OMG Sygic Truck - useless! (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Whilst Google Maps is 'ok' on my Android phone, I haven't found a way to create custom routes, I never let any device work out my route, why would you?

So it's Garmin and Mapsource for me all the time... plus decent maps to plot my routes.

Try this video, you can add as many waypoints in google maps as you need pretty much.

On a phone, search for your destination, tap directions at the bottom left of the screen, the next screen shows a box with your start location above your destination location, tap the three dots to the right of the start location box and then tap add stop you can then search for your next waypoint and keep adding them as required, once done you can change the order of stops just by dragging them up or down.

I hope that's useful

Chris

Last edited:
OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Can you use Google maps off line or do you need a phone signal all the time ?
It needs to be online if you want traffic information. You can download 'areas' to use offline.

One clever thing it does, once you have selected a route, it downloads that area automatic so if you lose signal you are still okay.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
been looking at Garmin 780 for £300 instead of 380 at Halfords is it any good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
JockandRita thanks for the recommendation have ordered one.

Any pointers as to where you sourced the HERE truck maps from and how to load onto the XGody device. Any help would be appreciated.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
JockandRita thanks for the recommendation have ordered one.

Any pointers as to where you sourced the HERE truck maps from and how to load onto the XGody device. Any help would be appreciated.
Visit the Nozatec Truck Sat Nav Users UK Facebook site, updates appear here regularly along with comprehensive update instructions, Q4 2019 update appeared yesterday!

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Great, thanks?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm a fan of google maps particularly like the traffic information. I rely on eyes and common sense for the truck settings but then I'm frequently in a truck.
20190601_121009.jpg
jongood Fortunately, my experiment with Google maps, was in the car Jon, on my way to Leicester, and as said, I know the area very well.
Without being able to enter the parameters in Google maps for your artic, have you honestly never been caught out, by a lack of signage eg, narrow road, or low bridge.. I've not since using Truck mapping. ;)
I totally agree with your comment re common sense, etc, ie, if it doesn't look right, it probably won't be.
I've taken (as I'm sure you have too) artics in to small family run businesses out in the middle of the sticks somewhere, where I wouldn't even want to take a car and a caravan. :rofl:

I did, early yesterday morning when I placed the link for the 9" unit. ;)
As @Scotsblood above, I source my updates from the Nozatec Users Facebook Group. (y)

Visit the Nozatec Truck Sat Nav Users UK Facebook site, updates appear here regularly along with comprehensive update instructions, Q4 2019 update appeared yesterday!
Kraken, it's as your man says, but you need to follow the instruction explicitly.............................and before you do anything, you must back up your unit maps first. Good luck. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As you cant risk trusting the truck navs 100% and still have to check routes I will stick with tomtom go for £15 a year I have latest world maps, speed cameras, traffic and can use it on multiple devices.
Tomtom AmiGo is now available for free also for those who dont want to pay.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm amazed at how often this topic comes around and how Funsters say words to the effect "this is definitely the best why would you even consider anything else".
Given there's always more than one "best ever" surely it should be a case of what suits each individual the best for whatever their reason? Or am I missing something?:unsure:

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
JockandRita, interesting to note that Sygic use HERE map data (from update email received today).

I wonder why the Sygic version keeps ignoring dimensions and sending me on totally unsuitable routes. Must be to do with their routing algorithms, I assume?

791029fd2ca5aeb04851f422c90ab57af088437c9c89c0520581a719e76bcbcf
The roads are always changing. But have you ever wondered how the road network is affected?
In the last 12 months, Here, has registered in Europe and Russia millions of changes in maps, including:

1.465,921 km
roads
street names
road directional signs
1.056,587 km
speed limits
That's why up-to-date maps are the necessity. By updating your maps, you will not only get to your destination faster and safer, but you will also save money and protect the environment by reducing the carbon footprint and kilometers driven.

eJyVkj2P2zAMhn9NshgOSH1ryHDXrN3aOaAkOnERfyCWB__7Kr5cnSu6dLANme_zgKSdjlrGxu3bowABIBHBl8sc8KBPTuC7Fca9IUqjdwq4o_Z2mJZLGw9x6PbXY8ONDQRgsdyc0eSkaJqQIClkE9z-flyhqac2X4visioecLfUcZ7y0NWJMh139n0nRCmM1C_nNpXDTr5V5aEIPWiramkl14jsai8C1NIlrWwkYBceafHtkf5w8v2LQsfkY0SwzsrgAQDRmTLPhq1dnq80XTdKOoXBSw1RKgjCMxIbFxJzBBN8VE2ElBqDFpUGxT6RSt4r1JIBjdrs430Y-Z5bnj7t67QUczv0W6fyGX--76njrZvyeQTaqq6-01j9HMvSPmxfkLyML8g61MtqqCy3vfRfV8PSSycbSRrYqOAoIDeC_oH9Tz9_oHG4tXHZsBM3NN_ylrxRf5np8mLeahP3-ZzbjqdcfM8Eaic92vK3HbwSRvnP8Bx-ccyb50cBqzxU89pctQzzvepoLF3iI2RPTzBPf5ttKf4GMpPanQ

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Keeping map data up to date takes time and money.
If you don't subscribe towards the cost of maintenance, it's a bit rich to expect the data to be accurate.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
two, if your comment is aimed at me, look at post #9 you will see that I took out the Sygic three year subscription which is still valid.

Accordingly, I really don't understand your comment as I have contributed the required funds value that Sygic set for the use of their product for three years.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Not at all. I've noticed many (valid) complaints about SatNav capability and expectations tend to be way beyond what is reasonable. There's no such thing as 'free lunch'.
My early satnav used to cost £280 per update - rather a lot for only occasional use. Then I moved to Here maps (very common now) and found them to be awful in terms of data accuracy but there was no charge for support, so what should I expect? I'm not sure how anyone can compete against the likes of GoggleMaps (which are not much better), for which there is no direct charge.
Speaking of that company, it's a shame that (having snooped around almost every byway and highway) they don't provide details of where the things useful to navigation are. I mean traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, traffic calming measures and visible landmarks. We're being fobbed off by marketing people suggesting that their latest product is even better, yet improvements have been only marginal since the 1980's.
I've tried many different systems and cannot recommend any of them. They will get you to your destination if you can enter it correctly (eventually) but not always in a satisfactory way.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not at all. I've noticed many (valid) complaints about SatNav capability and expectations tend to be way beyond what is reasonable. There's no such thing as 'free lunch'.
My early satnav used to cost £280 per update - rather a lot for only occasional use. Then I moved to Here maps (very common now) and found them to be awful in terms of data accuracy but there was no charge for support, so what should I expect? I'm not sure how anyone can compete against the likes of GoggleMaps (which are not much better), for which there is no direct charge.
Speaking of that company, it's a shame that (having snooped around almost every byway and highway) they don't provide details of where the things useful to navigation are. I mean traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, traffic calming measures and visible landmarks. We're being fobbed off by marketing people suggesting that their latest product is even better, yet improvements have been only marginal since the 1980's.
I've tried many different systems and cannot recommend any of them. They will get you to your destination if you can enter it correctly (eventually) but not always in a satisfactory way.
You can set Google to satilite view and see the route in actual photos.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We gave up on sat nav’s a while ago and now only ever use google maps
The best sat nav we ever had
Hi Robert
Can you set Google maps for width & height restrictions?, cos I haven't seen that option, it thinks we are a small car, and takes us down some very narrow roads, with nice side scratching hedges:eek:
Thanks
LES

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
You can plan your route in Google Maps and then send to a Satnav device/mobile/tablet running Sygic, by using the Sygic Truck Route extension (Chrome and Firefox only).https://www.sygic.com/enterprise/use-case/truck-routes-from-google-maps.

This extension does work however, whilst Sygic claim it 'Automatically avoids all roads unsuitable for your truck' in practice, unless you have forensically examined the detail of entire route in Google Maps to ensure it is suitable for your particular motorhome unit dimensions and weight, you find that when following the Sygic route instructions you still come up against the well documented shortcomings of the Sygic Satnav application.

As has been said in previous posts it appears there is no perfect Satnav application, its down to personal preference and confidence in the hardware/software you decide to use.............and a modicum of common sense.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Robert
Can you set Google maps for width & height restrictions?, cos I haven't seen that option, it thinks we are a small car, and takes us down some very narrow roads, with nice side scratching hedges:eek:
Which is why I did my experiment with Google maps in the car, and not the MH. As far as I am aware, there is no facility to input dimensions or weights.

two. The current HERE mapping software/Sat Nav hardware I am using, allows me to choose on screen icons of hazards ahead, as well as the distances up to 1 Km, such as junctions, level crossings, sharp bends, schools, hospitals, low bridges, etc, etc.

chaser. Does Google maps either in 2D or satellite view provide that info? ;)

Cheers,

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You can set Google to satilite view and see the route in actual photos.
Impressive stuff. I don't tend to look at the screen though, because I'm driving.
I rate SatNags on their verbal instructions instead. I think we should be at a stage where they will avoid traffic calming measures when routing and tell me to turn left (say) at the next set of traffic lights or after "The Red Lion" (etc).
I have to use "free" services in my car because it requires CarPlay for navigation but it's not bad at doing what's required (I like the voice response bit). It's not much good for motorhomes, however.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
two. The current HERE mapping software/Sat Nav hardware I am using, allows me to choose on screen icons of hazards ahead, as well as the distances up to 1 Km, such as junctions, level crossings, sharp bends, schools, hospitals, low bridges, etc, etc.

Cheers,

[/QUOTE]
Yes, I could do that, too. My bitch was that the data is wrong. On my very first trip, it tried to take me under a low arch that it didn't know about (in Ludlow) and it was clear that other data was not up to date (weight limits, one-way streets, ...) So I don't rate HERE.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Do you prefer TomTom mapping instead? Between the two, I prefer HERE.

Cheers,

TomTom was an early one I used. I liked the fact that you could load your own POI and even speed cameras.
At that time I wasn't driving a motorhome, so was not so concerned about weights & dimensions, although low bridges and other hazards could easily be added. I then used Garmin, which I liked for other reasons.
All the various ones I've tried have had a poor user interface, ambiguous verbal instructions, and inaccurate data. All of them.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Robert
Thanks
LES
You don’t need so set dimensions in Google Maps Les
We’ve been using it for a while now and have found it much more reliable than our Garmin unit,
Furthermore we never have to input coordinates. Google maps is seamlessly integrated into Campercontact. No other sat nav offers this

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
They allude to using HERE maps in their update email received today (post #42).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
You don’t need so set dimensions in Google Maps Les
I do appreciate your preference for Google maps Robert (y) but apart from "driver common sense" (which should always prevail ;) ), how do you keep yourself clear of routes which are, or may be unsuitable for your size and weight of vehicle?

Cheers,

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I do appreciate your preference for Google maps Robert (y) but apart from "driver common sense" (which should always prevail ;) ), how do you keep yourself clear of routes which are, or may be unsuitable for your size and weight of vehicle?

Cheers,

Never had a problem Jock from Norway to Greece
I guess Google Maps keeps improving based on millions of users in real time

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Never had a problem Jock from Norway to Greece
I guess Google Maps keeps improving based on millions of users in real time
Are you saying that the Google maps have never taken you down unsuitable routes, for your size and weight of MH?

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back