsuitable routes or hazards for your type of vehicle, according to it's size, weight, length, number of axles, and (declared) hazardous goods.
I know, as I have updated many brand new units claiming to be Truck Sat Navs, which have been nothing other than Car Sat Navs, but once the correct files are installed, the units become a complete different in their own right as Truck Sat Navs.

Even if not a Truck, but used in "Car" mode, you still need the .ftr file for the unit or App to recognise dimensions and weights, etc, of your vehicle.

I used to subscribe to Co-Pilot, where you could enter the dimensions, etc, and it would actually guide you correctly for that size and weight of vehicle, but things changed, (a takeover or change of software possibly), and the system became absolutely useless for anything other than a car.

iGo software, and up to date HERE mapping with the correct .ftr files are absolutely spot on, and is the way to go.

PaulKW and ceejayt, can either of you connect your units or SD cards, directly to a PC, and access the files installed to check for .ftr Truck Files? With the Apps, I wouldn't know how to access the files on those, to check.

Cheers,

Will see what I can see

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Did try initially - wall, head, banging - arrange as appropriate
try the ‘Not fit for purpose’ report them to trading standards, it sounds like others have had similar issues so the evidence is there that it’s crap for MH’s

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back